RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My brothers argument for school
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
My brothers argument for school

My brother and I were having a conversation about school. His argument is that everyone should be forced to do certain subjects, even one's they don't like because

A.You may like it in the future which in turn will give you more qualification
B.If no one was "forced" into taking complexed subjects, they would all take gym or art or something easy

He always says "Yes I'm smarter than you because I got X% in math, and you failed" I've got no real argument against this besides "School doesn't determine how smart you are" but he's one of those stubborn pricks who refuses to listen, and thinks he's fucking Albert Einstein because he graduated from high school (Except for the fact that he smokes)

2. He always says "Why are you always a prick to your teachers? why do you always refuse to do what they tell you? just suck it up and get it over with" = Perfect example of someone who has been brainwashed by school

Any arguments against these would be appreciated.
10-26-2007 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

"Just think of the sheer idiocy of compulsory education. We threaten these children with imprisonment if they do not appear in class. Once in class, they spend their time either sleeping or completing tasks that are completely irrelevant to them. By giving them no option in their schooling, what have we taught them? The first lesson they learn is to detest learning, to hold unbridled sympathy for education. Take any man, put him in chains, and force him to recite poetry, or force him to play an instrument, or force him to farm the land -- and once he becomes a free man, do you think he will want to engage in that activity that was forced upon him? The scars on a slaves hands from working the fields, the memories of abuse of a house servant; given the right to do as they wish in the world, is it likely to think that they will return to that work which they were forced to do? And then consider schools. We force children to sit and overfeed them erroneous facts, faulty logic, damaged reasoning, concealed under the guise of "schooling." Once the mental faculties of these children are damaged, their heart grows an animosity towards learning, towards books, towards facts and knowledge. It is the greatest folly to make children hate learning, and the greatest danger to a real, living Democracy in any nation."

http://punkerslut.com/articles/bearebel.html

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-26-2007 07:39 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:2. He always says "Why are you always a prick to your teachers? why do you always refuse to do what they tell you? just suck it up and get it over with" = Perfect example of someone who has been brainwashed by school
I semi-agree with this. Teachers= livings beings and deserve a certain amount of respect. You shouldn't dislike them and be an asshole simply because they're teachers. 98% of them would bend over backwards if you tried in school.
But I disagree with sucking up, and especially sucking up to "get things over with"

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-26-2007 08:50 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Just stop arguing and admit that he's smart and you're stupid. That would make me feel awkward. And then you can do some smart thing when you feel like it in a few years and make fun of him.
10-26-2007 01:51 PM
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Freak-of-nature14 Wrote:
Quote:2. He always says "Why are you always a prick to your teachers? why do you always refuse to do what they tell you? just suck it up and get it over with" = Perfect example of someone who has been brainwashed by school
I semi-agree with this. Teachers= livings beings and deserve a certain amount of respect. You shouldn't dislike them and be an asshole simply because they're teachers. 98% of them would bend over backwards if you tried in school.
But I disagree with sucking up, and especially sucking up to "get things over with"

So, students are not living beings?

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
10-26-2007 04:14 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Evasion Wrote:"Just think of the sheer idiocy of compulsory education. We threaten these children with imprisonment if they do not appear in class. Once in class, they spend their time either sleeping or completing tasks that are completely irrelevant to them. By giving them no option in their schooling, what have we taught them? The first lesson they learn is to detest learning, to hold unbridled sympathy for education. Take any man, put him in chains, and force him to recite poetry, or force him to play an instrument, or force him to farm the land -- and once he becomes a free man, do you think he will want to engage in that activity that was forced upon him? The scars on a slaves hands from working the fields, the memories of abuse of a house servant; given the right to do as they wish in the world, is it likely to think that they will return to that work which they were forced to do? And then consider schools. We force children to sit and overfeed them erroneous facts, faulty logic, damaged reasoning, concealed under the guise of "schooling." Once the mental faculties of these children are damaged, their heart grows an animosity towards learning, towards books, towards facts and knowledge. It is the greatest folly to make children hate learning, and the greatest danger to a real, living Democracy in any nation."

http://punkerslut.com/articles/bearebel.html

True enough, thanks
10-27-2007 03:11 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:A.You may like it in the future which in turn will give you more qualification

Yeah, sure, if by some miracle you actually remember any of it by then. Stabhead

Quote:B.If no one was "forced" into taking complexed subjects, they would all take gym or art or something easy

No they wouldn't. Some people prefer math and stuff over art/gym. Gym isn't easy for everyone either. For some people it's a living hell.

Quote:He always says "Yes I'm smarter than you because I got X% in math, and you failed"

If he has to resort to saying stupid things like that, it probably means he is actually insecure about his intelligence and saying that makes him feel better.

Quote:I semi-agree with this. Teachers= livings beings and deserve a certain amount of respect. You shouldn't dislike them and be an asshole simply because they're teachers. 98% of them would bend over backwards if you tried in school.

Just like they shouldn't dislike and be an asshole to you just because you're a student. 98% of students would try in school if they actually wanted to go there in the first place.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-27-2007 03:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

He sounds like my brother in law. Just tell him that its you're life and you're going to make your own decisions whether he agrees with them or not. Granted if he is like my brother in law that won't shut him up. He'll probably get pissed off and do something childish and immature. But it will close the arguement and make him look like a spoiled brat.
10-27-2007 04:47 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

roberterher Wrote:So, students are not living beings?
I didn't say anything about students, did I dumbass? OK then. Lots of idiot's on here stereotype teachers as if they are out to get you, and that most are condescending assholes. Most teachers I've encountered respect you as long as you respect them. I've also noticed that some students are complete dicks to teachers just because they're teachers. I'll admit some teachers are condescending, but I mean.... they went through six years of college to teach. So oviously they'd have to REALLY, REALLY want to do their job. So, logically thinking, they couldn't be that bad.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-27-2007 09:23 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I'll admit some teachers are condescending, but I mean.... they went through six years of college to teach. So oviously they'd have to REALLY, REALLY want to do their job. So, logically thinking, they couldn't be that bad.

Just because someone went through that much to do their job still doesn't automatically mean that's what they wanted to do. Or even if it was, maybe they changed their minds about it later.

Generalizing is bad, and that goes both ways.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2007 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Well it sounded like you said teachers deserve respect because they're teachers, cause students weren't mentioned at all.
"teachers deserves respect" No they don't, if they treat everyone like crap.

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
10-27-2007 06:18 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Your brother is a product of the system. There's just no arguing with people like that. I think a lot of the people who defend public school actually hated it as kids, but seek to justify it in their minds by forcing it on the next generation. After all, why should you have things easier than they did? It's that type of twisted logic they use.

As for learning, I did despise it in high school. I found that after I was out of school and had the freedom to just watch stuff on PBS and look stuff up online, I learned and retained things much faster and better than I ever had in school. I have educated myself to nearly expert level on a few subjects. Learning needs to be a self-guided, individual effort, not group work done in class rooms.

@silverfang1977
10-28-2007 02:08 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

OmegaWolf747 Wrote:Your brother is a product of the system. There's just no arguing with people like that.
Arguing doesn't work in general. When we use the words "argue" or "debate," we generally mean that the people arguing have such firm beliefs that they will not let themselves change their minds. One feels like he loses the argument if he gives in to anything the other says. That's why there's no sense in arguing with anybody, which certainly includes "products of the system." What's so special about "products of the system" though? A lot of them found this site.
OmegaWolf747 Wrote:I think a lot of the people who defend public school actually hated it as kids, but seek to justify it in their minds by forcing it on the next generation. After all, why should you have things easier than they did? It's that type of twisted logic they use.
I think it's even simpler. They knew when they were in school that they were supposed to work hard, follow the stupid rules, bullshit a lot, &c. and wanted themselves to act like they knew they were supposed to. They keep trying to act right when they get older.
10-28-2007 10:44 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Thanks people, all I needed Smile
10-28-2007 02:52 PM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

roberterher Wrote:Well it sounded like you said teachers deserve respect because they're teachers, cause students weren't mentioned at all.
"teachers deserves respect" No they don't, if they treat everyone like crap.

I agree, they need a life. Seriously, we have to be in fucking school for SEVEN fucking hours (well I do). As if THAT isn't enough, those dumbass teachers (and that goes for ALL my teachers) give us homework. I have a life you know? I have stuff to do, I don't have time to do stupid work that teaches me NOTHING! That's why NO teacher deserves respect. And homework isn't even the only reason. There's hundreds more.
10-29-2007 01:41 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:That's why NO teacher deserves respect. And homework isn't even the only reason.

Maybe none of yours do, but they're not all that bad. There may even be *gasp* good teachers in the world. I've known a few.

Hidden stuff:
10-29-2007 02:01 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

My 9th grade english teacher, Brutha E, was one fly cat.
10-29-2007 02:22 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:That's why NO teacher deserves respect. And homework isn't even the only reason.

Maybe none of yours do, but they're not all that bad. There may even be *gasp* good teachers in the world. I've known a few.

Actually, I do have 2 of what would be considered "cool" teachers. They don't give as much homework and they let you go to the bathroom anytime and they let you sleep. But there are still things that make them non-respectable.
10-29-2007 09:10 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Only my wood shop teacher, but he's a shop teacher. Enough said.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
10-29-2007 09:24 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Quote:There may even be *gasp* good teachers in the world. I've known a few.

Yes, and one of them is my chemistry teacher. He actually tries to help people and barely gives any work. He is also a genius(not thinks he is. he really is) He knows the answer to ANY question you can ask(within reason)

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-29-2007 09:28 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

my shop teacher's also my driver ed teacher. say what you want about the guy, but he knows how to drive well and i've got no problem as long as he keeps me from dying on the highway. although, he's actually pretty cool.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
10-29-2007 09:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "You never go to school argument" xUnknownSoldazx 5 2,622 02-12-2017 01:27 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  The African Kids appreciate school argument (split) SoulRiser 23 8,528 03-03-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Anyone wanna hear my friends pro school argument thing? coffee 11 8,894 11-08-2013 08:31 PM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  An excellent argument against school-and that too by an adult Rule_BreakerXVIII 13 7,074 11-07-2013 11:38 PM
Last Post: Smudge
  School argument Cosbydaf 32 8,641 12-24-2011 01:22 PM
Last Post: Efs