RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on my school in the UK
englishdude Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
My views on my school in the UK

Hey all,
I just thought I would express some of my views/opinions on my school and see what is similiar/different between my school in England and your schools elsewhere in the world.

The first issue I have is that there is a lot of paper work and admin stuff at my school. We have school planners to record our homework, merits and detentions and with school rules and stuff that our parents need to sign. The school has different types of timetables and systems on paper, which look great, but in effect don't work and are purely for show and additional funding.

The school is very disorganised and forms and letters are always going missing, aswell as exercise books and homeworks.

The school produces very cheesy newsletters which say how great everything is at the school, it conveniantly forgets the bad things.

As soon as it comes for the school to be inspected everything is pulled into shape and even more paperwork is produced for our parents to sign.

The school is also very hypocritical. We have a chart telling us what homework we should recieve on each day. However the teachers never stick to this, giving us loads of homework on different days, so we have unmanagable amounts. Nothing happens to them for this, but if we ever forget our homework we are in trouble.

The school also puts it's focus on the 'traditional' 'popular' sports like football(soccer), rugby and tennis, and it doesn't cater for sports outside the norm, despite having the facilities for this.

My school recently started advertising within its premises. Posters are in the eating areas advertising the latest book or film. Morally I think this is wrong, as it sends the message that the school endorses this.

The school also lies to us. It lies to us about teacher scandals, things we know are true, they know we know are true but they still deny; and they lie to us about education. They tell us one thing in Yr7 and then in Yr8 tell us they actually didn't tell us the hole truth, by the time your in yr11 you realises how many lies they tell you because your not ready to understand the hole truth.

Well this turned into more of a rant than a proper factual thing but oh well. Reading through I haven't really said anything new that hasn't been mentioned in other threads and I guess most schools are the same.

Here a few things about schools in England. (This is a generalisation, I'm sure some schools are exceptions)

The year groups go from Year 7 to Year 11, then Sixth Form.

Years 10 and 11 do qualifications called GCSE and Sixth form do A -Levels.

Pupils have the choice when they are 16 and have finished year 11 whether they want to go to sixth form, college, apprenticeships or whatever.

I'll add more later, my mum wants to use the computer.

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
09-05-2007 05:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Posting the exact same problems with school as someone else previously did on this forum actually produces an amazingly interesting and useful post. In most forums you would be encouraged to use the search function to find the answer to your question instead of posting without doing any research yourself, but that's just because having the exact same technical question answered again doesn't add anything to the forum. Posting the same rant that someone else already posted adds something to the forum because people like to read that other people feel the exact same way about school.
Quote:They tell us one thing in Yr7 and then in Yr8 tell us they actually didn't tell us the hole truth, by the time your in yr11 you realises how many lies they tell you because your not ready to understand the hole truth.
I absolutely hate how they do this. It's actually not too bad in history and the sciences because they just present earlier, flawed but easier models instead of the accepted models. While these models aren't so accurate, it is useful to know that they exist and were once accepted. (This is part of the reason why I hate the idea of having a "history" class: Everything is history, including the old, flawed scientific models, and history is useful. Because of time constraints, (I assume,) we avoid studying history in the other classes, but doesn't a chemistry or mathematics history class make much more sense and sound much more interesting than a "world" or "European" history class?)

And I have an amazing story about English grammar. There is no English Academy, so we have no official definition of an English language, but you'd assume that teachers in the same school district--well, at least in the same school--would teach the same English. They don't.

I studied English grammar on my own a lot during seventh grade, and all of the grammar that my seventh grade English teacher taught was correct standard English grammar. My eighth grade teacher taught wrong grammar and encouraged the use of various stylistic elements that sound horrible and look wrong.

Then I went to high school. When I tried using all of the grammar and style that my eighth grade teacher had taught me in my papers in ninth grade, my teacher told me told me that they were wrong or bad. (I thought so too, so I gladly stopped using them.) He also taught correct grammar. Then my tenth grade teacher sort of watered down the grammar lessons such that most of what she taught was right just because it was so basic and difficult to mess-up. She did incorrect my correct grammar on a paper at least one time, though, so I don't think she really understood the accepted grammar. I wonder what'll happen this year.
09-05-2007 05:55 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

What is "Sixth Form"... and why do they call it that if it comes after year 11?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-05-2007 06:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
englishdude Offline
Rebel

I think it's because its the sixth year at secondary school. It doesn't make much sense, considering what I term as a 'form' is the 30 or so classmates who share the same form tutor/form room. Sixth form is where you take your A Levels. At my school they are treated quite well, they get to wear non uniform, they have a Common Room with a mini football table/fridge/computers etc..

Thankyou Wsgosset. I had noticed several very similair posts to mine, but as you said it is nice to know that around the world people are facing the same problems as us.

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
09-06-2007 05:45 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

I'm a brit too (obv) and it's just like that at my school. Execpt there is more hype about learing the curriculum and memorizing. If they lose the book, it's our fault. Hooray for democracy!
10-30-2007 12:17 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I hate the UK.
They have a board of Censorship. They censor lots of things the US has in it's borders.
At least we still have free speech. What do you have? A freeloading Queen and a funny accent. Laugh

Oh, that wasn't meant to offend anyone except the British government and the Queen.

Also, I don't know what half of the jargon in your post means, but I'm sure that your school is as bad as any.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-30-2007 11:45 AM
Jamie99 Offline
Defiant

Re: My views on my school in the UK

Yeah well I wished I lived in England atleast you don't have compulsory welsh I mean come on its a dead language why bother?
Also believe it or not in the UK some of us think Americans have funny accents what with all the R's and all.
Suppose I can't talk about funny accents being welsh and all isn't it?
BTW not trying to offend Americans i just posted it for the LULZ! Biggrin
10-14-2008 04:05 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: My views on my school in the UK

Jamie99 Wrote:Yeah well I wished I lived in England atleast you don't have compulsory welsh I mean come on its a dead language why bother?
Also believe it or not in the UK some of us think Americans have funny accents what with all the R's and all.
Suppose I can't talk about funny accents being welsh and all isn't it?
BTW not trying to offend Americans i just posted it for the LULZ! Biggrin

so, when shall we steal you over here in a small rowing boat as part of a not well thought out plan?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
10-14-2008 04:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The rapist thinks I have ADD based on my views about school Sharpie 37 11,832 05-07-2012 10:28 PM
Last Post: aCol
  A teacher's views AWOL 1 1,285 05-17-2008 07:58 PM
Last Post: Eidolon