RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punishment vs. Incentive
everyday anarchy Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Punishment vs. Incentive

I've just been thinking about this topic and figured it'd make for a good discussion here...
Which do you think would be best for motivating individuals, punishment for not doing the task or incentive for completion?

I personally am in favor of incentive over punishment. I see that incentive motivates individuals much more to do the best they can, while punishment simply pushes individuals to do just good enough of a job to evade punishment.
10-03-2007 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Both have good points and bad, personally I really don't have a preference, I've been raised on the whole punishment thing and I admit that the threat of having my shit taken away, does make me do work, but the incentive for things would also make me work harder. I guess it just depends on people's personalities, some work well with punishment and others work well with incentive. Though, sometimes neither would work on me, and how far they work is on the person's desires, for example, the only reason, I continue to work under the punishment treatment is because I need the extra boost, without it, I'd probably get only F's because I would be too lazy to do the work, and though I hate school, I'd rather just get it over with, with ok grades, so I can get into an ok college, and get a degree in radiology.
10-03-2007 11:11 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: Punishment vs. Incentive

everyday anarchy Wrote:I've just been thinking about this topic and figured it'd make for a good discussion here...
Which do you think would be best for motivating individuals, punishment for not doing the task or incentive for completion?

I personally am in favor of incentive over punishment. I see that incentive motivates individuals much more to do the best they can, while punishment simply pushes individuals to do just good enough of a job to evade punishment.

Agreed. Well, incentive, thats pretty much economics, the study of incentive. Example being Gary Beckers study on rational addiction and such.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
10-03-2007 12:02 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

The punishment and reward system sucks. I mean look at school, it did completely shit for it.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-03-2007 01:36 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I believe you need to just let people do as they wish, the knowledge or product is it's own reward.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-03-2007 01:47 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Rewards and punishments are the same thing. They're also both incentives; they're called positive and negative incentives respectively.

But if by "incentives" you mean real incentives, like really losing your job or making the amount of money that your service deserves, then incentives are better. The major reward/punishment is the way your parents treat you; they act really annoying when you aren't doing what you're supposed to, and they shut up when you are. You don't really have the option of not doing whatever your parents are encouraging you to do, and the rewards and punishments that parents and teachers use are small and fake.

That came out very sloppily. Do you understand me?
10-03-2007 02:01 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i don't like either. i like to do things as their own reward. something done because of a punishment or reward is something that wouldn't be done otherwise and makes people depressed.

however, this system is exactly what our whole system is based on. no wonder people are so unhappy.
10-03-2007 03:31 PM
goodusername Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

incentive

Babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and dont forget the "violence"

" I think. I remember going to sleep that night and being disgusted at the feeling of my own heart beating. Let me see if I can find that site again."
10-03-2007 08:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Incentives are manipulative. People will always have reasons to do whatever it is they're doing, but many people do things because of incentives that other people have given them... like teachers punishing you for not doing your homework, or your dad bribing you to get an A. All of those incentives are worthless really, because you may get the end result (not being punished, or getting money for that A), but that's all you get. One day of freedom, or some money. If you were doing that same thing because you WANTED to, and found it interesting, and were actually learning from it, you wouldn't need bribes or threats of punishment. It would be its own reward.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-04-2007 04:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

SoulRiser Wrote:Incentives are manipulative. People will always have reasons to do whatever it is they're doing, but many people do things because of incentives that other people have given them... like teachers punishing you for not doing your homework, or your dad bribing you to get an A. All of those incentives are worthless really, because you may get the end result (not being punished, or getting money for that A), but that's all you get. One day of freedom, or some money. If you were doing that same thing because you WANTED to, and found it interesting, and were actually learning from it, you wouldn't need bribes or threats of punishment. It would be its own reward.

And I agree, but that doesnt mean you should blame incentive as a whole.

If you live in a truly free society you should be able to use incentives to get you to where you want to be. Say you're an aspiring muisican in New York City. Do you want to work a janitor job? Probably not, but if itll get you money to move foward and get a Gibson Les Paul to help you practice, that might help you do what you want and get to it. It comes off as wage slavery, but if the benefits outweigh the sacrifices it seems sensible.

Mind you im talking about a truly free society, not the corporatism wage slavery we have now which uses negative incentives (including the right to starve, the right to live on the streets, etc.) to make you a slave to them. I think hirearchies should be a voluntary thing people should be able to leave at any time to where they can do their own thing/start their own individual trade/business.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
10-04-2007 12:15 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:I believe you need to just let people do as they wish, the knowledge or product is it's own reward.
10-04-2007 12:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:And I agree, but that doesnt mean you should blame incentive as a whole.

If you live in a truly free society you should be able to use incentives to get you to where you want to be. Say you're an aspiring muisican in New York City. Do you want to work a janitor job? Probably not, but if itll get you money to move foward and get a Gibson Les Paul to help you practice, that might help you do what you want and get to it. It comes off as wage slavery, but if the benefits outweigh the sacrifices it seems sensible.

I was blaming other people's incentives... the example you used would be the person's own incentive, not someone trying to manipulate them.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-05-2007 07:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:And I agree, but that doesnt mean you should blame incentive as a whole.

I was blaming other people's incentives... the example you used would be the person's own incentive, not someone trying to manipulate them.

Oh, right. I was just clarifying that it isn't a bad thing, more of an open letter than specifically to you about how individual freedom should mean entirely voluntary trade and incentives, not brainwashing coporatism or parents trying to punish bad kids or give incentive. The best system, as economists will tell you, is an honor system where the respect is mutual and the only result of bad behavior might be dissapointment from parents, at least for relations with people under 12.

10-05-2007 08:41 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

williamparkar Wrote:School is underway and the kids are settling into their daily routines. By the second week of school, our second grader was getting notes in her daily agenda book.
Day 1 it was simply: “Talking”. So I reminded her that talking was disruptive and asked her not to do it again.

Day 2 it was: “Talkative.” So I said 2 notes in one week!! If you bring home another note, you will lose your outside time after school tomorrow. We had a long talk and she explained to me that she could not help it. The “other people” at her table were talking to her and she just had to respond.

Research Papers

Dude, are you bumping ancient threads just to advertise your site?
04-20-2010 09:02 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Why has the spambot reached 10 posts without being BANHAMMARD? The admins are lazy.
04-21-2010 01:45 AM
TheOmegaJuggalo Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I think I'm more for incentive on this one. Being in school, I see the system all the time. Though I don't like either one of them all that much.
When a teacher offers an incentive, let's say for getting an A on an assignment, I feel like they're trying to bribe me, and they're trying to do so because they know the assignment is stupid.
When a teacher offers punishment for not completing the same assignment, I feel like they're being assholes and trying to force us to do work that even they think is stupid.
So what I'm saying is that I dislike incentive less. And a reward is always nice anyway. Smile

[Image: ImmatureEntrepreneurBannersmaller.png]
Why Public Education Is Ineffective.
Check out my other articles here.
04-22-2010 10:46 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:When a teacher offers an incentive, let's say for getting an A on an assignment, I feel like they're trying to bribe me, and they're trying to do so because they know the assignment is stupid.
When a teacher offers punishment for not completing the same assignment, I feel like they're being assholes and trying to force us to do work that even they think is stupid.

Hit the nail on the head... you might like this:
http://life.familyeducation.com/punishm ... 29460.html

Hidden stuff:
04-25-2010 11:00 AM