RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent people more likely to be unhappy
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Intelligent people more likely to be unhappy

http://static.scribd.com/docs/3u18v91mc ... AL_VIEW=90

you guys agree w/ it? i do.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-27-2007 12:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

awsome..has a w

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
09-27-2007 12:26 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

bump....

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-27-2007 12:38 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Eh, kind of cool.
09-27-2007 03:23 AM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

yea awesome piece. Where did u find it?
09-27-2007 09:32 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

nice i like it
09-27-2007 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Wolf on Mescaline Wrote:The most intelligent of people have the most persuasive of demons.

Whoa... what do you mean by that?
09-27-2007 12:58 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

PIMP. Wrote:
Wolf on Mescaline Wrote:The most intelligent of people have the most persuasive of demons.

Whoa... what do you mean by that?

Smart people have it very tough.
09-27-2007 01:16 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i think what hemmingway said is right. truly intelligent people are not usually the happiest. i don't know if it is because they are not accepted by others, but just because they have no one who understands them.

i get depressed pretty often, but i think i can think my way out of my problems, although i'm not sure. i might just be having one of my better moments right now.
09-27-2007 02:01 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

I have a theory.

If Intelligent people, lets call them inties, are susceptible to the cruelty and injustice in the world and this in turn has a negative impact on their psychological health would the opposite have the opposite effect? Lets say person X is an intie. Person X sees the world for what it is. They see all the evil in it unveiled, this in turn puts a strain on their emotional well being and person X becomes depressed. In this case person X has seen the negativity in the world and this has resulted in a negative state of mind, sadness. What if we reverse the scenario? Lets say person Y is an intie. Person Y sees the world for what it is. They see all the good in the world unveiled. They see all the love, caring, sharing, etc etc and this in turn has an impact on their emotional state of mind. This being the opposite of person X would then have a positive emotional impact on person Y's state of mind, happiness.

If we assume that person X and person Y are both of equal intelligence why must an intelligent person burden themselves with negativity and the evil of the world when they could just as easily focus on the positive and the good in the world? I have a semi answer to that question. Firstly society focuses on the negative. Any intelligent person would emphasize with the negative because we are exposed to more negative than we are positive. This is certainly true in the media. Also, as children and also teenagers we are told mainly what not to do rather than what to do. Don't do this because its "bad" or don't do this because its "dangerous." This could lead us to see the world for what it is, a bad place. But is it? Good, just, and right didn't just fall asleep. They must be still out there working their asses off. Sure, the media and society wont tell us about them or teach us about them but they must exist. Maybe if intelligent could see the good in the world they would be more happy. So yea...
09-28-2007 09:02 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Positive vs. Negative

PIMP. Wrote:I have a theory.

If Intelligent people, lets call them inties, are susceptible to the cruelty and injustice in the world and this in turn has a negative impact on their psychological health would the opposite have the opposite effect? Lets say person X is an intie. Person X sees the world for what it is. They see all the evil in it unveiled, this in turn puts a strain on their emotional well being and person X becomes depressed. In this case person X has seen the negativity in the world and this has resulted in a negative state of mind, sadness. What if we reverse the scenario? Lets say person Y is an intie. Person Y sees the world for what it is. They see all the good in the world unveiled. They see all the love, caring, sharing, etc etc and this in turn has an impact on their emotional state of mind. This being the opposite of person X would then have a positive emotional impact on person Y's state of mind, happiness.

If we assume that person X and person Y are both of equal intelligence why must an intelligent person burden themselves with negativity and the evil of the world when they could just as easily focus on the positive and the good in the world? I have a semi answer to that question. Firstly society focuses on the negative. Any intelligent person would emphasize with the negative because we are exposed to more negative than we are positive. This is certainly true in the media. Also, as children and also teenagers we are told mainly what not to do rather than what to do. Don't do this because its "bad" or don't do this because its "dangerous." This could lead us to see the world for what it is, a bad place. But is it? Good, just, and right didn't just fall asleep. They must be still out there working their asses off. Sure, the media and society wont tell us about them or teach us about them but they must exist. Maybe if intelligent could see the good in the world they would be more happy. So yea...

I don't know if I entirely agree with that theory. Mainly it assumes that there are as many positive things happening as negative things happening. I think that if they were the same quantity, even approximately, we'd be capable of clearly distinguishing between one and the other. I also don't think society focuses on the negative. I think society focuses on the things that makes society money. Sometimes this is something negative dramatized, more often it's something positive embelished. But either way, I think intelligence only matters in the direction it's applied. So it boils down to whether someone's intelligence determines what they want, or what someone wants determines their intelligence.
Anyone up for a rousing game of identify the cause and effect? Me neither.

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/why_become.html
http://www.seesharppress.com/anarchismwhatis.html
09-28-2007 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
void Offline
Rebel

...or intelligent people could just isolate themselves in a room coming out for the occasional shower or food .. or when money runs out for electricity and broadband.. to do some work on a construction site somewhere.. ... where was i ... oh ye. they could download Java 3D API and learn how to write a web browser friendly 3D engine.. day in .. day out .. night in (if they haven't run out of the magic liquid that is coffee) .. night out (drooling all over their keyboard if the have) and just be blissfully ignorant.. like sum people i may or may not know. ...now leave me alone... pretty close to cracking OpenGL smoke effects...

P.S.: Nice piece, thanks darthmat.. for sharing

pLay the game...
09-29-2007 01:31 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1979 thank(s) in 1209 post(s)

Good article (scribd now allows me to download the flash files, so I could actually read it... yay!)

I'm sure it's easier for an intelligent person to see the bad in the world rather than the good.... but what PIMP said is true too. There's a lot of good out there, it's just the sort of thing most people don't see. It's probably the only reason I'm not a seriously depressed person right now.

This might sound silly, but sometimes when I see evidence of people working together to accomplish stuff that helps others (even basic things like clearing large rocks out of the road, even though they're getting paid to do it)... it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I guess I'm lucky to be an optimist.

There are lots of good things in the world... it's just that the good people go very much under-appreciated (being good doesn't generally pay well). So next time you notice one... let them know or something.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-29-2007 02:12 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

PIMP. Wrote:yea awesome piece. Where did u find it?
funny story, i googled scribd b/c i typed in scribd.com and it wasnt wirking, so i figured i would click on an article itself to look at it. it was the second search result.

and yay, people liked it Biggrin

09-30-2007 10:32 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

yay for randomness!

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-30-2007 10:51 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:yay for randomness!
Randomness is your friend, my balls are itchy...RANDOMNESS STRIKES AGAIN!!! Laugh
09-30-2007 10:53 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Suicidal-kun Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:yay for randomness!
Randomness is your friend, my balls are itchy...RANDOMNESS STRIKES AGAIN!!! Laugh

Wtf
09-30-2007 10:59 AM
TheHatRebellion Offline
Defiant

This will really cook your noodle, but in the Bible, of all places:

Ecclesiastes 1:18

[English] For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

And because I can, in Latin:
[Latin] eo quod in multa sapientia multa sit indignatio et qui addit scientiam addat et laborem

-Hat

----
Mariner: No Place For Hate.
10-17-2007 05:04 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

the smarter you are, the more screwed over you realize you are, the more you gain a feeling of being alone. being unusually smart will usually make you unusually depressed.
10-17-2007 05:12 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

TheHatRebellion Wrote:This will really cook your noodle, but in the Bible, of all places:

Ecclesiastes 1:18

[English] For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

And because I can, in Latin:
[Latin] eo quod in multa sapientia multa sit indignatio et qui addit scientiam addat et laborem

-Hat

just because the bible has some untruths in it doesn't mean it's completely useless. if everyone lived by the general rules of the bible, we'd have a much better world.
10-17-2007 05:14 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Dunno 'bout teh new testimant to make a comemnt there but i have to assume some of the moral values and ideas in there have to be correct.

Like teh quote you just gave.

10-18-2007 07:42 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

It's true that smart people can see the bad in the world and that is why I am who I am.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-18-2007 07:49 AM
Schooler Offline
Rebel

Smart people can see how stupid and pointless school is. Therefore they won't feel happy going to school everyday. But those stupid immature kids are always happy in school because they are stupid.

I've spent 10 years in school. This is my last year Wink
10-18-2007 02:25 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

My mother calls being stupid happy positive and just because I tell her I would rather
See stuff for what it is she calls me negative.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-19-2007 12:15 AM
.xstrike-anywherex. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 21 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Ignorance is bliss, but the whole thing is much deeper than that.

I wouldn't exactly say intelligence makes you more prone to misery. I would rather say that those with a wider mind have their emotions affected by much deeper and more significant things, while people with lower levels of intelligence may be affected by more simple things.

I used to be very depressed, but not anymore. I think one initial flaw is that some of us only see with a black and white perspective of life. You can be helpful to others, a loving selfless person, and at the same time be a pleasure seaker and a hedonist. You don't have to choose one or the other, choose both.
10-23-2007 05:32 AM
.xstrike-anywherex. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 21 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

thoughtmaker Wrote:the smarter you are, the more screwed over you realize you are, the more you gain a feeling of being alone. being unusually smart will usually make you unusually depressed.

Which goes back to the one of our most central desires: understanding. Intelligent people find happiness in friendship with other intelligent people, and also are content when people see the beauty of their art and the value of their creativity.
10-23-2007 05:33 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

^^ yep, t'would be nice if for once, someone realized i'm not a complete idiot.
10-23-2007 02:03 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I wouldn't exactly say intelligence makes you more prone to misery. I would rather say that those with a wider mind have their emotions affected by much deeper and more significant things, while people with lower levels of intelligence may be affected by more simple things.

That's true.

I think part of the reason intelligent people are less happy is because there are so few of them, they see most people around them being simple-minded and never thinking about deep stuff, so they think stuff like "Is this what life is supposed to be about?"... it's not a very encouraging outlook on life. Also, because of that, they try to hide their intelligence because "nobody gets it"... and in doing so, if there were any other intelligent people around, they would mistake them for just another regular stoopid person.

Hidden stuff:
10-23-2007 10:24 PM
SleeperAwakes Offline
Renegade

Re: Intelligent people more likely to be unhappy

This all makes a lot of sense.

Though, another thing that intelligent people have is the ability to connect others with the things that are really happening in the world. Because the majority of people are ignorant or oblivious to what these things are, they are fearful of it, and are suspicious of the people. Humans, I believe, are naturally curious of the things they don't know; but this curiosity is often tembered into fear because of the social influences and personal experiences.
This might explain why many intelligent people are shunned. They represent a doorway, a causway into things as they are, the many dangerous, wonderful, and luminescent aspects of this world. To many, these things are dark and scary, simply because mud is easier to distinguish in a patch of garden grass than the smaller flowers just starting to peek from the winter wait.
No matter where you are, you only see what you expect or wish to see unless you conciously allow yourself to see it. Intelligent people are more likely to see these things because they know that there are many aspects of the things which are. They might not always see beyond face value, but they do not often underestimate these things as they come to watch and understand them.
Intelligents are mediaries. Some are known to be such, those who are motivated are revolutionaries, those who are not merely step back and are the ones not often surprised.

At least, from my point of view.

What I give form to in daylight is only one per cent of what I have seen in darkness.
M. C. Escher
-
The nearest to my heart are a king without a kingdom and a poor man who does not know how to beg.
Khalil Gibran

[Image: moonbannervroom.jpg]
04-09-2009 04:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Re: Intelligent people more likely to be unhappy

I think you're right. Normal people find intelligent people literally scary, because they challenge their beliefs. And people don't like having their beliefs challenged... they also like to 'feel' smart, and they often do that by cutting their thought processes short... I mean like, if they're thinking about something, and they come across an answer that seems smart, they'll often stick with it even if they could have gone further, because the answer they found 'feels nice'. Intelligent people don't stop themselves short though, they go all the way, even if they don't like the answers they come up with.

Hidden stuff:
04-09-2009 06:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thanks fucking God that government did something intelligent Luizao876 8 1,590 02-29-2012 01:02 PM
Last Post: iexist
  Intelligent YouTube quote about Ron Paul. Sapphire Flames 33 9,819 02-04-2012 11:21 AM
Last Post: The
  Intelligent design? Loxor 21 2,634 02-21-2010 10:36 AM
Last Post: Kirby