RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will become of religion
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
What will become of religion

I am simply appaled at the religions at the world these days, they are becomeing extremely similar to the cigarete companies in their mad attempt to gain support. Look at this article I found http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/07/relig ... ngregants/

I see judaisim slowly evaporating, more and more jew's seem to consider themselves the pinicle of intelligence (and if you dont know our religion well, its very vain...so very vain) and lose their faith as all people of cold intellect do.

I see christianity continue to fight pointless war's and condemn innocents left and right, even slow down the progression of all mankind with its twisted morals.

I see the islamic people being torn into two sects of radical and rational, a religion based on love slowly turning into a dangerous group of extremists.

I see budasim being irradicated in most asian countries by this two thousand year old wave of christianity...it is so much more economical to be christian after all.

I know I am being pesimistic...and I know that there is alot of good being done by all four of these religions....but does the good really cancel out the bad? This is not the past repeating itself, these modern religions seem differnet in a way I cant seem to discribe....

so I ask of you, what do you think shall happen next?

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-08-2007 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Hopefully it'll die out and the world will be a much better place.

Well, that is after we take down governments, at least.
10-08-2007 01:11 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i think we'd be better off without every religion except for buddhism and others like it. it doesn't push its beliefs on anyone and encourages people to think for themselves. well, at least for practicing buddhists anyways, other followers are just that, followers.
10-08-2007 03:30 PM
Schooler Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

They'll keep fighting each other until only one religion stands.

To thoughtmaker, for your information the buddhists are fighting in southern Thailand with the muslims. They've killed many muslims (the minority) there.

I've spent 10 years in school. This is my last year Wink
10-09-2007 01:37 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

ATXTheKiller Wrote:Hopefully it'll die out and the world will be a much better place.

Well, that is after we take down governments, at least.
Yes
10-09-2007 08:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Schooler Wrote:They'll keep fighting each other until only one religion stands.

To thoughtmaker, for your information the buddhists are fighting in southern Thailand with the muslims. They've killed many muslims (the minority) there.

news to me. those people can't be called buddhists the same way as christians who war against others cannot be called christians. i think that true buddhism is one of the most open-minded religions.
10-09-2007 01:44 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Humans are naturally mysticist sons of bitches, so there always gonna be some faith. I don't care where these religions are headed, but I sincerely do hope that the middle east (including Israel - not referring to their quality of life but the barbaric traits, ie of using religion as a ground to be granted land) either becomes civilized or gets wiped off the map.

To call buddhism open minded is such crap too. If you like philosophical traits of Eastern religion like most of us do, that's fantastic, but to try and organize any belief will surely result in mysticism and destructive habits (see: The feudalist system of Tibet.) Buddhism as a PHILOSOPHY is fine because its relative to interpretation and that gives it a far better name than Christianity but much harm has been done by people who claim to be peaceful buddhists. It's just the religious complex.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
10-10-2007 10:30 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Re: What will become of religion

Vatman Wrote:I see judaisim slowly evaporating, more and more jew's seem to consider themselves the pinicle of intelligence (and if you dont know our religion well, its very vain...so very vain) and lose their faith as all people of cold intellect do.
i know exactly what you eman, and i know people who are like that. however, there are still those who aren't that way.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-10-2007 10:34 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Religions have foughten througout all time, there will always be a certain amount of people that will blindly follow religions and there will always be people that will abuse that fact. Who knows what will happen, maybe religions will die out, or maybe all the religious wars will not be as extreme, or maybe religions will destroy the world, who truly knows?
10-10-2007 12:12 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Quote:I see christianity continue to fight pointless war's and condemn innocents left and right, even slow down the progression of all mankind with its twisted morals.

Those people may call themselves Christians, but I don't believe they are God's people. A fully devout follower of the one and only God only wages war when his right to worship as a Christian is infringed, or he is protecting innocents. A child of God never goes around making death. It isn't right.

And there are many seemingly innocent people out there (none are fully innocent, for we can know good and evil, and we are all tarnished by being descendants of Adam) that I believe will be condemned to Hell in the afterlife, but that doesn't mean we should just condemn them in this life, kill them, shun them. A true follower of God respects and embraces people of all faiths, but doesn't necessarily respect the actual faith they believe in (although they respect their right to worship it). Also it is not any man's place, Christian or otherwise, to enforce religious morality.

Those people may be Christian, but they are not really Christian. That's my take on it.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-10-2007 12:18 PM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Theres more Atheists as time goes on. I don't see religion being gone anytime soon, or at all for that matter. But I do see it going to drastically.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-10-2007 01:22 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Actually there are less Atheists, I read it somewhere. There's being more and more Muslims and stuff.

10-11-2007 11:11 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Weswammy Wrote:Actually there are less Atheists, I read it somewhere. There's being more and more Muslims and stuff.

Depends where. I read that there was more Atheists in the US, sorry that I didn't specify. I believe the same goes for most of Europe as well. But the rest of the world, religion flourishes.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-11-2007 11:39 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Actually the United States is very religious, particularly Christian, than most of Europe.

This is straight from the Wikipedia page on the US of A:
"The United States government does not audit Americans' religious beliefs. In a private survey conducted in 2001, 76.7 percent of American adults identified themselves as Christian, down from 86.4 percent in 1990. Protestant denominations accounted for 52 percent, while Roman Catholics, at 24.5 percent, were the largest individual denomination. A different study describes white evangelicals, 26.3 percent of the population, as the country's largest religious cohort; evangelicals of all races are estimated at 30–35 percent. The total reporting non-Christian religions in 2001 was 3.7 percent, up from 3.3 percent in 1990. The leading non-Christian faiths were Judaism (1.4 percent), Islam (0.5 percent), Buddhism (0.5 percent), Hinduism (0.4 percent), and Unitarian Universalism (0.3 percent). Between 1990 and 2001, the number of Muslims and Buddhists more than doubled. From 8.2 percent in 1990, 14.2 percent in 2001 described themselves as agnostic, atheist, or simply having no religion, still significantly less than in other postindustrial countries such as Britain (44 percent) and Sweden (69 percent)."

10-11-2007 11:47 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I don't think there is anything wrong with religion but these radicals and extremists need to shut up.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-11-2007 11:55 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

I don't trust most surveys, especially "private" ones. It's impossible to get the right statistics unless you survey every single person. Let's say they did a survey seeing how many people support gay marriage. They take a bunch of people from Georgia, and conduct the test. They take a bunch of people who happen to live in a gay community. The results will be negative on one end, and positive on the other. This does not represent what a nation of people think.

Anyways, just because someone claims they are, lets say, Christian, or identifies with it, doesn't mean they are. It just means they were raised as it. My dad claims he's a Catholic. He's an alcoholic, he smokes, he has a vile mouth, he never goes to church, etc, etc, etc.....

Theres a lot of thing to be taken into consideration when conducting a survey....

10-11-2007 11:59 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Even the U.S. Census doesn't survey everybody. Just one person out of every few hundred. I'm also more inclined to believe private stats, because the public sector is usually inefficient.

10-11-2007 12:05 PM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Evasion Wrote:I don't trust most surveys, especially "private" ones. It's impossible to get the right statistics unless you survey every single person. Let's say they did a survey seeing how many people support gay marriage. They take a bunch of people from Georgia, and conduct the test. They take a bunch of people who happen to live in a gay community. The results will be negative on one end, and positive on the other. This does not represent what a nation of people think.

Anyways, just because someone claims they are, lets say, Christian, or identifies with it, doesn't mean they are. It just means they were raised as it. My dad claims he's a Catholic. He's an alcoholic, he smokes, he has a vile mouth, he never goes to church, etc, etc, etc.....

Theres a lot of thing to be taken into consideration when conducting a survey....
That sounds like my dad and he considers himself catholic too. Hell, I consider myself catholic, but I hardly know anything about the religion and I'm anything but religious. I agree with what you said about surveys, unless every single person is asked and answer honestly, you won't get a true answer.
10-11-2007 12:06 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

But you can get something close.

10-11-2007 12:07 PM
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Weswammy, if it weren't for your religion I think I would agree with you on everything. Have you ever been to http://www.2007rapture.com/word/
?
I think that there is no wordly state where nuclear weapons and religion can coexist, eventually the religions will destroy us, regardless of which one sets off the first nuke.

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/why_become.html
http://www.seesharppress.com/anarchismwhatis.html
10-20-2007 05:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Dude, religions don't do anything, people do.

Whether they serve a false idol, the real God, or whether Science is their almighty God. I wouldn't shoot off a nuke, I be squeamish at such a prospect.

I can't come to terms with having to kill one person, much less potentially millions. Guess what helped me come to the conclusion of passivity? My religion.

Not that I wouldn't fight in a war, but it would have to be a damned good reason for me to.

EDIT: Oh sorry, almost forgot: I haven't been to that website, I prefer to get my theology from the source in my Bible or at church.

10-20-2007 01:32 PM
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Ah. I only mentioned it because it's my personal faith experiment. If at the end of the year, the rapture hasn't happened, I'm officially converting from agnostic to atheist! Evil
See, you say your religion prompts your passivity, but you also mention you would be willing to fight in a war depending on the severity of the reason. Just for the sake of speculative diplomatic discourse... what reasons?
I don't think there would be any way I'd ever fight in a war, even if I was forced to. Though I'll admit when you're talking about personal decisions with something like this, it's hard to say anything for sure.

10-21-2007 03:45 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

The Holy War spoken of in the book of Revelations in the Bible and I might fight in a militia to protect my local area if we weren't the aggressors.

10-21-2007 05:40 AM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

i hope most religion goes away soon(I am an atheist).
i don't see why buddhism is considered a religion? because to me a religion is a religion only
if it has a belief in a god(s)

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
10-24-2007 11:26 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

You know what I think. I think to many people Science is Almighty. I think the worshiping of Science is moving to replace other religions.

10-24-2007 12:02 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

well i do not worship science i worship nothing
and yes their are some people who worship science
but the people who worship science are idiots
because science is not religion nor is it a god

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
10-24-2007 12:40 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Would you call a religious person an idiot?

10-24-2007 12:45 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

well let me rephrase my statement
most people who worship science are idiots
as for your question
some religious people are idiots some aren't

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
10-24-2007 12:56 PM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Avenger Wrote:some religious people are idiots some aren't
That just doesn't go for religious people, all people are like that. The world is full of idiots and non-idiots.
10-24-2007 01:06 PM
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Religion is idiocy, but religious people aren't idiots anymore than a beautiful person can't have an abysmal fashion sense.

Edit: The analogous solution... Nudism!

10-24-2007 01:07 PM