RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disgusting Assignment
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Disgusting Assignment

The teacher said we were going to do group work, a "communicative" exercise, so that meant we were going to have to talk about some stupid questions. Then she passed out a paper that had all these names on it, with ages and descriptions. At the top it basically said, "Nuclear holocaust. 15 survivers. Fall-out shelter. Only room for 7. Who lives, and who dies?"

I crumpled the paper. I concidered throwing it at the teacher, but decided instead to throw it onto the front desk, which I did. The teacher stared at me. I said, "This is disgusting. I'm not doing it." She said ok, and went on talking about the assignment and put people into groups and then told me I can't throw things in class and asked if I wanted to leave, and I did.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-04-2011 02:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Re: Disgusting Assignment

Prince Rilian Wrote:The teacher said we were going to do group work, a "communicative" exercise, so that meant we were going to have to talk about some stupid questions. Then she passed out a paper that had all these names on it, with ages and descriptions. At the top it basically said, "Nuclear holocaust. 15 survivers. Fall-out shelter. Only room for 7. Who lives, and who dies?".

Holy shit you were actually assigned something like that? I mean I've read about shit like this happening (The book I read it in is nearly 15 years old) but I thought the author was exaggerating a one time event.

Props to you for refusing the assignment. I wouldn't have done that either. There are much better ways to develop communication skills without pitting students against each other in hypothetical life or death scenarios.
02-04-2011 03:02 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Yeah, I think it should just be free talking, about whatever you want.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-04-2011 04:17 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Wow. That's pretty fucked up. I'd rather die than choose some crap like that. Or I'll make my own damn shelter. Or I'll become a super mutant and come back in a hundred years and eat all their brains. Razz

Why not rather let everyone play Fallout 3 in class? Much more fun, and none of the people are real...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-04-2011 04:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

had that assignment given to me 2 times in 2 different classes, Its not that bad. You got a list of people with their ages and skill sets, its not pitting students against each other.

Alot more interesting than most of the stuff you do in class, chill out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
02-04-2011 05:02 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

No, it's not pitting the students against each other directly.

But I don't want to talk about condeming someone because they aren't very good at ... whatever. And before the teacher assigned the groups, she asked for people to have a "lluvia de ideas" about what you would need to start a new society. And someone said "We'd need to have teachers." Bleeeech.

I don't want to talk about how so-and-so isn't "necessary", because it isn't that, it's killing them. It was a list of names and stuff. It makes it like they are real people.

And anyway, if you were really in that situation and those 15 people all knew and liked each other, they would just all go in the shelter together, and when the food got used up, someone or a few of them would go out and get more food. Being exposed to radiation doesn't instantly kill you, and they probably wouldn't want to leave their friends out just to give themselves slightly better chances. After all, they've all already been exposed to a lot of radiation at this point.

If they didn't all like each other, then it might be different. But they still wouldn't be getting lists of each person's skills and shit to decide who goes in. Like, if your spouse and some genius scientist guy are both in danger of dying, you save your spouse, because you love them. If you love them both, then you go for whichever one you can reach first, and then you cry a lot.

I don't like this class anyway, because all of the discussions ask me about my opinions and stuff and I don't want to share my mind or my life with the class or the professor.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-04-2011 05:39 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Is this sociology? Because I had an assignment just like that in my sociology class. Yeah, I was kind of disturbed by the idea too.
02-04-2011 07:21 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Irony gave me one of these assignments right after the lunch I posted that.

Just accept they are not real people and don't take it seriously. Just today one of the choices was "a congress woman world renown for her humanitarian efforts, bla bla bla, many see her as the most likely candidate for the first female president of the USA"

I marked her as least important (ie. NEEDS TO DIE FIRST) under the reasoning "Women belong in the kitchen, not ruling a country. Especially MY country. She needs to die."

my teacher loves me

02-04-2011 08:29 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:my teacher loves me
This is only good if you are joking.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-04-2011 10:01 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

AngryCollegeDude Wrote:Is this sociology? Because I had an assignment just like that in my sociology class. Yeah, I was kind of disturbed by the idea too.
The class is spanish interpersonal communications.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-04-2011 10:01 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:You got a list of people with their ages and skill sets, its not pitting students against each other.

Actually it kind of does. If this were an individual assignment I would agree with you, but its not. It's a group project, and groups have a habit of forcing conformity upon individuals more than they do communication. This assignment has the same psychological basis as the asch conformity experiments that were done it the 1950's. In these experiments, test subjects were placed in a room full of actors and all participatants were given the simple task of determining which of two of four lines on a sheet of paper matched the length.

The test subject would select the correct answer and all the actors would disagree with him, unanimously selecting a different incorrect answer. What the researchers found was that the majority of the time, the test subject would eventually cave in and go along with the group even though he knew it was wrong. In the original experiment, 37 of the 50 subjects, nearly 3 in 4, conformed to the wrong answer.

Watch on YouTube

The same process is going on in Rilians class. Only instead of measuring line length, they're measuring human worth based on nothing but a laundry list of stats on the survivors and thier own, often shared preconceptions on who is worth more to society and who isn't.

tl;dr: It's a lesson on group think, not communication.
02-04-2011 02:58 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Save the heaviest people since there's more meat on them, in case the shelter's food supply runs out.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-04-2011 03:47 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Jesusaurisrex Wrote:my teacher loves me
This is only good if you are joking.

No jokes here boss. My teacher loves it when I'm sexist, she thinks its so funny that she sends me out of the class. Oherwise they would never stop marveling over how amazing my jokes are and nothing would ever get done!

02-04-2011 06:44 PM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

That's seriously fucked.
02-04-2011 07:00 PM
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

the sane answer is..

kill them all. equal treatment among them. If one has to die, then all can suffer the same fate, base your reasoning off of authority figures at times can and will punish a group for the acting out of an individual.

That or there are seven ninja's already in the fallout shelter.
02-10-2011 02:47 PM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Sue your school.
02-11-2011 12:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long ass assignment Geicosuave 3 2,651 02-23-2017 11:36 AM
Last Post: xUnknownSoldazx
  Long Assignment Due Too Early? HighSchoolFailure1337 2 2,266 01-12-2017 06:43 AM
Last Post: Sadly_Not
  Sub's Assignment Workbook! Subb 4 2,335 09-27-2014 04:50 AM
Last Post: Subb
  Pointless English assignment EntityCubed 5 3,965 04-24-2013 06:23 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Disgusting Bell778 23 5,655 05-03-2012 04:35 AM
Last Post: aCol
  This disgusting way of writing... aCol 8 3,526 03-10-2012 09:10 AM
Last Post: aCol
  My Commerce Assignment AWOL 1 1,842 10-21-2010 03:01 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  I have a year 10 I.S.T assignment sheet... AWOL 8 3,543 02-26-2010 08:29 AM