RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School favor girls
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
School favor girls

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204 ... /education

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-05-2007 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Girls are superior in school? Lmao.

That link rocks we don't care about education because it don't matter. I cant spell misipi and I'm fine lmao.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-05-2007 11:36 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i don't mean to be sexist, but has anyone else noticed that the majority of girls just do what they're told? most of the girls i've ever met are always the type who constantly try really hard in school, want to get married and have kids and don't seem to have any interest in much other than doing what's expected of them.

maybe the article should've been titled, 'Girls, Do They Make Better Sheeple?'
10-05-2007 02:14 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

^You can go to hell. Smile

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-05-2007 03:16 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Freak-of-nature14 Wrote:^You can go to hell. Smile

i think it might be true though, but of course that doesn't mean if you're a girl, you're dumb. the only reason i think it's like this is because society shoves different roles onto boys and girls. if you're a boy, you've got to macho. if you're a girl, you've got to be obsessed with your looks and act like you haven't got to brain cells to rub together.

meh, now that i think about it, both sexes are stupid. i just find stupid girls much more irritating. if you look at the 'popular' girls at you're school, you'll see what i'm talking about. dumb as a brick and says things like, 'like, oh my god!' every two minutes.
10-05-2007 03:55 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Boys do that too.
And the gender roles are kinda diminishing, if they weren't you wouldn't have emo's being mainstream.

And yes, people, regardless of gender, are idiotic. The both say "OHMIGAWD!" every two minutes and neither care about school.
And we're talking about the stereotypical class^

Quote:but has anyone else noticed that the majority of girls just do what they're told? most of the girls i've ever met are always the type who constantly try really hard in school, want to get married and have kids and don't seem to have any interest in much other than doing what's expected of them.
Ok, "Majority of girls do what they're told" both boys and girls do what they're told because they're sheep. But they also complain and bitch about it also.
"Always trying hard in school" Ummm.... no. And this also has nothing to do with gender. In my Humanities class (its honors) its about 52/48. Thats boys and then girls. In that calss you have to be intelligent, not just do your work (te get in). My history and lit teacher both stuck me in there, they were both really hesitant because I have.... low motivation for work. So, its not even biased in that sense.

Quote:want to get married and have kids and don't seem to have any interest in much other than doing what's expected of them
Thats both boys and girls. Last year we had to sit in a circle and say what we expected us doing in 5,10, and 15 years. I put nothing because I had no fucking clue. And the majority of everyone else, including boys and girls, said 5- college, 10- graduated and getting married, 15- kids and career.
So this is also true for both sexes.

10-05-2007 05:01 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I kinda agree with freak on this. there are guys AND girls like this hell when I was 14 I was like this. Doing what I was told
Trying to please my family and thinking without college I couldn't do anything or be happy in this world.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-06-2007 01:24 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Firstly, the way the ciriculum is taught is designed for girls brains, because boys and girls brains work differently. Secondly, boys have shown an intrest in more practical subjects. The ammount of theory we have to do is crap. NO WONDER boys are not as "school-tuned" as girls.
10-06-2007 02:00 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

i guess you're right. the most irritating person in any highschool, i think, is the know-it-all girl, who studies every night and throws a shit fit if she gets anything lower than an A on her test. that's who i was thinking about when i said what i said.

i think though, that it is more socially acceptable for a boy to be bad at school, while a girl is looked down upon for having the same low marks. do you agree?
10-06-2007 04:30 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Ok, give example on how girls' and boys' brains work differently, and they're interests. And then I'll tell you what I think.

Clarification: give examples on what they like, ect. When you said "Boys like more practical stuff" tell me what that practical stuff is and then give me other example more like it.

10-06-2007 11:12 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

boys are taught to be more logical and unfeeling while girls are told that they should be more caring. being more caring usually leads people to think with their emotions rather than with facts.
10-06-2007 02:59 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

No. That is incorrect. You phail.
You see, we're talking about SCHOOL. You're talking about society in general. And though it may seem that school is the main area for indoctrination, which it is for some things, but not for gender roles. Which is what you're saying. You really are being sexist, "BOYS LIEK TIS AND GIRLS ACT LIKE TIS!" Which most don't even fit the requirements. And saying that boys are naturally unfeeling, and you're completely underminding you're own gender's emotional variety. They're just as emotional as girls, even if some don't show it as much. And saying that school teaches boys to be unfeeling is fucking ridiculas also, if you want to find some place that advocates gender roles you won't find it at schools, more likely in commercials, movies, and TV. And even those aren’t working so well. I usually don’t like celebreties but they have some advatages. Like emos and uber gothic rockstars. They’re pretty much blurring the gender line, like wearing makeup and women’s type of clothes. Shit like that.

Quote: i think though, that it is more socially acceptable for a boy to be bad at school, while a girl is looked down upon for having the same low marks. do you agree?
No, you phail again. Both girls and boys, when doing something they don’t like will do it anyways and bitch about it afterwards. “Boys will be boys” may be a common phrase. But they have equal punishments in the school enviroment.

Quote: Firstly, the way the ciriculum is taught is designed for girls brains, because boys and girls brains work differently. Secondly, boys have shown an intrest in more practical subjects. The ammount of theory we have to do is crap. NO WONDER boys are not as "school-tuned" as girls.
You also phail. Since we’re talking about stereotypes there’s that whole stereotype “Boys are better then girls in science and mathematics” So even INCLUDING them in the curriculum would be putting girls at a disadvantage. But ofcourse every since the La Femme Revolution girls have been given the chance to achieve success in those areas and now girls are pretty much equal in that area.
And the “practical” subjects you were talking about WERE math and science. The entire point of the educational system to make us “well rounded” (in the basic sense, which sucks) But it favors neither girls nor boys.
And you didn’t give much detail, so you could be talking about the way they learn, and not just what they’re “better” at. (<Bullshit) We learn in a variety of ways, different sensory ways. Like listening, visually, reading, musically, physically. All which don’t specifically pertain to either gender.

And I suppose I should touch on the
Quote:i guess you're right. the most irritating person in any highschool, i think, is the know-it-all girl, who studies every night and throws a shit fit if she gets anything lower than an A on her test. that's who i was thinking about when i said what i said.
Both genders are under social pressure to succeed in school. Again it doesn’t pertain to EITHER gender. Both can be “ZOMG! I GOTA AN A-! OH NOESZES!!!” And both can say “Fuck schoolz, manzorgz” Again, you’re being ignorant and sexist.

Now, I shall actually read the article:
-minute later-
Retarded. All they said was 1. Girls mature more quickly 2. Boys have lower test scores, and 3. Boys like [so and so novels] They gave very little details and they’re main point was that boys like reading different types of fucking books. This article sucked.
1. This is a stupid comment. I don’t even understand why the fuck its in there. This is also categorized as a social thing, and has really nothing to do with education.
2. Ok? Just because they scored lower doesn’t mean that the educational system it so blame. And standardized tests results should never show up in a study, because for the most part they give no indicator to how well people are developing intellectually.
3. This was they’re main point. ZOH MAH GAWD! ZE READ HISTORY AND FANTASY BOOKZESES!
Stupid, extremely. Whenever I see someone reading at school its usually an anime book or a fantasy book. Infact there’s this annoying book that’s all the rage called Vampirates. And yes, this goes for the girls AND boys at my school. I know absolutely nobody, other then me, that reads about history for enjoyment. And adventure stories also go for both noys and girls in my school.

Ok, I'm tired >.>
My point is that you guys are ignorant, biased, and sexist. They article only talked about how boys like to read different genres. They said nothing at all about schools prefering to teach in a way that girls would be "more in-tuned"

10-06-2007 07:39 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

i wasn't saying that either sex is naturally one way or the other, but that we're taught that it is more 'acceptable' to be one way (unfeeling for men and the opposite for girls)

and also i know i'm right when i say that society puts more pressure on girls to do better in school because that's just the way people think. little johnny may not be able to add two plus two, but he sure can throw a football. they may treat kids the same on paper, but it doesn't work out quite the same when we're talking about social pressure.

a boy won't take as much shit from his friends about failing a test as a girl would because it's 'okay' for a guy to be stupid. 'boys will be boys' is still very much used today, while girls are held to a higher standard; 'be lady-like'.

i'm not saying girls are naturally more stupid then boys (although it's possible that boys are smarter than girls and vice-versa)and i'm not saying it's fair, but the two genders are brainwashed differently.
10-06-2007 08:07 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Ok fine, so the difference between boys and girls brains experiment is neligible. It might be the fact the curriculum is designed to teach everyone. EXCEPT it failed
on day one. Meaning that most boys are left out. But still, as we can all agree, school is boring for everyone.
10-07-2007 01:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

The title of that article is funny... but this would have been funnier: Why Johnny Can't Read: Because his name isn't Jane Wtf

Quote:"Here's a fascinating fact," she said. "There is no literacy gap in home-schooled boys and girls."

"Why? In school, teachers emphasize reading literature and talking about character and feelings," she said. "This way of teaching reading does not turn boys on. Boys prefer reading nonfiction, such as history and adventure books. When they are taught at home, parents are more likely to let them follow their interests."

READING has absolutely nothing to do with analyzing every last detail about the book. That's just annoying no matter who you are.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-07-2007 02:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

We know they're wired differently but that doesn't mean school adheres to only one sexes advantages. In different subjects it leans towards one gender or another's certain advantages.
Quote:i wasn't saying that either sex is naturally one way or the other, but that we're taught that it is more 'acceptable' to be one way (unfeeling for men and the opposite for girls)
1. That’s a society thing, it doesn’t happen at school accept with very few dumbass teacher and the kids 2. We’re not even following those anymore. That’s why it’s become more acceptable to be gay (Considering the stereotype for homosexuals is pretty much the “FABULOOOUUUS!” Gay guy) and you have emos walking around, I said all this before, and then celebrities that blend the gender lines. 3. Most of our society is hypocritical, you can’t analyze it as a whole because you can’t. You have part of the influence saying ZOMG! BE A MAN! And the other going ‘Tis alright to act the way you feel.

Quote:and also i know i'm right when i say that society puts more pressure on girls to do better in school because that's just the way people think. little johnny may not be able to add two plus two, but he sure can throw a football. they may treat kids the same on paper, but it doesn't work out quite the same when we're talking about social pressure.
Well you don’t know shit. Both genders have equal amount of pressure on them to “succeed” in school and be the typical model is “excellence” (A’s, going to college, members of Ex-circulars, etc.) And now ECA now include girls bein’ in the “girl” sports, so sports do play a role.

Quote:a boy won't take as much shit from his friends about failing a test as a girl would because it's 'okay' for a guy to be stupid. 'boys will be boys' is still very much used today, while girls are held to a higher standard; 'be lady-like'.
About the test thing… no. Kids don’t care what their friends’ grades are. Parents and teachers do, but that goes for BOTH genders. And of course its ok for guys to be stupid, its also ok for girls to be stupid. It doesn’t matter if they have any knowledge of how people suffer or if they can give their opinions on which dictator they would like to rule their country next, as long as BOTH GENDERS get an A on their spelling test.
Boys will be boys and “Being Ladylike” refers specifically to one genders MANNERS and how mature they act, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the intelligence level a culture expects of one gender compared to another.
Quote:i'm not saying girls are naturally more stupid then boys (although it's possible that boys are smarter than girls and vice-versa)and i'm not saying it's fair, but the two genders are brainwashed differently.
Well they’re not brainwashed that differently. Maybe a little in the way they act…. But its certainly not how much one is expected to learn. They’re both expected to be as intelligent as possible. Being a dumbass is looked down upon.

Quote:Ok fine, so the difference between boys and girls brains experiment is neligible. It might be the fact the curriculum is designed to teach everyone. EXCEPT it failed
on day one. Meaning that most boys are left out. But still, as we can all agree, school is boring for everyone.
Actually, I rather enjoy school. It may be oppressive but the teachers are nice and the textbooks are <3.
I doubt it failed, they say that more girls pass the test then boys, but we also have more girls then boys. So their’s lots of possibilities, and the school be at fault because they choose one book over another is not a fucking possibility.

10-07-2007 07:53 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Just as an example: In my school, girls tend to behave alot better.

But this probbably has to do w/ the fact that almost the whole honors classes are made up of girls, and the idiot boys in my grade (most of them) are physically addicted to peer pressure.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-07-2007 09:33 PM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I don't really know which sex is better at my school, and I don't really care enough to find out.
10-08-2007 03:36 AM
Doomsayer Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

my school is sexist against males, they cater to females though.

"you are the only one with the ability to turn this tide
with the capacity to learn the truth and burn the lies
that signalize our disgust so come with me,
I'll be your doomsayer and show you everything
that you'll never see"-Darkest Hour Doomsayer lyrics
10-08-2007 03:46 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

thoughtmaker Wrote:i don't mean to be sexist, but has anyone else noticed that the majority of girls just do what they're told? most of the girls i've ever met are always the type who constantly try really hard in school, want to get married and have kids and don't seem to have any interest in much other than doing what's expected of them.

maybe the article should've been titled, 'Girls, Do They Make Better Sheeple?'

Laugh laughed my ass off

True though
10-08-2007 04:30 AM
sandflow Offline
Rebel

thoughtmaker Wrote:

i think it might be true though, but of course that doesn't mean if you're a girl, you're dumb. the only reason i think it's like this is because society shoves different roles onto boys and girls. if you're a boy, you've got to macho. if you're a girl, you've got to be obsessed with your looks and act like you haven't got to brain cells to rub together.

meh, now that i think about it, both sexes are stupid. i just find stupid girls much more irritating. if you look at the 'popular' girls at you're school, you'll see what i'm talking about. dumb as a brick and says things like, 'like, oh my god!' every two minutes.

well,i'm a girl and i'm not obsessed with my looks,my classmates are,even boys Biggrin i just love sport,anime,drawing but not those stupid chemical things that you put them on your face
10-08-2007 06:31 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

The girls locker room in my school is twice as big as the boys locker room. Laugh

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-08-2007 07:43 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Doomsayer Wrote:my school is sexist against males, they cater to females though.

How so?
10-08-2007 07:51 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

sandflow Wrote:
thoughtmaker Wrote:

well,i'm a girl and i'm not obsessed with my looks,my classmates are,even boys Biggrin i just love sport,anime,drawing but not those stupid chemical things that you put them on your face

like i said though, just because you're a girl, doesn't mean you act the same as the majority. to think that was the case would be ignorant.

however, i do believe that we do put VERY different pressures on boys and girls.

i'll give some examples.

boys are thought to be cool to bang every chick they can.

girls are thought to be 'slutty' for the same behavior.

girls can say 'i love you' to their friends.

if a boy said that, the entire school would immediately suspect him of being gay.

in general, while boys AND girls are told to be more polite and mind their manners, a boy won't looked down upon as much as girl who fails to do so. if a girl let out a huge fart, would most people find it disgusting or funny like when a boy does it? that may be a bad example, but that's the point i'm trying to make. the girl would be looked down upon more so than the boy.

also, if you think that everyone or even the majority of people are able to look past their predjudices, i think that's being more than a little optimistic.
10-08-2007 03:50 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

No. You phail. hard.

I'm tired of discussing this because you say the exact same things over and over and I've given my opinion on them atleast twice.

10-08-2007 06:00 PM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

well going to an all girls school, i have nothing to compare to... meh.
10-08-2007 08:01 PM
haza Offline
Renegade

i agree with both of the two main talkers in this subject. girls in my school are definately more well behaved in our school than the boys. evan though there are the teachers pets bitches). And their alot more behaved partly in our class. I think is probable due to the fact that our old teacher was extremely sexist.

so I stole your good luck stick charm ey? Why dont you just sue me??????
10-08-2007 08:03 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Details, motherfuckers. Define sexism, against males or females?

And I have no fucking clue what the hell you guys are talking about when you say that girls behave better, in my school it's not gender based, its clique based. And even then it's very loose.

And you can't agree with the main talkers in this thread because they're views are contradictory.

10-08-2007 09:00 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:however, i do believe that we do put VERY different pressures on boys and girls.

i'll give some examples.

boys are thought to be cool to bang every chick they can.

girls are thought to be 'slutty' for the same behavior.

girls can say 'i love you' to their friends.

if a boy said that, the entire school would immediately suspect him of being gay.

That's true. It's not just in school though, it's everywhere.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-09-2007 01:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

I still don't see any gender role pressure in school.
Really I don't.
Only in retarded commercials and shit.
See? I say we ban ads and tv =D

10-09-2007 09:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I need a favor from all of you in school! UnschoolShqiponjë 16 3,464 09-29-2013 08:18 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  biased in favor of public schooling, high school diploma Potato 2 3,009 05-08-2013 06:16 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  another rant about my school and girls OasisxPoisonxProdigy 9 7,276 03-13-2012 03:52 PM
Last Post: M3116