RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
procrastination is destroying me
fishpit Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
procrastination is destroying me

Lately, my procrastination has become a severe problem (notice time of posting). I always put off homework and studying until the last minute. As a result, I'm getting too little sleep and its probably no surprise that I got my first F. I know I should do things earlier but procrastination has become sort of an escape for me. I tend to go online and research whatever is occupying my mind or go on a wikipedia click fest.

I don't think time management is the biggest issue here but I feel as if I have developed an unhealthy habit of avoiding the unpleasant tasks as well as internet addiction, specifically addiction to all the information that is out there online. I also feel as if my internet over use is taking over time I used to allocate for art and other more productive activities. I've tried making schedules for myself to follow but I always fail or only follow a small part of the schedule.

I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed at myself. Depression, which had laid dormant in mefor a while, has returned. I know it's all my fault and I should just do school work first and stop using the internet so often but the bad habits have become so ingrained in me.

My parents think fixing my problem is just a matter of improving my time management and being less lazy but my issues go far beyond that. They say I don't care about my life and ask me if want to flip hamburgers. This really stabs me inside. Maybe I'm just sensitive but what my parents said to me was probably the worst insult I've ever experienced. I do care about life. I really do. I try to explain myself to my parents but they insist on saying I that I don't care about my life.

Maybe laziness plays some part but I feel that unhealthy escapism is taking over me. I sometimes daydream when I'm not front of a computer. At times, I day dream about an ideal, perfect me with high intelligence, athletic ability, and good social skills ie having friends. Childish, self-centered, and a waste of time-I know.

I should be taking action to make myself a better person and helping others more needy instead of daydreaming and pitying myself. Honestly, the person I hate the most is me.

I guess it's all in my head and obviously only I can fix my stupid self but I would really appreciate any advice on getting out of this mess of a state I'm in.
02-07-2011 03:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: procrastination is destroying me

I think I have the same problems. I procrastinate and take forever with certain things. Like right now I have this fucking accounting textbook I have to read, and I'm just now getting the gusto to read it. I also have to apply to certain jobs, but have been holding that off too. And even things I WANT to do I can't get motivated to do. The internet and video games have been the only thing I feel like doing but even that gets boring sometimes. And I'm left with the same crappy feeling of dread afterwards.

While I don't want to be really really busy, I admit I am sick of this lack of motivation I have that's keeping me from doing things. I think some of it could be depression or perhaps learning difficulties I have been diagnosed with, but what ever it is, it has slowed me down. The best solution I have is to not beat yourself up and just do what you want to do, but I know that's easier said than done.
02-07-2011 08:15 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

I think practically everyone here has this problem, I do homework the night before it is due at like 10PM
02-07-2011 08:34 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Are you me?

I have the exact same problems... From what I've read, everyone keeps saying "Just do it and eventually you'll get over it..." But that's the whole problem. I'm too lazy to "just do it".

At times I've found myself sitting on my couch at three in the morning saying to myself "Too late now, I have to sleep... I'll do my homework tomorrow and turn it in late". The next day will yield the same result. It's a giant pain in the ass, and it's fucking my grade up.

Makes me kind of depressed... I keep putting off getting a job, and learning programming and networking too. It's fucking my shit up.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-07-2011 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Lol people are still having issues with Procrastination, learn to be awesome like me, and develop a case of procrastination that causes you to procrastinate procrastination.

that or I have a weird sleep disorder that causes me to wake up at 4 am the day a big project is due and I wrap it up just in time to head off to school.
02-10-2011 02:40 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I dont even procrastinate anymore, I just don't do the work. I dont think I have done work at home for 7 months now. much less stressful. for big projects like essays I usually ditch my first block math class and write it in the library, I can write a 2 page essay in 15 minutes no sweat. granted they have spelling and grammar errors everywhere, but its not like I care about those anyway. depending on the teacher I usually get an A. Procrastination is not the problem, its about how efficiently you can finish something. Balance your skills with your time, and if you can't do it right, either adapt by learning how to do it faster or adapt by giving yourself more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
02-10-2011 02:47 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:I dont even procrastinate anymore, I just don't do the work. I dont think I have done work at home for 7 months now. much less stressful. for big projects like essays I usually ditch my first block math class and write it in the library, I can write a 2 page essay in 15 minutes no sweat. granted they have spelling and grammar errors everywhere, but its not like I care about those anyway. depending on the teacher I usually get an A. Procrastination is not the problem, its about how efficiently you can finish something. Balance your skills with your time, and if you can't do it right, either adapt by learning how to do it faster or adapt by giving yourself more time.

I agree to an extent. I've been doing this since 7th grade or so. I've only started doing my homework recently, and that's because my homework is usually classwork that I put off doing during class, and projects that I have to do... This year, for some reason, my teachers seem to want me to do a ton of work at home. It's a giant pain in the ass.

I'm the same way about essays though, they are fucking easy... I can write one pretty quckly. Or at least I used to be able to. My teacher this year is forcing us to think critically. (lol, should be a good thing, but I'm lazy as shit...) E.g. he grades our shit based on how origional and critically thought out we write, not how well we write. It's a pain in the dick, but at least he's actually teaching people how to express themselves.

Eh, bittersweet I guess.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-10-2011 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

Is it really procrastination if I don't care about the work? If so, then I've techinically procrastinated for over a year now.

What I'm trying to say is... If I walk up to someone and say "here, do this crossword tomorrow," would they be "lazy" if they don't?

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
02-10-2011 03:00 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:What I'm trying to say is... If I walk up to someone and say "here, do this crossword tomorrow," would they be "lazy" if they don't?
This verily.

You can't be considered lazy for not doing stuff you didn't want or choose to do in the first place.

And there's nothing wrong with daydreaming. I could daydream 24/7 (and I actually did do that for almost an entire week once when the power was off). For that matter, I daydreamed most days in school away. I turned out OK.

And to come back to the crossword puzzle... if you somehow convinced everyone that not doing the crossword would "ruin your future", and the person doesn't wanna do the crossword, then you say "don't you care about your life?!" ... when in fact the crossword will most likely have no effect on your future whatsoever... it's a bit silly.

You obviously do care about your life, if you didn't, then you'd just jump through the hoops and do whatever people expect of you without question. The fact that you don't want to do that means that you do care about your life.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-12-2011 04:00 AM
TehCheezGangsta Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I used to procrastinate, but not anymore. I used to just stay up all night and do the bare minimum of homework I needed to do to pass at 5 am, then I would sleep for an hour or so. I did this pretty much every night.

But I don't do that anymore...now I just don't do it. For the past 2 semesters, it was great. I got to do more stuff I actually cared about, and had more time for sleep. I was actually still passing, so people pretty much left me alone. But at the end of this past semester, I didn't do a few major projects, and failed a class. (Literature, ironically since all I do is read) My dad had to go to a meeting about it one day, and later, when I was at my friends house, my dad came to pick me up but told my friend and her parents about it.

My friends mom talked to me in private. She was concerned, and tried to convince me that school isn't stupid and pointless. She failed miserably. We also talked about a few other things. (Not doing assignments was the main reason this happened, but there were a few other minor things) After that I went home...and ironically didn't do homework. XD

I also got called down to guidance, and apparently they're going to make sure I do my work. Nice to know they only care about whether or not I do assignments. Smile

This weekend I'm at my mom's house, and she wanted to talk too. She said I have to go to school. I tried to explain just how pointless and stupid school is, but she said I should just fake it to get a diploma. -_- I told her that I suck at explaining what I'm thinking out loud, so she said I can write it and let her read it. It's going to mostly explain just how little education there is in school, and explain why I don't do homework and other stuff.

I just realized I'm procrastinating on that too. Wow. Sorry for rambling, but when I was typing, all of that somehow appeared. XD
02-13-2011 05:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I am 16 and the education system is destroying my health SoulRiser 8 5,874 10-29-2015 02:23 AM
Last Post: schoolsux
  Midterms & Procrastination Jacob 2 1,931 01-27-2014 08:30 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Procrastination Sunbourn 10 5,662 01-23-2013 09:40 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn