RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Group Work is Evil
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Why Group Work is Evil

Group work--any school assignment for which a group of people are forced to work together and receive a group grade--has to be one of the most evil creations of the school system. Group work mixes school performance with social acceptance; it motivates people to work harder by creating a fear of being rejected by their classmates.

For the sake of this explanation, I'll divide students into two categories. (I used to be in the first one, but now I'm in the second.)
  1. Those who care about their schooling and manage to get good grades
  2. Those who care about their schooling but do not manage to get good grades and those who do not care about their schooling
All group work encourages the group to divide up its tasks. This can be done directly through a grade on teamwork or indirectly through a large assignment that is difficult for one person to finish on his own. (This doesn't really apply for simple group assignments that one person can complete without help, but those aren't really group assignments then.) Normally, the groups contain students from each of the two categories because the teacher assigned them that way on purpose.

If students from category 1 are grouped with those in category 2, the students from category 1 have to push the other people to do their share of the work. Those in category 1 to avoid taking a complete leadership role, however, because they don't want to seem overbearing and don't want to be held responsible if the group does not get a good grade.

The students in category 2 in the group will be content with a lower grade than will the students in category 1, but the students in category 2 feel obligated to do good work because the grades of their peers, who care about grades, depend on their work. These students can't do work of that quality, however, which can lead to hostility between students of the different categories.

Group work is like cutting teachers' salaries when their unmodivated students don't pass standardized tests.
05-06-2007 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

You're absolutely right.
05-06-2007 06:55 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

And don't even get me started on group punishments. That's even worse.
05-06-2007 07:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Definitely evil. I usually ended up doing most of the work on group projects... either because the others conveniently disappeared when we were supposed to work on it, or they just figured I'd do a better job anyway. Grrrr...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-06-2007 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Cosbydaf Wrote:And don't even get me started on group punishments. That's even worse.
A friend of mine was in a group that got a score of 35 (U) on a chapter (novel) summary, and his group had to do summaries and character analysises for chapters 1-6 from the novel. And when I was in a group, I did all the work. My so called "partners" sat there and talked and had fun as I typed away doing the presentation, the summary, and the character analysis. They read their share (but they read like shit since their ghetto and dumb as always), and we winded up getting a score of 75 (B), and another "partner" was absent, so that's part of what made it a 75.

In conclusion, I hate group projects whenever I work with irresponsible, stupid, and damn near illiterate ghetto kids. That's why I work alone, and that's why I feel I should only be partnered up with the smarter students in the class come the time I should be forced to work with others in group projects.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
05-06-2007 01:20 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i sometimes like group stuff and sometimes i don't. the times i do, i get away with doing nothing, but the times i don't are when i get put into a group who are total perfectionists and expect nothing short of their expectations. during the latter, i usually have do work, which i never like Smile
05-06-2007 03:08 PM
haza Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

group work can piss you off heaps i hate it when your in the group with the snob nosed rich girl that always gets her way it really pisses me like shell say lets do a report on barbie dolls ( she hasnt matured yet ) and the teacher goes what a great idea and the other people go nooooooooooo we are not doing this and she says cmon as if you wouldnt like barbie dolls then we all say " fuck you " and she goes home and plays with her barbie dolls

so I stole your good luck stick charm ey? Why dont you just sue me??????
05-06-2007 08:16 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I hate the snobby girls who act ghetto or think the universe is all about them. To my luck most girls I met in my school are like that But on a side note its funny to mess with their heads to the point of them crying or trying to get the teacher on me. they call it mental harassment. Evil

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-28-2007 03:32 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Dark Soul X Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:And don't even get me started on group punishments. That's even worse.
A friend of mine was in a group that got a score of 35 (U) on a chapter (novel) summary, and his group had to do summaries and character analysises for chapters 1-6 from the novel. And when I was in a group, I did all the work. My so called "partners" sat there and talked and had fun as I typed away doing the presentation, the summary, and the character analysis. They read their share (but they read like shit since their ghetto and dumb as always), and we winded up getting a score of 75 (B), and another "partner" was absent, so that's part of what made it a 75.

In conclusion, I hate group projects whenever I work with irresponsible, stupid, and damn near illiterate ghetto kids. That's why I work alone, and that's why I feel I should only be partnered up with the smarter students in the class come the time I should be forced to work with others in group projects.
Look at it from the other side: The ghetto kids must hate it too because they know that they can't avoid lowering your grade.
05-28-2007 06:06 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

wsgosset Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:

Look at it from the other side: The ghetto kids must hate it too because they know that they can't avoid lowering your grade.

No, most dumb kids I know don't really give a schitt either way.
05-28-2007 06:22 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Cosbydaf Wrote:
wsgosset Wrote:
Dark Soul X Wrote:

No, most dumb kids I know don't really give a schitt either way.

Same here. They didn't give a shit, but I wanted to pass, so I wound up doing the work.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
05-28-2007 12:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Perils of Group Work Evan92 10 2,491 01-12-2015 10:49 AM
Last Post: isolatedsystem