RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoole prepares me for a job, apparently
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Schoole prepares me for a job, apparently

Because I can't even choose a programming career until College.

And yes, my homework in Math, Science, Bible, History, English, then the History and English Project will DEFINITELY HELP ME.

One thing; Job Hours = 8 am - 5 am
School 8 am - 3 pm + 4 hours of homework

Not to mention a job PAYS YOU, you pay for school

My mother also said if I don't look on the bright side of things then she'll take me to the doctor. Wow.
Before she does that, I will demand where the 'bright side' of school is.

Fu Fu Fu Fu

War is stupid.
02-15-2011 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: Schoole prepares me for a job, apparently

Not trying to promote school or anything but math helps a bit (even though we both hate it). Most of the maths stuff; yeah, it has shit all to do with programming but I am sure some of it will come in useful. I am trying to learn programming atm so shoot me a pm if you want and we can help each other learn it or something.

Other then that, I have the same views as you and my parents love school as well for reasons they can't seem to properly explain.
02-15-2011 03:53 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Unless your getting into advanced gaming programming and shit like that, the math required for programming is basic shit that you could learn on your own pretty quickly.

Just saying.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-15-2011 04:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Unless your getting into advanced gaming programming and shit like that, the math required for programming is basic shit that you could learn on your own pretty quickly.

Just saying.

It's not all basic. But then again that depends on what programming you do. If you want to do programming for a physics engine then maths is needed as well as knowing how physics and that work.

I do/want to do games programming so I don't really need to learn all that much math and could definatley learn it on my own but I guess it differs person to person.
02-15-2011 04:28 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I suppose. I've never really needed that much math though. Course, I barely know how to program, so who am I to speak?

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-15-2011 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

It doesn't matter; you should learn what you think you need, when you feel like doing it.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-16-2011 12:50 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Gotta agree with absent.

I mostly cheated my way through higher up math when I was in high school as I didn't have the give a damn and I remember my teacher giving long as sermons on how we needed this shit but all of it is garbage.

Unless your getting into programming, being an accountant or some shit and even then we have so many programs that do the math for us and bosses could care less as long as you get it done.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-16-2011 02:30 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:Gotta agree with absent.

I mostly cheated my way through higher up math when I was in high school as I didn't have the give a damn and I remember my teacher giving long as sermons on how we needed this shit but all of it is garbage.

Unless your getting into programming, being an accountant or some shit and even then we have so many programs that do the math for us and bosses could care less as long as you get it done.

Exactly. They want it done, and they don't care how you get there. My math teacher wants to be done ONE SPECIFIC WAY.

And by math, I mean the homework. Why DO I need to waste an hour doing homework when I learn the lesson in 5 minutes?

And only the necessary math too. I'm not trying to create Wolfram Alpha or something.

War is stupid.
02-17-2011 11:31 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

flann Wrote:

Exactly. They want it done, and they don't care how you get there. My math teacher wants to be done ONE SPECIFIC WAY.

And by math, I mean the homework. Why DO I need to waste an hour doing homework when I learn the lesson in 5 minutes?

And only the necessary math too. I'm not trying to create Wolfram Alpha or something.

It's to teach you to not question your superiors when you're working in a cubicle....XD

I don't know much about programming, but whatever job you want, learn what you know is needed to do it.
02-17-2011 11:39 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Bible homework?

FUCK THAT SHIT

[Image: glorious666.png]
02-17-2011 12:09 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

flann Wrote:

Sorry to hear that about your math teacher. I hate teachers that are like that and fortuantley I don't have any (that I know of yet) in my year. I agree with you about homework as well. If I want to learn more about the stupid class when I get back to school then I will learn it. If I don't I don't want to be forced to do something in my spare time that the lazy teacher couldn't do in class time.
02-17-2011 03:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Apparently language is natrual like breathing. MurkScribe 2 2,343 08-16-2015 08:15 AM
Last Post: True Strasserist
  25% gets you a D, apparently Sunbourn 3 3,685 11-06-2013 10:33 PM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921
  Apparently, I'm an Idiot PlagueMeister 30 11,368 10-01-2012 08:17 AM
Last Post: guts12
  Apparently nothing matters except grades. Dirtbikemike 5 3,539 04-23-2012 07:00 AM
Last Post: aCol
  I don't say the pledge, so apparently I hate freedom Sapphire Flames 29 12,233 03-16-2012 11:57 AM
Last Post: Faroven
  Apparently I suck at driving యూజర్ పేరు 23 7,023 07-06-2010 05:38 AM
Last Post: యూజర్ పేరు