RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why eat meat?
whispers Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Why eat meat?

There are many signs to suggest that humans are natually herbavores.

1. Intestinal tracts. Carnivores have intestinal tracts that are 3-6 times their body length, herbavores, and humans, have intestinal tracts 10-12 times as long as their bodies. Carnivores have shorter intestinal tracts because they need to digest their meat more quickly, eliminating the absorbtion of too much fat.

2. Carnivores stomachs are 20 times more acidic than herbavores, including humans. This is because carnivores need to break down the meat properly.

3. Saliva of carnivores are acidic, while herbavors, including humans' saliva is alkaline. Alkaline helps to digest plant food, and acid breaks down meat.

4. Carnivores intestines are shaped smoothly, like a tube, so meat passes quickly through the body. Herbavores, including humans' intestines, are bumpy and baggy.This is because it slows down the food from passing through, and ensures maximum nutrient absobtion.

5. Carnivores do not require fiber to help food along the intestinal tract. Herbavores, including humans, do.

6. Carnivores can handle a high-cholesterol diet, while herbavores, including humans, cannot tolerate too much in their diet.

7. Carnivores have sharp claws and teeth, and amazing athletic abilities which allow it to take down meat without the aid of weapons. Herbavores, including humans, do not have such resources. Their teeth are flat, making the task of chewing plants easier.

Source:http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09...bivores-2/

In addition, humans are the only species that drink the milk of another species, or even drink milk at all past infancy.

The treatment of animals at factory farms is also appauling. Animals are crowded into buildings so tight, they cannot turn around without a major struggle. During the slaughter process, animals are frequently not stunned properly, and are sent through meat skinners fully consciouse. Pigs can take up to a minute to bleed to death when properly stuck, but only have a few seconds to get from the stabbing to a scalding tank to remove the hair from their skin. Many times, these pigs are fully conscious, and are boiled to death or drowend before they ever bleed out.

If that is not enough, fecal matter on meat is now considard a "cosmetic blemish".

There are also many, many accounts of animal abuse commited by workers at slaugherhouses.

Source: Slaughterhouse by Gail A. Eisnitz http://www.goveg.com/slaughterhouse_excerpts.asp

There was an incident at a slaughterhouse in the early twentieth century where a man fell into a lard making vat, and was turned into lard, and sold to unsuspecting customers. When these claims were made in "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclare, the government invested the incident, and it was confirmed.

There are also frequent incidents in modern slaughterhouses of sexual abuse, amputations, severe lacerations, and heart attacks.

Source: Fast Food Nation by Eric Schosser [url]http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-Eric-Schlosser/dp/0060838582/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3567247-5202207?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191301524&sr=1-1[/ur]

I have recently become vegan, and I respect that people will continue to eat meat, but please give me your reasons why you eat meat. I used to love meat, but once I found out about this, I stopped. I know it tastes good, but veggies and fruits also taste good. There are many alternitives to meat.

So besides that fact that it tastes good, please enlighted me as to why you eat meat.

.ANTI SCHOOL.PRO EDUCATION.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everybody would be a vegitarian".
10-02-2007 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I just like meat, simple as that. I'm well aware that the way we prepare meat is cruel and wrong but if I see a steak and a salad infront of me and I can only eat one of them, I'll eat the steak. I don't have any in-depth reasons why, I just do, I love animals, but I still eat meat. I doubt I'll ever stop eating meat, its just the way I am.
10-02-2007 03:15 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I first want to say how I envy you for your self-determination. It is not a simple task to become a vegan and I honor your commitment.

I eat meat because I was raised that way, and though it pains me to say it...I love it, and I cant imagine a world without corn beef served with mashed potatoe's in turkey gravey....No philosophy only Greed.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-02-2007 03:33 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Humans not supposed to eat meat? Imagine this: You get a stuck up some mountain for 17 days without any food, but plenty of water. After 17 starvation filled days you see a little pig wondering around your starving campsite. What are you gonna do PETA freak? Theres two options. Firstly you could try to befriend the pig in the hope that the relationship will turn romantic and lead to marriage OR you could tackle the pig smash its head against a rock and eat the meat of the bone raw. After 17 days which option do you think is more likely?
10-02-2007 05:19 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:There are also many, many accounts of animal abuse commited by workers at slaugherhouses.
Yes, but all are subject to regulations and get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Quote:There are also frequent incidents in modern slaughterhouses of sexual abuse, amputations, severe lacerations, and heart attacks.
Sexual abuse? As in raping animals? What the hell are you talkinag about here? Because most of these seem like something that would only happen to humans. Some can be in both categories, though.
Quote:Herbavores, including humans, do not have such resources. Their teeth are flat, making the task of chewing plants easier.
We have flat teeth, yes, but we have sharp teeth in front, to eat meat. Humans are omnivorious, we go both ways. If we were naturally only herbavores we would have been only eating plants all through our evolution.
OK, just so we're clear, I'm all for vegatarianism. (Not really for veganism, because it requires you to take lots of vitamins and shit. But yes eggs and milk have their own problems)
But some other points you can include in your initial argument is things like (since this generation is becoming real envirmental nazis (I'm not complaining of course) that raising cattle (since they fart so damn much) releases... carbon dioxide.... I think. Some greenhouse gas I'm sure. And then sheep also do, which is why (the netherlands?) some country has a huge hole in the ozone above it, ect.
And the raising of domesticated animals requires people to cut down forests, ect.

Quote:So besides that fact that it tastes good, please enlighted me as to why you eat meat.
Most meat I don't like. People tend to call me a borderline vegatarian becuase I don't like the taste. And I probably will become a vegatarian when the lving situation gets a little better. For most kids it would be hard to switch, because they're parents might not agree with their diet and won't go out of their way for it. (like my mom) So we get in a a situation where we have alomost nothing to eat at home.
And vegatarianism shouldn't be a rule. You should accept that it should only be a guideline. If you're hungry and thats the only logical choice you should choose it, simply because its your survival and it would be justified.
Quote:Humans not supposed to eat meat? Imagine this: You get a stuck up some mountain for 17 days without any food, but plenty of water. After 17 starvation filled days you see a little pig wondering around your starving campsite. What are you gonna do PETA freak? Theres two options. Firstly you could try to befriend the pig in the hope that the relationship will turn romantic and lead to marriage OR you could tackle the pig smash its head against a rock and eat the meat of the bone raw. After 17 days which option do you think is more likely?
And you can shut the fuck up Smile
He isn't going "YOU'RE A TERRIBLE FUCKING PERSON FOR EATING INNOCENT ANIMALS!" He's asking our opinion and informing us on his. You're attacking the fact the he IS a vegan and that he must be an asshole nazi about it. Which is obviously ridiculous of you would have paid some fucking attention to his post. And jsut because he choose to be a vegan doesn't mean he's adhering to some strict guideline. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know when it's appropriate to cross his previous choices when he must survive.
And, unlike you, he knows how to express his opinions and choices in a mature manner, and not just acting like a complete dick.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-02-2007 06:26 PM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

because im always hungry and i dont like having to take vitamins (except the purple ones Laugh ) and it tastes good

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
10-02-2007 10:01 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i don't know why i eat meat. i'm kind of disgusted with myself actually. maybe i'll become vegan too.
10-03-2007 03:33 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

dude have you ever heard of the term omnivore? duh
10-03-2007 05:37 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Why do I eat meat? The taste isn't why I eat meat. Neither do I have any justification for the needless killing of living things. I still eat meat because I am not perfect. I do not have the will power to stop. Mainly it's a matter of me being a pansy and not wanting to tell my dad.

Quote:There are many signs to suggest that humans are natually herbavores.
Humans are omnivores. If we weren't we would die if we only ate meat.

Quote:Yes, but all are subject to regulations and get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
(1) The existing laws aren't strong enough.
(2) The existing laws aren't even followed.
(3) You're still killing them.
10-03-2007 05:46 AM
Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I'm going to reply to this!
I believe animals to be resources, and I like meat, it's a good source of protein.
Besides, looking at it from my religion, God gave us dominion over the animals and therefore I have the right, strictly religiously speaking, to eat animals.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-03-2007 06:47 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Quote:it's a good source of protein.
(1) Most Westerners eat too much protein.
(2) Legumes provide just as much protein and are healthier.

Quote:Besides, looking at it from my religion, God gave us dominion over the animals and therefore I have the right, strictly religiously speaking, to eat animals.
According to the bible, God gave dominion over children to their parents. But killing your children because they are tasty is still murder.
10-03-2007 06:55 AM
Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

A: Can't argue that, but meat tastes better than any peanut I ever had. And I stand by my assertion animals are resources.
B: He also said not to kill other people, and as far as I checked kids are still people.

10-03-2007 06:59 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

For everyone with the arguemnt "it tastes good"
He said "Please say why you eat meat OTHER THEN THE TASTE"
Ok?
Quote:Mainly it's a matter of me being a pansy and not wanting to tell my dad.
lawlz, you're starting to use a word that I normally do =D
Quote:(1) The existing laws aren't strong enough.
(2) The existing laws aren't even followed.
(3) You're still killing them.
Yes? And? Would you prefer us to go into the forest and kill our food with our bare hands?
And laws are naturally broken, that's why we have the court system. As for them not being strong enough... well we have PETA to persuade them a little.
Quote:Besides, looking at it from my religion, God gave us dominion over the animals and therefore I have the right, strictly religiously speaking, to eat animals.
Ummm.... that's a retarded reason... in my opinion. That's one of the reasons I hate humans, they think they can bend nature to do their will so they can be lazy apethic dicks, and then completely fuck nature in the ass until it bleeds. Their condescending attitude towards everything not in their species pisses me off >.<
Quote:I believe animals to be resources, and I like meat, it's a good source of protein.
Besides, looking at it from my religion, God gave us dominion over the animals and therefore I have the right, strictly religiously speaking, to eat animals.
So is cum, you gonna get on your knees and suck some ponos?

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-03-2007 07:11 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

FoN']<blockquote><cite>Quote:</cite>Besides, looking at it from my religion, God gave us dominion over the animals and therefore I have the right, strictly religiously speaking, to eat animals.</blockquote>
Ummm.... that's a retarded reason... in my opinion. That's one of the reasons I hate humans, they think they can bend nature to do their will so they can be lazy apethic dicks, and then completely fuck nature in the ass until it bleeds. Their condescending attitude towards everything not in their species pisses me off &gt;.&lt;[/quote]
I never said we should use resources responsibly. We should probably treat animals a little batter than we treat other resources, I mean they are living things. Kind of like: If you kill it, eat it." There is no reason to kill animals senselessly or "fuck nature up"
<blockquote><cite>Quote:</cite>[quote Wrote:
I believe animals to be resources, and I like meat, it's a good source of protein.
So is cum, you gonna get on your knees and suck some ponos? ...
That was one of the most immature things I have ever read, but to fight fire with fire:
urmom Biggrin

10-03-2007 07:19 AM
whispers Offline
Rebel

Quote:Humans not supposed to eat meat? Imagine this: You get a stuck up some mountain for 17 days without any food, but plenty of water. After 17 starvation filled days you see a little pig wondering around your starving campsite. What are you gonna do PETA freak? Theres two options. Firstly you could try to befriend the pig in the hope that the relationship will turn romantic and lead to marriage OR you could tackle the pig smash its head against a rock and eat the meat of the bone raw. After 17 days which option do you think is more likely?

If there is a pig, there is also vegitation.

But it is a good argument.

For everyone who is stooping to vulgar levels:

I respect that you eat meat. My veganism is a personal choice, as is your descision to eat meat. I am trying to start a mature debate on the value of the consumption of meat.

And to the person who asked about sexual abuse, the women who work there are often grabbed, touched, or fondled by male employees.

.ANTI SCHOOL.PRO EDUCATION.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everybody would be a vegitarian".
10-03-2007 07:56 AM
stormcrow Offline
Defiant

I don't. I haven't for about four years now, not only because of the associated ethical issues, but I don't like the taste, which from reading these other posts seems to be an oddity Smile

Nature created neither servants nor masters. I want neither to rule, or be ruled.
10-03-2007 08:49 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I want to become a vegan, but since I'm not 18 I don't have have legal control over my life. So it's either eat what's on the table, or don't eat. My dad wouldn't understand, even if he did, he just wouldn't care.

These are good essays, I basically agree with everything said here about animals and eating them.

http://punkerslut.com/animalrightsessays.html

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-03-2007 09:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dog meat to be banned in China Puchiko 15 3,001 02-02-2010 11:22 AM
Last Post: Ceiling Cat
  lab meat and vegetarianism John Tuttle 27 4,828 09-02-2008 12:40 PM
Last Post: cryptevah72
  Meat politics Freak 3 1,700 04-18-2007 01:28 PM
Last Post: Dark Soul X