RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a detention for talking
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Got a detention for talking

I got a detention in US history today. I was talking to my friend, quietly, in no way was this a disruption of class, which you give detentions for of course (as teachers claim), not simply talking. I doubt he even heard me. He saw me talking and told me to stop. I didn't. He says this to everyone in the class at least once a day, like I'm going to take this seriously. So I me and my friend continued talking afterwards. He said me and my friend have a detention.

"That should keep you from talking". He said.

We talked the rest of class. Smile

Once class was almost over he handed us these forms we had to fill out, for the detention. "You guys can't talk." I snatched it out of his hand and my friend laughed, I think that pissed him off even more. We had to get it signed by our parents or something like that. You don't need that to stay for a detention, so me and my friend threw it out.

We have to stay next Wednesday according to my teacher. I talked with my friend, and we're going to skip it. I don't even think he'll remember. If he does, I'll pull something I have on him. According to the class rules he gave at the beginning of the year, he gives us a verbal warning, a written warning, then a detention.

There was no written warning. This isn't the schools rules, this is his rules. He's breaking his own fucking rules. What a cunt.

If he wants us to pay attention, too bad. Let it reflect in our grades when we take a test on the stuff. Don't make us stay an extra hour in school, what the fuck. I could understand if I was disrupting the class, but as I said, he couldn't even hear us.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-19-2007 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Your teacher sounds like a dipshit. Although, if I was you, I would've took the forms and tore them up right in front of his face... and then laughed. Don't go to that detention. Fuck that shit. You not paying attention in class will most likely affect your grades in a bad way, and it seems like you are willing to accept that. It's a damn shame that your teacher is being a dipshit and not letting you make your own decisions that way. Besides, those mofos get paid even if you fail. I always hear this from teachers, "You're not hurting me by not doing the work. I get paid if you get an A and I still get paid if you fail."

I'm extra sympathetic because last year, I had a U.S. history teacher that always bitched about me reading Galen's rants instead of doing work. I guess to him it wasn't enough that I was getting E's, but he had to be a bitch about it.
10-19-2007 09:00 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

If I don't feel like I know what we're talking about, I'll do some online research, or take my book home and skim the chapter. Paying attention in class won't guarantee me an A. Even when it appears like I'm paying attention, I'm actually zoning out.

Thanks for the comments, I feel a lot better about this now. I had a really stressful day and this didn't help. I hate how teachers treat me and others.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-19-2007 09:11 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

your teacher is a cock

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-19-2007 09:27 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

...sucker
10-19-2007 09:31 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Fuck the fucking system, Fuck the fucking teachers, Get out of there as soon as you can. Uhoh

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
[Image: nuke.gif][Image: images90ns5.jpg][Image: nuke.gif]
10-19-2007 10:08 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Dickhead!!

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-20-2007 12:19 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

I might have eventually paid attention, but when teachers do shit like this it makes me unmotivated.

Today the whole class was loud, it quieted down (there was still kids talking) and it began. I said ONE thing to my friend.

"Dylan, turn around and pay attention".
"If I turn around and face the front I can't see the overhead projection!"

My seat is at the end of the row, my friend Jake is behind me. I was sitting kind of sideways, in order to look at the overhead projection on the wall. If I face the front, I'm looking at a fucking door. I'm not turning my head for almost an hour looking at the overhead projection just to end up with an ache in my neck. So I faced the door the entire class and didn't pay attention to anything. Hmm....I still wasn't paying attention. So as long as I don't talk and don't pay attention it's every thing's FINE!

10-20-2007 04:57 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That teacher sounds like he has power issues or something.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-20-2007 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
. Offline
Revolutionary

You should punch him. Mwahaha

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
10-20-2007 08:26 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I know how you feel. I never got a detention FOR TALKING (that's retarded) but our EVIL study hall teacher always has to remind us it's a quiet study hall which means no talking at ALL. But it isn't fair because EVERY study hall in the school isn't "quiet". Everyone else outside our class are allowed to talk in study hall. So we told her that, and she was like "well, I don't want you disrupting other people because they want to do their homework". Umm...one word: BULLSHIT! If that was true than how come EVERYONE is that class wants to talk? I bet she just loves torturing kids. And they say that if we didn't go to school, we wouldn't have any social skills. WHAT SOCIAL SKILLS? We can't even talk. She writes people up to go to the office if they talk. That's why I always draw ugly pictures of her in my notebook and pass them around.
10-20-2007 10:38 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

I love how when you aren't affecting the class in anyway by talking they still bother you like they care about your "education" Rolleyes

10-20-2007 10:39 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Mr.AtomicExplosion Wrote:I love how when you aren't affecting the class in anyway by talking they still bother you like they care about your "education" Rolleyes

yeah I know. They just want the money, which I must say isn't a lot. Teacher is the worst career ever....yes, even worse than cleaning toilets.
10-20-2007 10:40 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

Its funny on SHAT SAT (One of those shits) They made us come in the middle of day for two periods, First was your first period and the last was your last on your norm schedule , It was so weird.. I didn't go, Screw that. Rolleyes Laugh

10-20-2007 10:48 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

I've made up my mind. Even if I can't fight it, I'm not going to serve it and deal with the consequences this brings me in school and at home.

I have little to no dignity. I'm at a point in my life where everything I do is controlled in some way. I'm going to take back some of that dignity and make my own decision, the decision to deal with the consequences of going against injustice.

Thanks for the comments and support everyone.

10-20-2007 11:11 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

So what are you going to do, not go to the prison #1? or get the truancy officers to butt rape you and put you in prison #2, or can you legally drop out? Omg

10-20-2007 02:59 PM
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

chemistry_hater Wrote:yeah I know. They just want the money, which I must say isn't a lot. Teacher is the worst career ever....yes, even worse than cleaning toilets.

Not if you're brainwashed, then you think you're "helping the kids"

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
10-20-2007 06:54 PM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Tomorrow we'll see what happens. Tomorrow is when I'm supposed to stay. I know I'm going to be paranoid as hell every time I hear the phone ring, I know he's called parents in the past. I'm sticking to it, and I'm not going to make excuses. What he did to me was wrong. You can't punish someone for talking. I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me after school (he, like most teachers, stays after for a while everyday anyways, so it's not like I'm making him stay too.).

Wish me luck.

10-24-2007 12:39 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Good luck. Salute

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-25-2007 03:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

My dads going to be so pissed when he finds out I (possibly) have an office detention. At least I reclaimed some dignity.

He reminded me and my friend in class today that we had a detention by saying, "You two have a date with me after school." Then he had a good long laugh. I bet he felt like a fucking dumb ass when neither one of us laughed, or said anything to him. He also reminded us that if we don't serve the detention, we get an office detention.

I'd rather sit in the office for 15 extra minutes than give him the satisfaction. I'd like to have had a camera set up, to see what he did when neither one of us showed up today. Biggrin

I wonder what he's going to say to us tomorrow.... Laugh

10-25-2007 09:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I'd rather sit in the office for 15 extra minutes than give him the satisfaction. I'd like to have had a camera set up, to see what he did when neither one of us showed up today. Biggrin

Yeah, I'd like to see that too Evil

Hidden stuff:
10-25-2007 10:42 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Haha, this is what he said today.

"Guys, I'm disappointed. You disrupted the class, got a detention, we could have got this done between us. Now I got the administration (or something like that) involved." He basically said he told the office, now we probably have an office detention. He just tried to make it sound all scary, we just smiled at him.

10-26-2007 04:47 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

It's sort of ironic. All this fuss, just because you spoke in class. What about all this extra talking that has happened because of it? The teacher talking to you, talking to the principal, organizing detentions... that's wasted a helluva lot more time than they could claim your original talking did Razz

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2007 04:07 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Definitely.

They called me down in the middle of Biology with my friend (NOW IT'S DISRUPTING ANOTHER CLASS, this is on THEM!) and the vice principal told us we have to serve an office detention on Tuesday otherwise we have a suspension.

10-27-2007 04:35 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Laugh
What do you do in an office detention anyway? Suspension sounds like fun though Razz

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2007 04:49 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

SoulRiser Wrote:Laugh
What do you do in an office detention anyway? Suspension sounds like fun though Razz

A regular detention is about 20 minutes and is spent with the teacher who gave you the detention in their room. An office detention is an hour long, and it's spent in the office sitting on the bench, you're not allowed to move, talk, or do shit except for work that you're required to bring with you. If you skip a regular detention, you get an office. You skip an office, you get a suspension, and when you get back, you have to serve the office detention. If you don't bring anything to work on (aka use your time wisely) you have to sit there the whole time, then serve the office again. Suspension for skipping an office is an internal suspension for a day I think, basically like an office detention all day instead of classes. More to get you in trouble than to punish you, though.

I'm going to serve the office, even though it would please me greatly to skip that too, I'm just glad I skipped the first one. I'm probably already in deep shit with my dad. But my self worth is in tact, and taking this small risk is a small step in taking my life into my own hands. Biggrin

10-27-2007 05:06 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Ok, I'm staying after tomorrow. Taking the late bus home. I get out at school normally at 2:13, I will be getting home at 4:00 because of this. Thanks Mr. Salvador. Least this is almost over now. I can put it behind me. My intentions were to not serve the regular detention, and in the process break down some of that mental block I have about getting in trouble with my dad. Both are a success.

10-30-2007 08:14 AM
Towncommoner Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Evasion Wrote:Ok, I'm staying after tomorrow. Taking the late bus home. I get out at school normally at 2:13, I will be getting home at 4:00 because of this. Thanks Mr. Salvador. Least this is almost over now. I can put it behind me. My intentions were to not serve the regular detention, and in the process break down some of that mental block I have about getting in trouble with my dad. Both are a success.

How about you just not serve any? Well, that's a little extreme, but it would work...
10-30-2007 08:17 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Towncommoner Wrote:
Evasion Wrote:Ok, I'm staying after tomorrow. Taking the late bus home. I get out at school normally at 2:13, I will be getting home at 4:00 because of this. Thanks Mr. Salvador. Least this is almost over now. I can put it behind me. My intentions were to not serve the regular detention, and in the process break down some of that mental block I have about getting in trouble with my dad. Both are a success.

How about you just not serve any? Well, that's a little extreme, but it would work...

That would make me so happy to do. But my mental block about my dad isn't that far down. Give me a little more time.

10-30-2007 08:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Morning detention for not talking, and more. Sapphire Flames 6 4,209 04-21-2012 04:40 AM
Last Post: Luizao876
  TALKING! weirdalyankovicfan272727 6 3,067 03-25-2008 04:25 AM
Last Post: NiteRaidah