RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuck. School starts within 3 weeks.
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Heart of shadows Wrote:Man if I were a genius the last place I would want to go to is school and the last thing I would want to do is help people or use my *gift* to help the world.
I agree with not being in school, but really? Do you hate ate humanity that much? The fact that I'm not contemplating commiting suicide right now is because I want to help people and make the world a better place when I'm older. Either that or start a war with the global government when it is established and they are trying to microchip us. That's when Jesus will come to kill the Anti-Christ who will rule them.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-18-2007 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

On the first day of school, come into the first period class halfway through.
08-18-2007 11:10 AM
Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Why?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-18-2007 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Because the first post said "I need some fucking great ideas to piss off some teachers".
08-18-2007 12:09 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:On the first day of school, come into the first period class halfway through.
Haha, awesome idea, Although I don't know how I'm going to pull that off, considering I'm going into 7th grade.

Hey, starting a zine is a great idea, I know that alot of my friends would be interested in it, does anyone know a site that has information on how legal this would be? What if I just passed out the zine in the hall, to random people, or put it on the desks before each class... Would that be illigal? What if it had "swear words"(lol) in it, which the school frowns upon, but doesn't have any definitive punishment for? What if the zine was bashing some teachers(That deserve it, and it would NOT be bashing like "OMFG, Mrs. Mirasola is such a fucking bitch asshole donkey-raping shit-eating monkey fucker because she gives too much goddamn fucking homework and she is a fucking whore." Or something. xD It would be honest to goodness reasons, and there would not be a shit-load of swearing in it.

What if a teacher got ahold of the zine, would I still be safe?

Are you sure I'm protected because of the 1st ammendment? Because in 5th grade, I made a petition, and got 20 signatures, to have a teacher unemplyed, and I got half a day of in school suspension...
08-18-2007 02:51 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

coryboy6 Wrote:
Kirby Wrote:On the first day of school, come into the first period class halfway through.
Haha, awesome idea, Although I don't know how I'm going to pull that off, considering I'm going into 7th grade.

Hey, starting a zine is a great idea, I know that alot of my friends would be interested in it, does anyone know a site that has information on how legal this would be? What if I just passed out the zine in the hall, to random people, or put it on the desks before each class... Would that be illigal? What if it had "swear words"(lol) in it, which the school frowns upon, but doesn't have any definitive punishment for? What if the zine was bashing some teachers(That deserve it, and it would NOT be bashing like "OMFG, Mrs. Mirasola is such a fucking bitch asshole donkey-raping shit-eating monkey fucker because she gives too much goddamn fucking homework and she is a fucking whore." Or something. xD It would be honest to goodness reasons, and there would not be a shit-load of swearing in it.

What if a teacher got ahold of the zine, would I still be safe?

Are you sure I'm protected because of the 1st ammendment? Because in 5th grade, I made a petition, and got 20 signatures, to have a teacher unemplyed, and I got half a day of in school suspension...
Dude, don't worry. If your paper gets you suspended or expelled, contact the Student Press Law Center.
http://splc.org

P.S. Yes, your paper, flyer, zine etc. will be protected by the 1st amendment.
From SPLC:

Quote:Q: Do high school students have First Amendment rights? (Same for middle school students, elementry students, etc.)
A: Yes. As the United States Supreme Court said in 1969, "It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional right to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate." But the First Amendment only prohibits government officials from suppressing speech; it does not prevent school censorship at private schools. A state constitution, statute or school policy could provide private school students with free speech protections.

Q: What about the Hazelwood decision?
A: Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, the 1988 U.S. Supreme Court decision, gave public high school officials greater authority to censor some school-sponsored student publications if they chose to do so. But the ruling doesn't apply to publications that have been opened as "public forums for student expression." It also requires school officials to demonstrate some reasonable educational justification before they can censor anything. In addition, some states (currently Arkansas, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas and Massachusetts) have passed laws that give students much stronger free expression protection than Hazelwood. Other states are considering such laws.

Q: What is a "public forum for student expression?"
A: A student publication is a public forum for student expression when school officials have given student editors the authority to make their own content decisions. A school can do that either through an official policy or by allowing a publication to operate with editorial independence.

Q: So if policy or practice indicates the content of my publication is determined by students, the Hazelwood decision doesn't apply to me?
A: That's right. If a student publication is a public forum for student expression, then students are entitled to stronger First Amendment protection. School officials are only allowed to censor forum publications when they can show the publication will cause a "material and substantial disruption" of school activities.

Q: What about underground or independent student publications? Are they protected from censorship?
A: Absolutely. Although public schools can establish reasonable restrictions as to the time, place and manner of distribution of underground publications, they cannot absolutely forbid their distribution on school grounds. Like school-sponsored publications that are forums, a school must show substantial disruption before they can censor an independent publication.

Q: Can a student publication be sued for libel, invasion of privacy or copyright infringement?
A: Yes, and occasionally they are. In such cases the individual reporter and the editor could be held legally responsible. Court decisions indicate that a school which does not control the content of a student publication may be protected from liability. Students need to be aware that with press freedom does come legal responsibility.

Q: Can student reporters protect confidential news sources or information?
A: Some states have "shield laws" and others have court-created privileges that protect journalists from having to reveal this kind of information. However, most states have never explicitly applied these laws to student journalists. You should check your state law before making a promise of confidentiality because once you make such a promise, the law requires you to keep it.

Q: Can I use freedom of information laws?
A: Yes. Freedom of information, or "sunshine" laws, require government agencies such as public schools to open many of their official records and meetings to the public. These laws vary from state to state. Every newsroom should have a copy of their state's open records and open meetings laws.

Q: Can I use cartoon characters, song lyrics or another publication's photographs in my publication?
A: In most cases, only when you have obtained the permission of the copyright holder. Each of these works is protected by copyright law, which means others can use them only if they have obtained permission. Publishing a credit line does not take the place of permission. There is an exception to copyright law called "fair use" that can apply if you are only taking a small amount of a copyrighted work or if you are using the material along with a news story about it.

Q: Where can I go for more information about my rights and responsibilities as a student journalist?
A: The Student Press Law Center!

woah dude
dude woah
08-18-2007 03:32 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

How might I contact them?

I noticed it cost money to join, which I don't have much of...
08-18-2007 03:38 PM
returnal Away

coryboy6 Wrote:How might I contact them?

I noticed it cost money to join, which I don't have much of...
You don't need to join to contact them.

SPLC Contact info:
[Image: 6820vno.gif]

woah dude
dude woah
08-18-2007 03:42 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

"Q: What is a "public forum for student expression?"
A: A student publication is a public forum for student expression when school officials have given student editors the authority to make their own content decisions. A school can do that either through an official policy or by allowing a publication to operate with editorial independence."

Yes, but there is no way in hell the administartors will allow us students to make our own Zine.

And according ot my father, my school district has rights to check the content of the zine before it is distributed.

Distributing it annonymously would fix all of this, correct?
08-19-2007 01:37 PM
returnal Away

coryboy6 Wrote:"Q: What is a "public forum for student expression?"
A: A student publication is a public forum for student expression when school officials have given student editors the authority to make their own content decisions. A school can do that either through an official policy or by allowing a publication to operate with editorial independence."

Yes, but there is no way in hell the administartors will allow us students to make our own Zine.

And according ot my father, my school district has rights to check the content of the zine before it is distributed.

Schools have the right to check content of a school-sponsored paper (the official paper of the school etc.), but they have NO right to review the content of a underground paper ( a non school-sponsored paper, where the school isn't involved in the making), which is what your are certain to make.

woah dude
dude woah
08-19-2007 01:44 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

EVOL Wrote:

Schools have the right to check content of a school-sponsored paper (the official paper of the school etc.), but they have NO right to review the content of a underground paper ( a non school-sponsored paper, where the school isn't involved in the making), which is what your are certain to make.

But if it is being distributed on school grounds, don't they have rights to... Not allow me to distrubte it on their property?
08-19-2007 01:48 PM
returnal Away

coryboy6 Wrote:
EVOL Wrote:

But if it is being distributed on school grounds, don't they have rights to... Not allow me to distrubte it on their property?

They (the school) can set restrictions about the time, place etc., but cannot outright ban the distribution of your paper, as that would be unconstitutional.

woah dude
dude woah
08-19-2007 01:56 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

EVOL Wrote:
coryboy6 Wrote:
EVOL Wrote:

They (the school) can set restrictions about the time, place etc., but cannot outright ban the distribution of your paper, as that would be unconstitutional.
Yes, but schools ARE unconstitutional... And if they can set those kind of restrictions, can't they just set them to "Never."?
08-19-2007 03:10 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

the point is that by being unconstitutional you can contact the people evol mentioned
08-19-2007 03:12 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:the point is that by being unconstitutional you can contact the people evol mentioned
Yes, but what could they do about it? Put it up on their website? It's not like they could convince the admin to agree with me.
08-19-2007 03:23 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

it means what the school is doing is ILLEGAL. they can tell you what you and they can do about it, and they're informed about the case.
08-19-2007 03:27 PM
returnal Away

Also, if you decide to make a underground paper, read this guide:
http://www.splc.org/legalresearch.asp?id=40

woah dude
dude woah
08-19-2007 05:38 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Get the whole class to stare at the ceiling, every class. Say you have aperger's syndrome or mild autism and to repetitive movements(tapping on desk). Say your leg is twitching and tap your foot.
08-20-2007 11:11 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

great idea (especially since it was my own Biggrin )

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
08-21-2007 04:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fuck this shit, and fuck school and fuck everything. Depression101 21 3,767 05-08-2017 11:09 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Fuck my school and fuck the subject I'm best at.(venting) Depression101 12 2,502 04-30-2017 11:19 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  2 Weeks. Dirtbikemike 5 1,826 04-23-2012 12:09 PM
Last Post: noodlehead
  My school starts tomorrow Luizao876 7 3,024 01-30-2012 07:37 AM
Last Post: aCol
  School starts in three hours and I'm still awake / ACT prep rant Sharpie 27 7,888 01-05-2012 09:55 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  School starts once again tommorow Elfy 46 13,618 05-12-2011 10:35 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  It's school holidays,but I remember something from weeks ago Stealth 3 1,195 10-08-2009 01:40 PM
Last Post: monkey
  How many weeks of summer do you get? aaaaaaasd 13 1,963 09-03-2009 09:15 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  School Starts Tomorrow John Tuttle 35 5,757 09-01-2009 09:23 AM
Last Post: classclown
  It only a few more weeks bullshit... Reptorian 19 2,526 04-22-2009 03:55 AM
Last Post: BeyondHaibara1412