RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for time...
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Time for time...

What is the nature of time?

Aside from how we measure it, are there base "units" of time, like there are base units of matter?
Or is it simply a continous flow of some unknowable infinity?
For that matter, do you consider "timeline" an accurate word?

Given those opinions, whichever you subscribe to, is time travel possible? If light is the universe's constant, as Einstein claimed, would it be possible to send a particle back in time by light manipulation? If that's the case, how could anyone ever venture to insert the first particle into one of these light-time devices without expecting a particle to bounce right back at you before you even insert it?

Thoughts on "spacetime" and quantum theory welcome as well.

As far as I'm concerned there have to be base units of time, even if time is just continually renewing chaos.

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/why_become.html
http://www.seesharppress.com/anarchismwhatis.html
10-24-2007 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

You talking about time?

I dunno, I really don't think about it as anything, I mean it just happens, doesn't it?

Also, about time travel, I think it's really dangerous. The whole history of mankind could be jeopardized.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-24-2007 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Time travel is very confusing to me.

Say there's this biker gang called the Baby Skulls, and one of them goes back in time and somehow changes the present. What happens to the people who are in the present whose perspectives were suddenly shifted? Or if they just stopped existing? Would they remember being in one version of the present, and then suddenly being in another? Or would they just remember their life in one version?

For any of that to happen, both versions would have to be "playing" simultaneously. I hope that makes sense to you guys. To me, it seems it's kind of lacking depth, but I don't really know of a better way to describe it.
10-24-2007 10:45 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I believe that whatever happens in time, is meant to happen. Let's say that you go back in time to save your friend's life, then I believe somehow you'll be the result of their death. Time can't be changed.
10-24-2007 10:55 AM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

Eidolon Wrote:Say there's this biker gang called the Baby Skulls, and one of them goes back in time and somehow changes the present. What happens to the people who are in the present whose perspectives were suddenly shifted? Or if they just stopped existing? Would they remember being in one version of the present, and then suddenly being in another? Or would they just remember their life in one version?

HAHAHA awesome Whitest Kids You Know reference. That skit rocked.

And i wrote a paper on past, present, and future a little while back. I'll have to go find it now Biggrin

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
10-24-2007 11:09 AM
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

I'm not to much of a fatalist, so I see time rather strangely, and as far as spacetime is concerned, I actually disagree with Einstein (a move so stupid it's smart or vice versa?).

I think how fast light moves has to do with jack squat. Most proofs of relativity I see fall into two categories - the doppler effect, or purely speculative theories (and again, I'm no expert, so it's not like I'm betting my firstborn on it).

First off, I don't think the present exists. All present is past, and all of the past DOES NOT EXIST. Whatever was, is no longer. Also, time can't be a "line" to me. It's a warping singularity.
Which then leads me to conclude that IF time travel were mastered, we would be unable to travel into the past. What we could do, however, (by moving fast enough) is make it appear as though we're moving back in time due to the delay in what is happening, and when we percieve that it happens. I don't know, it's confusing.

10-24-2007 11:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The One Offline
Revolutionary

I couldn't find a copy of my essay so here's an EXTREMELY summarized version:

The Past only exists as a memory, theres no way to prove something as being the past.

The Present can't exist because as soon as it is observed it becomes the past... which doesn't exist. (this goes down to an infinite level)

The Future doesn't exist because it hasn't happened yet.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
10-24-2007 11:26 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

You guys are making some pretty good points, but light is not a constant, as scientists are fully capable of slowing it down to 32 mph, speeding it up a bit, and may soon be able to program data into it.

Look up Bose-Einsteinium-Condensation.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
10-24-2007 01:21 PM
TheDelinquent Offline
Revolutionary

Now THAT is news to me. Awesome.

10-24-2007 01:31 PM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

Bose-Einstein Condensates are a state of matter where more than one atom takes up the exact same space. Atoms are slowed down until they no longer move AT ALL (using lasers and magnetic energy distribution fields), causing the temperature of the atom to effectively be absolute zero (this is the only way to make something 0 K)

Atoms that don't move at all act strangely, and it was found that atoms would effectively collapse onto each other. Bose-Einstein condensates have so much energy that they lose none of it through friction. They overcome gravity, meaning if you put a B-E condensate in a jar, it'll fill the jar much like a gas would. And they will move randomly due to quantum activity.

Gotta love physics classes Biggrin

I dont know how this concept relates to light though..

- Plato
10-24-2007 01:43 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

You guys have obviously never heard of a flux capacitor.
10-24-2007 02:34 PM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

It relates to light simply for the reason that they can slow down light to 32 mph using a B-E condensate.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
10-24-2007 07:49 PM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

hmm, i musta not gotten to that concept yet in class lol. sounds awesome though

- Plato
10-25-2007 09:35 AM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

explain plz?

- Plato
10-25-2007 02:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time Is Money James Comey 11 4,610 04-05-2017 02:10 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  It's Time for a Revolution revolution1221 8 4,407 09-25-2013 02:37 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Is being happy all the time ... bad? LiptomaticMate 31 13,842 03-20-2013 03:05 AM
Last Post: foolycooly
  Time Capsule Miller0700 14 3,412 05-30-2012 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mælstrom
  Romney To Travel Back In Time To Kill Liberal Versions Of Himself fish20 4 2,392 04-23-2012 03:46 PM
Last Post: ireneB
  Is Time Cubic? thewake 12 6,567 04-09-2012 01:12 PM
Last Post: iexist
  Let's make our own country! Constitutional Convention Time! thewake 50 11,452 08-10-2011 05:02 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  Is time travel possible? spacejunkie 6 3,542 01-12-2011 06:20 PM
Last Post: Wednesday
  It's time to help wikileaks. Absnt 11 3,270 12-12-2010 12:04 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Time, a continuous loop. fish20 3 1,387 11-21-2010 07:52 AM
Last Post: Vatman