RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murray (the other public school)
Didros Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Murray (the other public school)

Murray is a high school located near down town Charlottesville, Virgina. You are required to apply in order to get in, but it it far better then the other pubic schools in the area (not to mention free). I'm a student at Murray and I think that for many it's a great middle ground between public school and un-schooling. We are based on a mastery learning system; That means that when ever a student does any work at all (paper, test, preject, anything at all) it has to be at an 80% or higher. This means that you can not slip though the cracks of school and float on with C's and D's. I think that really helps a lot of people. Also if you are not the conventional learning type then you can creat an alternat assinment to take the place of what ever was assined. In addition if you just have a lot of trouble with a course, you can creat a whole new crose for you to follow instead. There was a student a few years back that travled "cross-countery" and wrote papers about diffrent things he saw along the way; wrote an over veiw paper, and read two books (as required by the goverment) and it counted as an english credit. While at the school you are required to follow R.A.M.P.S. which stands for Respect, Attend, Mediate, participate, and share. So in other words you are required to treat everyone with respect. You have to attend as offten as you can (have to be within the goverment required nuber of sick days). If you have an issue with a teacher, or student you have to sit down and mediate with them. Also you have to participate in class and stay awake. And finally you have to share your telents with the people in the school. Within Murray you also have many freedoms most other schools don't have. We get 5 min. walks, which is where if you tired or can't focus on your work you can go for a 5 min. walka nd just walk around the halls. If a student is caught using a cell phone then they are asked to put it away...and thats it. You don't get sent any where if your in trouble, you have to deal with your problems rather then reciving a punishment and then pertending the problem went away. If you want to know more about the only Glasser Quality school in the U.S. please visit the link below.

the offical website for Murray.
http://schoolcenter.k12albemarle.org/ed ... ilid=23857

If you have any questions please ask here and I'll do my best to awnser.
05-31-2007 03:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply