RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
operation save democracy's ass
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
operation save democracy's ass

well, there's this big new special budget vote coming up called the "EXCEL" vote, which stands for "Expanding our Childrens' Education and Learning" (shoot me if i ever make an acronym like that) and it basically borrows money from the state for projects like "safety features" and "improvements." they gave us all little panphlets in homeroom today that reminded us to go home and tell our parents to vote yes. it had a little summary of the projects they want on the back, but most people said "it has nothing to do with me!" and tossed it aside. but i read it, and buried in the middle of lots of cheery, optimistic descriptions of new roofs, better stairs, and emergency windows was "install cameras and radios in the High School, including in remote areas of the school, to help ensure safety." i showed that to the kid who said it had nothing to do with him, and he was stunned. he told his friends, they told theirs, and after about a minute the whole room knew, and it spread. even when the kid's scripted speech on the announcements reminded us to tell our parents to vote yes, people were all talking about the cameras. later, i took the panphlet i got and circled the camera part, wrote VOTE NO! on it, and taped it up to the mirror in one of the most widely used bathrooms in the school. a few periods later i came back, and it was gone. but i saw the corner of it sticking our of the trash, so i pulled it our and put it back on the counter. it's obvious they intended to slip this in amid all the "good" safety stuff, so i tried to let as many people know as possible.
but the cameras weren't the only ominous thing in there. one kid thought it was to prevent drug deals, but that kid's an idiot. these people never look at the big picture or make connections. a few weeks ago they turned the main office into a fucking bank vault, now they're putting in cameras. and one of the safety reforms in the budget was "energy-saving emergency windows" on the middle school Hudson House floor (the school's divided into "houses.") well, Hudson's on the third floor of a very tall school. if there was a fire, using the doors would still be a better, safer way to leave. the only time i've heard of high-up emergency windows being used was at Virginia Tech.
this has nothing to do with drugs. slowly but surely, they're locking down the school to defend against a shooting. it's almost like they expect it to happen. there are even rumors about microphones and digital ID badges for all students. this is very scary stuff happening, and i'm afraid people aren't going to care until it's too late.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
10-27-2007 05:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

*gulp*

I would say its a bit of an overreaction.... but thast all happenign in a very short period of time....

But besides the camera, what there is bad for students (except the 'definite' school shooter)?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-27-2007 05:18 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

so far nothing huge, but that's the problem. they're going to sneak this stuff in, using the old "columbine will happen again if we don't!" excuse. first that main office stuff, but also there are more hall monitors, including one surrounded on three sides by a built-in cinderblock wall as part of the new construction. entrances are bigger and better lit, making it easier to see who's coming and leaving. and now cameras, and not just in the cafeteria and library. they specifically said "remote areas of the school." it's a slippery slope, and we're heading down in much too quickly for comfort.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
10-27-2007 05:23 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:so far nothing huge, but that's the problem. they're going to sneak this stuff in, using the old "columbine will happen again if we don't!" excuse. first that main office stuff,
that was stupid paranoia, but i fail to see how taht makes your day at school worse.
Rebelnerd Wrote:but also there are more hall monitors, including one surrounded on three sides by a built-in cinderblock wall as part of the new construction.
before i respond what exactly do your hall monitors do?
Rebelnerd Wrote:entrances are bigger and better lit, making it easier to see who's coming and leaving.
no matter how big an exit is you can still see who leaves from the inside, and in terms of the entrance being bigger, that has nothign to do w/ secirity.
Rebelnerd Wrote:and now cameras, and not just in the cafeteria and library. they specifically said "remote areas of the school."
I fail to see how cameras are bad to. Sure they can see what you do, but except for drugs what do kids do in school that could get them in trouble, that they don’t deserve to be punished for?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-27-2007 05:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Typical tactic to sneak something bad in with a bunch of "good" things... then again, I'm sure a lot of those people actually believe cameras do help keep people safe...

Quote:"energy-saving emergency windows"

I'm not sure what an energy-saving window even is. Windows use energy? Since when? Confused

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-27-2007 05:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

it probably means better insulation in the windows, so the heaters won't have to work as hard. and darthmat, even if this stuff isn't affecting the nitty-gritty aspects of daily student life yet (although hall monitors make it very hard to walk around the building), that's not really the point. i don't want them watching me all the time, and saying that cameras won't affect kids who aren't breaking rules sounds like the old "the only reason a citizen would protest this is if he had something to hide!" excuse for searches and wiretaps. it's the principle of it. the school is slowly turning into a prison, and nobody seems to care.

10-27-2007 05:51 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Oh i see.

10-27-2007 05:52 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

crap that sucks, oh btw, HI! my dad finally un-grounded me! any way, holy crap thats not funny, is it even leagle to put cameras all around? omg if our school did that it wud be the last straw, especialy cuz they always say how they have a low budget "thats why your washinton trip can only be one night" "thats why you dont have any art music or theatre programs" omg, also, last year our principal said they were putting camras in the bathroom, i think she ment it as a joke, but everyone believed it, it just goes to show you how bad our school is that everyone wud redily belive that...

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
10-28-2007 11:34 PM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Cameras all over the school? That's really messed up.

There are cameras at my school, but they are only at the entrances.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
10-29-2007 12:13 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

exactly. they do it slowly so nobody will care.

10-29-2007 05:42 AM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

If they put cameras in, smash them.

@silverfang1977
10-29-2007 07:20 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

we may not even be able to find them. they could be small CCTV cams, hidden in god knows where throughout the building.

10-29-2007 07:23 AM
Halla Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Probably in the urinals.
10-29-2007 10:31 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

i think that's illegal, but maybe they can see if we're hiding guns in our dicks. if they did, i'd piss right on the lens and laugh.

10-29-2007 10:35 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

WAH MICROPHONES! They tell me "Put this on you, so we can hear yous!" I'd say "Fuck that!"

But in all seriousness, don't let them go that far. Or camaras either. It's dumb.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
10-29-2007 12:49 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:i think that's illegal, but maybe they can see if we're hiding guns in our dicks. if they did, i'd piss right on the lens and laugh.

That would make some security homo very happy.

10-29-2007 09:05 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

AirMax Wrote:WAH MICROPHONES! They tell me "Put this on you, so we can hear yous!" I'd say "Fuck that!"

But in all seriousness, don't let them go that far. Or camaras either. It's dumb.

i think by microphones they mean those security things on the wall where if you think you're gonna get raped or shot or whatever you push the button and ask for help. that's fine with me, because you can decide when you want them to listen in. but they were very vague about it, so i'm still wary.

10-30-2007 04:43 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

omg thats just scary, ok yes putting camras in bathrooms is illeagle in america, they have them in singapore thoug, they have everything in singapore...ok anyway, cant you like, get one of those things that detects stuff like small camrs and stuff? hmm, maybe not, crap

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-03-2007 06:27 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

those are really expensive, and even if i did detect them, then what? pointing them out isn't going to make them go away. those detectors are made for counterintelligence work, they're not that much help when the whole world supports the cameras and won't take them down even if you painted big arrows pointing to them.

11-03-2007 06:44 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

George Orwell was right.
Say hello to the Thought Police.

woah dude
dude woah
11-03-2007 10:09 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Newtown Wrote:George Orwell was right.
Say hello to the Thought Police.

This is the interesting thing. I find a lot of before our time writings turn out to be quite correct more so than wrong. And people would do well to listen to the writings.
11-03-2007 10:14 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

they don't though. seriously, i was watching clips from the 1984 movie on youtube and i saw comments like "you people have no life, america is not a police state. you just want to feel like a cool rebel for comparing it to this movie. it's not like that in real life." yeah, real smart dude. you're right, america's not at the point yet. so let's all sit back and forget about it. we'll worry about that in thirty years or so when the thought police are right outside our door and it's too late. these people don't bother looking more than 5 minutes ahead.

11-03-2007 10:30 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

thats only one guy, and i think it has more to do with the person thatn the time they were alive, most problems have been going on all throughout history, maybe a little differant but still. yeah, the camra detector thing might not work, but if you did detect one, then find the camra and steal it, then plant it in like, the principals office of sumthing, that might be fun, aquiring the detector thingy wud be a bit of a problem though...does anyone know if radioshack sells highly sensitive FBI technology?

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-06-2007 11:03 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

this just in: a friend of mine working on the school newspaper has informed me that an article discussing student rights has just been pulled from pulbication by the principal himself. if i was a little less cynical i'd be pissed off, but this is hardly a surprise the way our school is heading. Rolleyes

11-07-2007 03:23 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:this just in: a friend of mine working on the school newspaper has informed me that an article discussing student rights has just been pulled from pulbication by the principal himself. if i was a little less cynical i'd be pissed off, but this is hardly a surprise the way our school is heading. Rolleyes

start a paper not sponsored by the school. They can't censor that.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
11-07-2007 03:26 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

thats what matt is doing (yeah i know matt, i'll send it in asap) but if you think your school paper is bad, i really think ours is probably worse, not only are we not allowed to put anything in it that might make the school look bad, but we can ONLY put things it that promote the schools ideas, or appeal to parents wanting to send their kids there. i mean, wtf! im editor and do you know how boring it is sifting through all those articles about "the latest fashion of uniforms" and "the top ten things you can do to prepare yourself for highschool"? omg, and then, to top it all off, the publishing company screwed up, so now the newspaper hasnt come in yet, its llike, weeks overdue, we're alredy into our next eason, the kids that are on "staff" barely give a hit about it (most) and no one ever gets it in on time, or sumtimes at all, and im stuck trying to fill up a page and a half with an article about uor stupid school elections, acually trying to make it sound exciting!!!!!!!!!!..... None oops, went off on a kinda rant there didnt i, sry! Biggrin anyway, its just another crappy thing to add to the list of "top ten crappy things bout school"...maybe we should put that in the newspaper....

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-08-2007 02:02 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Top ten rasons the schoolCENSORED

11-08-2007 10:26 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

lol, true dat Biggrin Mwahaha

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-09-2007 12:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are the youth capable of participating in a democracy? MurkScribe 35 13,289 01-28-2016 10:40 AM
Last Post: IronicallyNamelessUser9
  Operation: Anarcho-Biblioteca Sanjuro 20 3,892 05-29-2010 02:32 AM
Last Post: Squittle