RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happend to "Try your best"? How does grading
. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
What happend to "Try your best"? How does grading

Its no longer "try your best"

It is get 100 on every test or you fail, No more lets see if hes making an effort, oh no, There too lazy to pay attention to individual kids, We're like machines, We get tested and thats it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, What is the point of the whole "grading" system, Who came up with it, isn't school about learning (which they don't do good anymore), People forget the point of school is to learn. Parents who say just do your homework and pass test barley at least so you can move on, Are just lazy hypocrite's that are programmed to support the grading system versus a real education.

Students who struggle and barley pass in school just focusing on passing and arent focusing on learning stuff for an education an d the future, People are so fucking stupid, GAHH!! How can people not see this? ITS NOT A PART OF LIFE, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, Stop giving in to school, If your struggling just trying to pass than your not learning and you'd be better off home sleeping or googling it in your own home.

God, I'm so sick of it. Thats why I'm getting home schooled and my mom is really considering it. The thought of being on my own time and in my own house, You could learn faster, Shorter Classes, and understand things better. I'll still take all the test at my local Highschool or get them mailed.[/u]

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
[Image: nuke.gif][Image: images90ns5.jpg][Image: nuke.gif]
10-19-2007 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

True, but I make A's ans B's and still learn nothing. And I would like to know who started the grade thing. Come on, whats the difference between and 69 and a 70.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-19-2007 09:46 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

There is none, Its a method of control. Learning is not what school is for, Its for a bullshit teacher writing a bullshit number/letter down so you can get into college better and trick you into thinking your smart, Mommy and Daddy should be so proud her/his child.

A's and B's doesn't mean your smart, It probably means you did your homework and memorized some stuff so fast that you forgot it completey by the end of the year.

Every year we learn new bullshit, and at the end most of that bullshit you forget. Heck, I'm learned all my vocabulary playing online games and talking on forums. Fuck reading crappy books and basing your entire semester on a book about Indian marriages called "Nectar In A Sieve", I failed my English Honors class because of it, I refuse to read a book I want to wipe my ass with. Its so old and of such poor quality, I'm sure some kid has already. Noo Rolleyes

The book was gray and has pictures of dicks on it, This is the updated version the schools cannot afford.

http://www.wheaton.edu/HNGR/Images/Book%...nectar.gif

"Countless people will hate the new world order and will die protesting against it" - H.G. Wells
10-19-2007 09:53 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Quote:A's and B's doesn't mean your smart, It probably means you did your homework and memorized some stuff so fast that you forgot it completey by the end of the year.

You hit the nail on the head and I really don't do much homework at all. I don't get much and the tests are easy

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-19-2007 09:58 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

It depends on the class with me.

In global class we're learning about Indian Religion, Government, I got 100 on my last test. Its the only reasonably interesting class where the teacher teachers, and you understand. Its still a, Read a sheet, answers questions, discuss method, But It works a little bit, but I still don't like it.

In English Honors we're reading that crappy book that I was talking about, Probably I got under a 40 probably, the ones I got right we're from guessing.

10-19-2007 10:02 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I TOTALLY COMPLETELY AGREE!

I get As and Bs, but that doesn't make me smart at ALL. I think the smart ones are the people who don't even try because they see that there's no point in doing it anyway. That's why I NEVER bring homework home, I NEVER study, and I NEVER read a school book. The three main reasons being, I could learn something better, faster, and more useful in a different way instead of doing stuff I am forced to do; it is a complete waste of LIFE; and whatever I "learn" from what I did/studied/read, will surely be forgotten in about an hour or so. Yet somehow, I manage to get As and Bs. Haha, doesn't bother me none (of course).

You're right. We don't LEARN in school. Today (after school) I learned MANY more things than I have in the past 2 months of school. Honestly. In the past two months of school I've learned to cheat better, how to sleep in class without the teacher noticing, and how to get away with other stuff that you're not supposed to do in school. But I don't think that's what we're actually supposed to learn. By going to school, people lose IQ digits, it's true. That is, if they actually believe in all the bullshit that comes out of the principal's/teacher's/other adult's mouth. I feel REALLY bad for those students who study all day, who try so hard to get straight As, and who take school so seriously. My motto "sit back and relax". School is NOT stressful, those students MAKE it be. While I'm there, I'm gonna make it fun for myself. They say we're all different, and they tell us to be ourselves and that we all have individual needs. What they need to do is start TREATING us like individuals. I don't want to fucking be a scientist when I grow up, I don't give a shit about the people that do, we're not all gonna want to be scientists, so why the fuck are we ALL being forced to take science? I forgot EVERYTHING I learned last year, why? Because it doesn't interest me. How is that gonna help me in life? NEWSFLASH, it's NOT! I have learned SO MANY MORE science related things over the net BY MY OWN WILL than I have in every school year I have passed (which is 9).

I HATE SCHOOL! Lucky you! I'm JEALOUS! I want to be homeschooled but my parents are one of the MILLIONS of parents who are ignorant and pathetic. They just don't understand how fucked up school is these days. It's like PRISON. Literally. NONE of my classes have windows in them. What are they trying to do? "Provide a better learning environment"?
10-19-2007 10:34 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Generally being "smart" means you can memorize and regurgitate much information, but being "intelligent" is completely different. You can form your own ideas and are creative. (Creativitiy is very rare)
And the punishments/rewards stystem (grades, ect.) is very ineffective. They use it to make sure "everyone is actually learning." Social pressure makes them care. The problem really with out education is that they really try to "fill the pale" as opposed to "sparking the fire."
If you get what I mean.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-19-2007 11:08 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

chemistry_hater Wrote:I TOTALLY COMPLETELY AGREE!

I get As and Bs, but that doesn't make me smart at ALL. I think the smart ones are the people who don't even try because they see that there's no point in doing it anyway. That's why I NEVER bring homework home, I NEVER study, and I NEVER read a school book. The three main reasons being, I could learn something better, faster, and more useful in a different way instead of doing stuff I am forced to do; it is a complete waste of LIFE; and whatever I "learn" from what I did/studied/read, will surely be forgotten in about an hour or so. Yet somehow, I manage to get As and Bs. Haha, doesn't bother me none (of course).

You're right. We don't LEARN in school. Today (after school) I learned MANY more things than I have in the past 2 months of school. Honestly. In the past two months of school I've learned to cheat better, how to sleep in class without the teacher noticing, and how to get away with other stuff that you're not supposed to do in school. But I don't think that's what we're actually supposed to learn. By going to school, people lose IQ digits, it's true. That is, if they actually believe in all the bullshit that comes out of the principal's/teacher's/other adult's mouth. I feel REALLY bad for those students who study all day, who try so hard to get straight As, and who take school so seriously. My motto "sit back and relax". School is NOT stressful, those students MAKE it be. While I'm there, I'm gonna make it fun for myself. They say we're all different, and they tell us to be ourselves and that we all have individual needs. What they need to do is start TREATING us like individuals. I don't want to fucking be a scientist when I grow up, I don't give a shit about the people that do, we're not all gonna want to be scientists, so why the fuck are we ALL being forced to take science? I forgot EVERYTHING I learned last year, why? Because it doesn't interest me. How is that gonna help me in life? NEWSFLASH, it's NOT! I have learned SO MANY MORE science related things over the net BY MY OWN WILL than I have in every school year I have passed (which is 9).

I HATE SCHOOL! Lucky you! I'm JEALOUS! I want to be homeschooled but my parents are one of the MILLIONS of parents who are ignorant and pathetic. They just don't understand how fucked up school is these days. It's like PRISON. Literally. NONE of my classes have windows in them. What are they trying to do? "Provide a better learning environment"?

I know, Nice response, My mom and my grandma live with me and my brother, long history of family problems. My mom wants me to be happy and because of my extreme suicide and depression and also I sway people very easily, My mom understand and listens but brings up the basic stuff "DONT YOU WANT TO GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?" She promised to look into it yesterday and finally took me serious, so now begins the start of my quest to homeschooling and escaping the system.

10-19-2007 11:14 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Oh I see. Well I'm glad she finally took you seriously. Biggrin

Freak-of-nature14, I agree with you. Your definition of "smart" and "intelligent" is so true. I've been meaning to say this and I just remember, school takes your creativity away little by little.
10-19-2007 11:17 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

Agreed. I am plenty intelligent.

and Smart... Well depends on the topic, In general I am veryyy smart.

10-19-2007 12:21 PM
Faust Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

It's "Try your best, but we are the ones who decide what your best is."

So ridiculous.

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
10-19-2007 12:23 PM
Fuckthesystem Offline
Revolutionary

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Very bullshitty indeed...

[Image: fuckthesystem.jpg]

"The seeds of oppression, will one day bear the fruit of rebellion."

-Anonymous

Also, I just realized I spelled "bear" wrong in my sig. I changed it, but, how disgraceful...

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 550073.jpg
10-19-2007 12:24 PM
. Offline
Revolutionary

Hahahaha, So true. The system is so unfair aswell, A essay one teacher might like and another might hate. So its all a unfair system. Some unlucky kids might miss a chance at going to Harvard because some asshole teacher lost his wife and got mad so he took it out on the kids or something, The teachers always act like they have something to be angry at. Cuckoo

10-19-2007 12:25 PM
Fuckthesystem Offline
Revolutionary

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Wouldn't it be great if WE were the system!?!?

[Image: fuckthesystem.jpg]

"The seeds of oppression, will one day bear the fruit of rebellion."

-Anonymous

Also, I just realized I spelled "bear" wrong in my sig. I changed it, but, how disgraceful...

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 550073.jpg
10-19-2007 12:29 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Fuckthesystem Wrote:Wouldn't it be great if WE were the system!?!?
Not really. It would be better if there were no "system", at least not in the way I think you meant it.
10-19-2007 12:35 PM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Mr.AtomicExplosion Wrote:Hahahaha, So true. The system is so unfair aswell, A essay one teacher might like and another might hate. So its all a unfair system. Some unlucky kids might miss a chance at going to Harvard because some asshole teacher lost his wife and got mad so he took it out on the kids or something, The teachers always act like they have something to be angry at. Cuckoo

Who gives a flip about Harvard? I, for one, don't want to go there, yes, even if it was free. Plus, don't assume (not that you did) that just because Harvard is such a good school, that it must mean all the "smart" people go there. Because actually, that's quite false.
10-20-2007 11:30 AM
. Offline
Revolutionary

I was just referring to it as a example like for a high school student who needs a good grade to get into harvard and he gets some bullshit teacher and fails.

10-20-2007 02:57 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I think that the idea of grading beyond pass/fail is already stupid and that raising the grade of someone because he puts in more effort is even stupider. If anything, the grade should show whether you learned what was taught in the class so that other people can see what you know. If you have to work harder than everyone else in order to learn the same things, the other people must be better learners. That said, school is about much more than learning. If you actually want to learn something that you find difficult, the grade shouldn't be necessary to motivate you. If you don't want to learn it right now, you shouldn't try to.
10-21-2007 11:55 PM
Towncommoner Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

The only thing I care to learn in school are things I care about. Mainly everything in the computer class I'm taking (I also get a shitload of certifications in this class; I might not even need to go to college if I get all of them). Although that class requires a 3.0 GPA minimum... that's really the only reason I'm trying to keep my grades relatively decent.
10-23-2007 11:04 AM
randyhart Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I am NOT smart I am Dumb....Ask Me ANYTHING about Philosophy and other stuff but when it comes to what I'm "taught" in school I don't know shizzle

The World seemed to all make sense but that sense seemed to slowly fade now in 11th grade
10-23-2007 08:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Grading Glitch? craxyguy562 1 903 05-26-2015 03:11 PM
Last Post: Chanku
  Mark Barnes: 7 Reasons teachers should stop grading their students forever xcriteria 3 2,482 01-22-2015 11:06 AM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  A Grading System for Psycology Subb 10 5,350 01-06-2014 04:08 PM
Last Post: Subb
  Parental Grading AWOL 9 2,108 04-23-2008 06:35 AM
Last Post: Hayley44
  The funniest thing happend at school the other day poopidoop2 3 1,342 02-17-2008 05:15 AM
Last Post: poopidoop2
  Bullshit Grading tock172 20 3,031 09-19-2007 12:39 PM
Last Post: thewake
  Grading System payback123 9 1,535 05-12-2007 01:39 PM
Last Post: Dark Soul X