RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working more than 5 hours each evening on homeworks
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Working more than 5 hours each evening on homeworks

Is that supposed to be normal or not?Because it is what i am being doing for like 2 weeks,working from 5 PM to 10 PM on fucking homeworks Noo,and i think it would be in human nature to be really bored after 2-3 hours
10-17-2007 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Lot of homework. That sucks. Just don't do it. Not like they can do anything.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-17-2007 11:22 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Well then my teachers call my parents and then my parents will ground me so no computer/video games/friends for weeks Cuckoo

And i can also get gay detentions after school
10-17-2007 11:23 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

man you parents are crazy. I mean come on: NO FRIENDS?!

Hidden stuff:
10-17-2007 11:24 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

christillusion Wrote:man you parents are crazy. I mean come on: NO FRIENDS?!

I don't invite friends at my home anyway,all my parents do is critiquizing them when they leave and make me speechs for hours about that no one on earth is honest whatsoever

That's not the point of the frigging topic anyway
10-17-2007 11:25 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I think most people would say that's an acceptable amount. You get home at 4:00 and work until 10:00 with a one-hour break. That's 30 to 60 minutes per subject depending on how many subjects you have. Of course, spending your entire life on school really sucks, even if you get enough sleep. Invariably, you end up taking more time, however, because you are human and thus need to think and can get bored, so you can't get enough sleep and can't finish your work.
10-17-2007 11:33 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Will Wrote:I think most people would say that's an acceptable amount. You get home at 4:00 and work until 10:00 with a one-hour break. That's 30 to 60 minutes per subject depending on how many subjects you have. Of course, spending your entire life on school really sucks, even if you get enough sleep. Invariably, you end up taking more time, however, because you are human and thus need to think and can get bored, so you can't get enough sleep and can't finish your work.

Seriously i think this is insane,but most of my subjects dosen't give me a lot of homeworks,in most subjects,i got like for 15-45 mins of homeworks per class,and i usually finish them in class,but i get hours of homework in french and english,and those homeworks are really boring,that include searching stuff in a dictionnary,which is really boring.

And since when i am done it is 10 PM,i can't do anything,what the fuck could you do within a hour when it is dark outside?

Also i am in high school,2 years(including this one) until college
10-17-2007 11:36 AM
6moredetentions Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

i havent done homework scence 5th grade ....
10-17-2007 11:43 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I think you'll all agree when I say the only acceptable amount of homework should be NONE.

IT'S OUR TIME AT HOME, DAMMIT, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPEND IT HOW WE WANT!
10-17-2007 11:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Do the bare minimum. 5 hours is ridiculous... you already have 6 hours in school, so add that up and that's 11 hours of your day. Wasted. Isn't there some way you can copy homework from other people? Or from the internet? Seriously, if they gave me that much I just wouldn't do it. Or at least not more than one hour's worth.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-17-2007 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Do the bare minimum. 5 hours is ridiculous... you already have 6 hours in school, so add that up and that's 11 hours of your day. Wasted. Isn't there some way you can copy homework from other people? Or from the internet? Seriously, if they gave me that much I just wouldn't do it. Or at least not more than one hour's worth.

Thanks for answering to my topic SoulRiser,nope,i can't copy it from other people because:

-It's their work
-They aren't willing to share their hard work

And the internet dosen't give the answers for that kind of retarded questions,for example,here is my one of my english homeworks for today(i have 3),it's ridiculous:

1.Find a text to read from the class or home
2.Note the title of the article and page
3.Find a new word
4.Copy the context of the new word(minimum 10 words)
5.Qualify the new word(noun,verb etc...)
6.Translate the new word in french according to the context
7.With the new word,compose a sentence about you
8.Repeat 20 times

And even worse,that stupid work actually count on my school term report,so if i don't do it,i have 0.That's not the kind of stuff you can copy or do fast,you have to search every stupid word in the dictionnary.

Isn't a homework supposed to remind the student of what he "learned"(memorise) in class?
10-17-2007 12:01 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

WasabiClock Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:Do the bare minimum. 5 hours is ridiculous... you already have 6 hours in school, so add that up and that's 11 hours of your day. Wasted. Isn't there some way you can copy homework from other people? Or from the internet? Seriously, if they gave me that much I just wouldn't do it. Or at least not more than one hour's worth.

Thanks for answering to my topic SoulRiser,nope,i can't copy it from other people because:

-It's their work
-They aren't willing to share their hard work

And the internet dosen't give the answers for that kind of retarded questions,for example,here is my one of my english homeworks for today(i have 3),it's ridiculous:

1.Find a text to read from the class or home
2.Note the title of the article and page
3.Find a new word
4.Copy the context of the new word(minimum 10 words)
5.Qualify the new word(noun,verb etc...)
6.Translate the new word in french according to the context
7.With the new word,compose a sentence about you
8.Repeat 20 times

And even worse,that stupid work actually count on my school term report,so if i don't do it,i have 0.That's not the kind of stuff you can copy or do fast,you have to search every stupid word in the dictionnary.

Isn't a homework supposed to remind the student of what he "learned"(memorise) in class?
What makes the word new? Also, you can scan the text and use OCR to get text that you can copy easily.
WasabiClock Wrote:
Will Wrote:I think most people would say that's an acceptable amount. You get home at 4:00 and work until 10:00 with a one-hour break. That's 30 to 60 minutes per subject depending on how many subjects you have. Of course, spending your entire life on school really sucks, even if you get enough sleep. Invariably, you end up taking more time, however, because you are human and thus need to think and can get bored, so you can't get enough sleep and can't finish your work.

Seriously i think this is insane,but most of my subjects dosen't give me a lot of homeworks,in most subjects,i got like for 15-45 mins of homeworks per class,and i usually finish them in class,but i get hours of homework in french and english,and those homeworks are really boring,that include searching stuff in a dictionnary,which is really boring.

And since when i am done it is 10 PM,i can't do anything,what the fuck could you do within a hour when it is dark outside?

Also i am in high school,2 years(including this one) until college
I used to get the same thing. The work does get a bit less stupid in higher grades because most people do care less by the higher grades. The hour accounts for eating dinner and getting ready for bed.
10-17-2007 01:27 PM
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Ya know what I do when I get too much pointless homework? I say "Fuck it. Fuck it with something hard and sand-papery." And then I make a list of the much more productive things I did instead of the homework, and I list what I leanred from doing the productive thing, and when I will use it in life(realisticly). I then list what I would have learned form the homework, and when I will use it in life(realisticly).

And whickever list exceeds the other, I do (always the thing that is not homework) and then I turn in the list to my teacher. I then possibly do the homework another time, and not care about my grade on it because it was late.

Keep in min, however, this will not usually work. It has only worked with one teacher that I have had, ever. And then she allowed me to make p my own simular assignment, and I enjoyed it. Try it with your teacher, they will at least be speechless for a few seconds, and then come up with some bogus excuse.
10-17-2007 02:05 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

[quote="Cory"]Ya know what I do when I get too much pointless homework? I say "Fuck it. Fuck it with something hard and sand-papery." quote]

i lol'd a lot at this Laugh
10-17-2007 02:48 PM
. Offline
Revolutionary

Yes, Its completly normal. How dare you question that? Get back to studing or I call mom and no more half hour before bed video games anymore!! Rolleyes

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
[Image: nuke.gif][Image: images90ns5.jpg][Image: nuke.gif]
10-17-2007 03:06 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Cory Wrote:Ya know what I do when I get too much pointless homework? I say "Fuck it. Fuck it with something hard and sand-papery." And then I make a list of the much more productive things I did instead of the homework, and I list what I leanred from doing the productive thing, and when I will use it in life(realisticly). I then list what I would have learned form the homework, and when I will use it in life(realisticly).

And whickever list exceeds the other, I do (always the thing that is not homework) and then I turn in the list to my teacher. I then possibly do the homework another time, and not care about my grade on it because it was late.

Keep in min, however, this will not usually work. It has only worked with one teacher that I have had, ever. And then she allowed me to make p my own simular assignment, and I enjoyed it. Try it with your teacher, they will at least be speechless for a few seconds, and then come up with some bogus excuse.

The problem is that for my very long french homework,i have no choice but to do it:
1.It's a team work
2.I get bad scores on my term report if i don't do it
3.My teacher will call my parents at the first not done homework
4.I get a detention and a copy
5.My parents are gonna unplug the computer if i don't do it
6.My parents say i should not have any free time because school is important,they think it is okay that i work from when i arrive from school to when i have to go to bed

So the teachers kinda got me by the balls,they made it so not making homeworks really sucks

Choice 1:Lots of homework,no free time at all
Choice 2:Not a lot of homework,lots of free time but no computer or video games
10-17-2007 09:30 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Yeah you're bit boxed-in in French No .......

Maybe you could "Sacrifice" the english class? or just calculate you grade to see how much homework you Need to do to pass it?

Do you know if your parents would be ok with getting A's in the easy classes but D's in the evil ones?

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-18-2007 03:53 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

So your teachers and parents are all conspiring against you... that really sucks. Noo

Quote:Choice 1:Lots of homework,no free time at all

How do they enforce that? Is there any way you can do it without them knowing? Or use the computer at a friend's house or something? Or find other hobbies they can't take away, just to spite them? Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-18-2007 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:So your teachers and parents are all conspiring against you... that really sucks. Noo

How do they enforce that? Is there any way you can do it without them knowing? Or use the computer at a friend's house or something? Or find other hobbies they can't take away, just to spite them? Razz

They are gonna put the fault of bad scores on the computer and video games(YEA,ALL THEIR FAULT),my parents are gonna restrict me from seeing friends to going to friends houses,and i don't know what kind of other hobby i could have =p

Also my parents yell at me when i got lower than 70% average
10-18-2007 11:00 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Quote: my parents yell at me when i got lower than 70% average

Lucky you!! I get yelled at for having less than 80, but I rarely have homework.

Hidden stuff:
10-18-2007 11:07 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Dude, are you SERIOUS?! You have GOT to be kidding me. I used to be so scared of getting bad grades and my parents yelling at me and everything. I used to always do my homework and study and basically had no life until one day it hit me like a huge truck "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!" and that's been my motto for the past couple of years. I literally just don't care anymore. How much homework did I actually take with me this week? Literally NONE. I either do it all in study hall, copy from my friends, do it in homeroom, or just don't do it at all. And I still get As and Bs so my parents don't yell at me. I come home, I sleep, I go out, I hang out with friends, I use the computer, I listen to music. It's FREEDOM! All homework does for you is waste your life, and takes away your IQ digits.

And you know what really sucks? That you get a detention for not doing it....they don't do that at my school and I'm so glad. I mean seriously, it's OUR fucking choice whether we want to do it or not. After all, it is OUR grade. How can you get a detention for something you DIDN'T do?
10-18-2007 12:48 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Not giving a fuck is great. I was lucky to not care much at all about that sort of thing, the only thing that ever stressed me out was getting in trouble for stuff I didn't do... but only about 5 minutes before it was likely to happen. I think I was suppressing it though, because I had nightmares about getting in trouble for stuff for many years afterwards... Uhoh

Quote:They are gonna put the fault of bad scores on the computer and video games(YEA,ALL THEIR FAULT),my parents are gonna restrict me from seeing friends to going to friends houses,and i don't know what kind of other hobby i could have =p

Restrict you... as in... physically block you from going out the door or window? Razz
I'm not suggesting you do that though, unless you're sure there's no way they'd kick you out of the house or send you to a gulag school or something. If it was me, I'd pretend to do the work while I'm actually reading some other stuff or drawing or just thinking about stuff. But yeah, they never really checked it for marks or called parents that much. Lucky me Razz

Hidden stuff:
10-18-2007 03:15 PM
. Offline
Revolutionary

chemistry_hater Wrote:Dude, are you SERIOUS?! You have GOT to be kidding me. I used to be so scared of getting bad grades and my parents yelling at me and everything. I used to always do my homework and study and basically had no life until one day it hit me like a huge truck "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!" and that's been my motto for the past couple of years. I literally just don't care anymore. How much homework did I actually take with me this week? Literally NONE. I either do it all in study hall, copy from my friends, do it in homeroom, or just don't do it at all. And I still get As and Bs so my parents don't yell at me. I come home, I sleep, I go out, I hang out with friends, I use the computer, I listen to music. It's FREEDOM! All homework does for you is waste your life, and takes away your IQ digits.

And you know what really sucks? That you get a detention for not doing it....they don't do that at my school and I'm so glad. I mean seriously, it's OUR fucking choice whether we want to do it or not. After all, it is OUR grade. How can you get a detention for something you DIDN'T do?

Agreed, Thats the system, and It works because Kids complain lightly, Than shut up and turn into Slaves. So sad.

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
[Image: nuke.gif][Image: images90ns5.jpg][Image: nuke.gif]
10-18-2007 03:43 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

WasabiClock Wrote:
Cory Wrote:Ya know what I do when I get too much pointless homework? I say "Fuck it. Fuck it with something hard and sand-papery." And then I make a list of the much more productive things I did instead of the homework, and I list what I leanred from doing the productive thing, and when I will use it in life(realisticly). I then list what I would have learned form the homework, and when I will use it in life(realisticly).

The problem is that for my very long french homework,i have no choice but to do it:
1.It's a team work
2.I get bad scores on my term report if i don't do it
3.My teacher will call my parents at the first not done homework
4.I get a detention and a copy
5.My parents are gonna unplug the computer if i don't do it
6.My parents say i should not have any free time because school is important,they think it is okay that i work from when i arrive from school to when i have to go to bed

So the teachers kinda got me by the balls,they made it so not making homeworks really sucks

Choice 1:Lots of homework,no free time at all
Here's one problem I realized a long time ago with material bribes for grades: In order to get such good grades as my parents wanted me to get, I would have had to avoid "wasting" any time doing any non-school work, so I wouldn't have had time to use the material reward once I got it.

What if you stop doing work and sleep or read instead? This isn't something you should necessarily try to do; it'll just happen when you get too fed up with school.
10-20-2007 07:05 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

If i don't do this crapass project i will have 0 on my term report =/

And no one got the guts to get up and complaint =p
10-21-2007 01:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Duncan Seeks Feedback During #StuVoice Twitter Chat (Monday evening) xcriteria 4 3,394 01-14-2014 11:49 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Parents evening. Spot-ify 13 1,684 12-11-2009 02:14 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Good evening scheldule or not? KitsuneSefam 6 1,079 04-15-2008 03:57 AM
Last Post: Ahab