RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They tell us the rules - but not why we have to obey them?
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
They tell us the rules - but not why we have to obey them?

Myself personally, I have no trouble following the rules. That's because none of it effects me or anything. Like the "No MD3 Player Rule" is fine for me because I would never want to bring that to school and risk it being stolen/broken. Other rules I can understand that they explain why we can't do. I understand that school needs some rules, but some, are just stupid. And it's not just that. Sometimes they tell us not to do something, but don't tell us why

On the second day of school, we had an assembly. A welcome back to the Grade 11s. One of the things they talked about was the rules. Some rules seem really stupid, and they don't tell us why. Like, "Cellphones are not allowed in the school or on Property," I do have a cellphone, got one this summer, but I don't bring it to school. But why are they not allowed? They didn't tell us why. I assume however, it's because it would distract students in class (god forbid, LOL!) and because of the fact you can take pictures with them. I mean, you know how some people are. Some might take pictures or make rude videos about people. I've heard it's happened before. So maybe that's why. But why don't they tell us? Often they tell you the rules, but not why you have to do them. Some rules make common sense, others don't. But were not always told why we can't do something. If we have to follow the rules, shouldn't we know why we have to follow them? Instead of when we ask, getting the reply of, "That's just the rules. You have to follow it,"

Edit: There is another thread like this I think! But still it bothers me. I want to know why we can't!
09-08-2007 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

b/c if we want to get good grades or pass shool and get into college to get a high paying job you have to do what they say.

i know not everyone wants to do this but most peopel do.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-08-2007 08:11 AM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

hold on some years in schools, after is the college and it will hve more "freedom"
09-08-2007 10:36 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

We had one of those today, and they let us have cellphones, but they have to be out of sight, and you can use it in lockdowns at specified times to call parents. At our school, that will happen at least four times this year.

[Image: ninjawarrior.jpg]
09-08-2007 11:49 AM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Yes about the rule "distracting student" now i donnot think that no student is "concentratring" enough to be distracted, Rule is aother word for Force
09-08-2007 11:57 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

You have to obey the rules because they are the rules.
09-08-2007 11:58 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Specter Offline
Pariah

Kirby Wrote:You have to obey the rules because they are the rules.

Unfortunatly
09-08-2007 12:04 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Shadow_5415 Wrote:

Unfortunatly
I think he was poiting out the ridiculousness of taht concept just by typing it.....

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-09-2007 10:58 AM
Hayley44 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

when I ask my school why they have certain rules, they always say something like "because God has called us as Christians to be obedient servants."

it's so gay how they always use Christianity as an excuse to give people guilt trips. They make you sign sheets that say things like "I swear by God that I will never violate the dress code," then if they actually were to open their Bibles, they'd see that it actually says never to swear by God. (Mt 5.33-37)

then saying "because it's the rules" doesn't teach kids anything but to do whatever people tell you to do. it's because of people like that that the holocaust went on for so long.
09-09-2007 12:34 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Hayley44 Wrote:it's so gay how they always use Christianity as an excuse to give people guilt trips. They make you sign sheets that say things like "I swear by God that I will never violate the dress code," then if they actually were to open their Bibles, they'd see that it actually says never to swear by God. (Mt 5.33-37)

tell taht to princiapl the second you see her next.

09-09-2007 12:40 PM
wyldstryke Offline
Revolutionary

one teacher once told me thats they dont give you a reason for the rules because they think you wont be able to comprehend the meaning behind them.

Nature created neither servants nor masters. I want neither to rule, or be ruled.
09-09-2007 01:10 PM
Hayley44 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

darthmat Wrote:
Hayley44 Wrote:it's so gay how they always use Christianity as an excuse to give people guilt trips. They make you sign sheets that say things like "I swear by God that I will never violate the dress code," then if they actually were to open their Bibles, they'd see that it actually says never to swear by God. (Mt 5.33-37)

well I did tell that to my homeroom teacher, but she just gave me a condescending smile, and said "I know the rules may seem silly to you, but it's the covenant you agreed to when you joined our community."

wyldstryke Wrote:one teacher once told me thats they dont give you a reason for the rules because they think you wont be able to comprehend the meaning behind them.

ahaha I give my dogs more credit than that!
09-09-2007 01:16 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Hayley44 Wrote:
darthmat Wrote:

well I did tell that to my homeroom teacher, but she just gave me a condescending smile, and said "I know the rules may seem silly to you, but it's the covenant you agreed to when you joined our community."

Argue it further, tell them that tghey are suposed to be teachign you religion, not violating it.

wyldstryke Wrote:one teacher once told me thats they dont give you a reason for the rules because they think you wont be able to comprehend the meaning behind them.
Tell her she is a agiest bitch who si to arrogant to smell and taste the bull shti comign out of her mouth.

09-09-2007 08:56 PM
Towncommoner Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Cell phones are against the law in Florida to use in a school. "Use" is defined simply as checking the time. If a teacher sees it, they confiscate it. Better run if you're in the hallway somewhere, else you can wait for security if you're in a classroom or not able to leave.
09-10-2007 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

darthmat Wrote:
Shadow_5415 Wrote:

Unfortunatly
I think he was poiting out the ridiculousness of taht concept just by typing it.....
It's called a tautology. Well, I don't think that example is exactly a tautology but it is still bullshit.
09-10-2007 11:45 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

I got soemthign right. Biggrin

09-10-2007 12:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  freedom to obey Stadium 6 3,217 02-24-2012 03:11 PM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike