RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar Thread
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

cat being raped by a horse.....

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Quote:In reviewing student music profiles, I flagged your account. We are looking for
a 16 year old Grunge Lead Guitarist for our Minneapolis Sessions. Please have
your parent or guardian call me at xxx.xxx.xxxx, between 9am and 5pm Pacific
Time. I need to fill this space by Friday and would really like to get you into
our program!

That's an email I got from a guy at Power Chord Academy.

Has anybody ever been there or heard anything about it?

It sounds like a cool place and I think I might want to go, but it's like 1000 bucks for a week. =/
01-22-2008 10:10 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:
Quote:In reviewing student music profiles, I flagged your account. We are looking for
a 16 year old Grunge Lead Guitarist for our Minneapolis Sessions. Please have
your parent or guardian call me at xxx.xxx.xxxx, between 9am and 5pm Pacific
Time. I need to fill this space by Friday and would really like to get you into
our program!

That's an email I got from a guy at Power Chord Academy.

Has anybody ever been there or heard anything about it?

It sounds like a cool place and I think I might want to go, but it's like 1000 bucks for a week. =/

I dunno, that place seems sorta...rip-offish.
01-22-2008 01:25 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

cryptevah72 Wrote:A. u do have to worry bout tuning, if ur guitar is out of tune, it sounds like crap

B. when you get good at it, you dont look at the fret board

C. it matters what type of guitar

D. I would probably learn it faster if i ever had time to, jeez
A. Ok, if you have ever played a different string instrument other then bass and guitar you'll see that tuning is much more difficult.
I'm not talking about the general tuning of the strings, I meant the tuning of the placement of your fingers. On the guitar you have frets that mark ever spot, they're even raised so you can feel were you are on the fret board (Which is why its so easy to not look at said board)
On a violin, for example, you don't have the luxury of frets. You have to concentrate a lot more on tuning.
B. It's extremely easy to not look at it in the first place. And I was talking about how easy it is to read a tab, whether or not a skilled guitarist doesn't look at the fret board is completely irrevent and pointless.
C. Not really the type of guitar, just its quality. For example a strat or les paul will kick the living shit out of a fatboy because their manufacturers spend a lot more time focuses on better wood, better finishes and have skilled masters to create the instrument. The real difference in the quality of an instrument they people that make it. Because some treat it as their own masterpieces and others just focuses on getting it done and not on the little details that make the guitar worth it.
D. I wasn't personally attacking you in my previous post. I have no idea how you interpreted it that way, but I was just speaking in general terms.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
01-22-2008 03:46 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Freak Wrote:Metal riffs 90% suck because band are more obsessed with their death grunts and not their rhythms. And the great metal bands only focused on their solos, so the harmony part (which makes 95% of the song) is complete shit.
If your talking about death metal, black metal, or most of thrash metal, fien.

But the great metal bands, the entire songs are great.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-22-2008 11:09 PM
Justin :D Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Freak Wrote:
cryptevah72 Wrote:A. u do have to worry bout tuning, if ur guitar is out of tune, it sounds like crap

B. when you get good at it, you dont look at the fret board

C. it matters what type of guitar

D. I would probably learn it faster if i ever had time to, jeez
A. Ok, if you have ever played a different string instrument other then bass and guitar you'll see that tuning is much more difficult.
I'm not talking about the general tuning of the strings, I meant the tuning of the placement of your fingers. On the guitar you have frets that mark ever spot, they're even raised so you can feel were you are on the fret board (Which is why its so easy to not look at said board)
On a violin, for example, you don't have the luxury of frets. You have to concentrate a lot more on tuning.
B. It's extremely easy to not look at it in the first place. And I was talking about how easy it is to read a tab, whether or not a skilled guitarist doesn't look at the fret board is completely irrevent and pointless.
C. Not really the type of guitar, just its quality. For example a strat or les paul will kick the living shit out of a fatboy because their manufacturers spend a lot more time focuses on better wood, better finishes and have skilled masters to create the instrument. The real difference in the quality of an instrument they people that make it. Because some treat it as their own masterpieces and others just focuses on getting it done and not on the little details that make the guitar worth it.
D. I wasn't personally attacking you in my previous post. I have no idea how you interpreted it that way, but I was just speaking in general terms.

Intonation isn't the same as tuning, for future reference Razz

If you find playing from tab too easy, maybe you should buy some sheet music or something and you could de-fret your guitar while you're at it, that should be fun and give you a challenge.
01-23-2008 07:26 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

darthmat Wrote:
Freak Wrote:Metal riffs 90% suck because band are more obsessed with their death grunts and not their rhythms. And the great metal bands only focused on their solos, so the harmony part (which makes 95% of the song) is complete shit.

Morbid Angel, Death, Nile, Gojira

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
01-25-2008 12:44 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

christillusion Wrote:
darthmat Wrote:

Sorry, hate vocals like that.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-25-2008 12:48 PM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

darthmat Wrote:
christillusion Wrote:
darthmat Wrote:

Sorry, hate vocals like that.

Sorry to hear that, but I love them. David Vincent's the greatest death metal vocalist ever.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
01-25-2008 12:54 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

intonation = accuracy of pitch, when putting your finger down
Tuning = general accuracy pitch of the open string

Yeah, I know. I've been in orchestra and band since 6th grade.
I'm just lazy and call everything tuning. Smile

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
01-25-2008 01:40 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Jeebus freak, where have you been? >_>

Anywho...

[Image: 540868.jpg]

Fresh from Namm, a hybrid acoustic-electric guitar. Basically a les paul with an acoustic pickup on the neck.
01-25-2008 01:47 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Fucking sweet axe. Though I don't like black.
01-25-2008 01:48 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

[Image: 542581.jpg]

How bout that? Biggrin
01-25-2008 01:52 PM
Fanatic

Now it looks like a gun :(
01-25-2008 02:05 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

For all teh guitar whores - http://www.guitaretab.com/

01-28-2008 06:03 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Re: Guitar Thread

omfg yay, any chance you know any good music sites for piano?

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
03-02-2008 10:37 AM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

Re:

dot

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
03-13-2008 01:10 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Since I posted there I've become a bass obsessor. Mostly double bass right now. I'm taking a break for the spring break week, but only because I find that if you deprive yourself from musical surrondings for a while you become a million times more interested in playing again. Worked for me and guitar.

You have an acoustic nylon? Nice. I wish I had one right now. I just got a book on solo classical guitar and my cheesy folk guitar has too thin of a neck to really play fingerstyle in the segovia style properly.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
03-16-2008 11:53 AM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

dut

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
03-16-2008 04:38 PM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Re:

Freak Wrote:Actually you are really good, and i'd know, I HAVE heard you play, along with your african drums. Laugh

Man.
I've progressed a lot.

Here's about my equivalent.

that first sweep
tiiight, I can play that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLXfjcM ... re=related

She hates Jazz though. Wtf is that kind of shit?

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
04-18-2008 08:25 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

The One Wrote:Ya, I've broken my e string a LOT. Nylon strings are way too easy to break lol.

The last one I broke while finger picking Wtf I must have plucked too hard... whoops.
Only if you have shitty strings, my nylon strings hold up pretty good on the Alverez.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
04-18-2008 08:26 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Re: Re:

The One Wrote:
Dr. Gonzo Wrote:I played bass for a while wanting to play Primus songs thinking they were easy and fun. Bass is a challenging insturment for sure. Though I'm pretty idle with it now.

Lol, the only thing I can play on bass is the intro to My Name Is Mud by Primus. My drummer friend taught me. Oh, drummers make great bassists btw.

I own a classical acoustic at the moment. It's the kind of guitar you find around your house one afternoon and wonder where it came from. I will eventually buy an SG, probably Gibson, but I'm undecided. I'm not really very educated on guitars other than playing them, so I'm getting one of my friend's opinions on everything before I decide what to get. He's been playing guitar for 4 or 5 years.

First song I learned to play was Powerslave by Iron Maiden. I love that song so much.

P.S. SGs have got to be the coolest design ever. And strats look too.... unwieldy.

Are you kidding me? SG's have got to be one of the ugliest designs ever.

04-18-2008 08:29 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Re:

Freak Wrote:I'd pwn you at blues and classical.
Metal riffs 90% suck because band are more obsessed with their death grunts and not their rhythms. And the great metal bands only focused on their solos, so the harmony part (which makes 95% of the song) is complete shit.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

04-18-2008 08:35 AM
Fanatic

OH SHI QUADRUPLE POST

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
04-18-2008 08:43 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

I've gotten better, but I know shit about music theory. Or chords. I know the C chord and that's it.

I feel like a poser. Am I?
04-18-2008 11:33 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

ATXTheKiller Wrote:I've gotten better, but I know shit about music theory. Or chords. I know the C chord and that's it.

I feel like a poser. Am I?

If you're a poser, I'm a poser.

I don't know any chords or music theory. I just like to play. Biggrin
04-18-2008 12:39 PM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

I know a lot of chords...

04-29-2008 08:17 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

I hate Gibson for making their robot guitar purple. :/

And the SG has a carbon fiber pickguard.....purple and carbon fiber...

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??!?!! HHGAHGAHGAHGAHGHGAFGFFH!!
05-02-2008 04:54 AM
Kitteneater Offline
Revolutionary

I have a fender Squire- the buzziest thingy ever. I've been paying for 3 years, self taught. I think I'm good. But then again, everyone on this thread thinks they're good...I really want to play in a band, but you know how Georgia is- all music that isn't hymnal is SATANIC...I really want a Les Paul. i played this cross Eyed guy's LP one time, and it was sooo smooth sounding and pretty. It was light too, compared to the 5 pound baggage of my dreaded Squire.

....Guys that play really heavy metal scare me. I'll just stick to my Heart, thank you very much.
12-21-2008 08:52 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

could you find an older thread?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
12-21-2008 08:53 AM