RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Makes you feel like your not Smart
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
School Makes you feel like your not Smart

Does anyone else here feel as though school makes you feel not smart? I mean, sometimes I feel really good, like when I get a really good grade in a class I enjoy and am good at. And then there's a class I do VERY badly in, even when I try really hard I still barely pass. Teachers seem to look down at you when this happens. I'm terrible at Math, and I always feel uncomfortable in a Math class. I feel I never understand even if I listen. It hurts even more when a teacher says to a student who repeats a question already asked, "You should know this by now. Haven't you been listening?" or "Everybody should know this by now." I mean, have you had a time were you listen but still don't understand? When this happens, sometimes a lot for some people, or every now and then for others, you feel so stupid and worthless. The good mark you may have gotten in the last class doesn't matter anymore. You feel sad and embarrassed because you feel the teacher and the students in the classroom are looking down at you.

What I'm saying is, school can make you feel less intelligient. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Some people do well in English, some don't and do better in other subjects. No one can be good at everything. But sometimes don't you feel pressured to BE good at everything you do? Some parents will get upset and show you less respect if you don't do great in all your marks. You may feel as if a teacher doesn't have as much respect for you if you don't get top marking grade. Oh sure, you could be getting an 80% or higher in a certain subject, but if your failing another or struggling to pass, you are looked down upon. The school system seems to want everyone to be good at everything. I don't want to hear that BS they give about how, "Everyone learns differently, not everyone has to be good at everything," because it doesn't work that way in the school system even if a teacher will say so to make you feel better. To graduate High school, you have to get your credits, you have to do well. To get honour rolls you have to have an over 80% average in all your studies. (In my school, all four of your courses marks have to be an 80% average or higher) So what if a subject brings you down? Does that mean your not as SMART as they define as the kid who did great in all their subjects? That you didn't try as HARD? Why should smartness be determined by Tests, Exams, Homework, and assignments?

So someone might not do that well in school, but that doesn't mean their worthless to society, that their not pulling their weight, that their not trying, or that their lazy. School seems so restricted in what in teaches. For example, I'm an animal lover and I have considered in past doing a job with animals. But is their a class in school about animals? Not in my schools. My point is it's hard because if you don't have an interest in what they teach, but you have other skills in other areas, how do you show your capable of doing good things?

I think it's unfair. School can make you depressed, make you feel like an idiot when your FAR FROM IT. Smartness is NOT determined by how well you do in a stupid assignment or an exam. That's just how I feel. School seems to make it out that if you don't do well in every subject, you will get no were in life because no College/University would ever accept you, and you'd never be able to find a job since you didn't have..an 'education.'

Your thoughts?
11-02-2007 01:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Yeah, you're right, I always knew I was intelligent though, I failed in all the subjects so everybody was talking about my grades all the time Laugh.
Didn't bother me much, the only thing that pissed me off was the "think about the future" I heard it every day.
Too bad the work system has been destroyed because of the influence of the schools, I'm gonna be unemployed Uhoh

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
11-02-2007 06:01 PM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Couldn't agree with you more, right down to being bad at math
11-02-2007 10:42 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I felt like that. I was good with computers and wanted to focus on those, but people kept telling me I had to work on math, the subject I was worst at. The way I see it is, students shouldn't have to take subjects they're not interested in.

As for work and school, yes that's true. Schools were able to be influential enough to make it so diplomas and now degrees as required for just about every job, even McD's or pumping gas. You can't get anywhere without a diploma nowadays. It's like an educational monopoly.

@silverfang1977
11-02-2007 11:59 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

When I made a 64% on a Math test I just laughed. It's nothing to get all worked up about, I just play the grading system just right so I get all As on my report card, and it doesn't help that I am just a smart person. I know I am, I joined this site, and my vocabulary is higher than most people.

I could get an "F" and know I'm smart.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-03-2007 02:06 PM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

For what it's worth, I think you are being overly sensitive, Darkstripe. Perhaps there are teachers who get some kind of perverse satisfaction out of making you feel stupid, but that might be because they are threatened by how smart you are or the teacher isn't so smart him/herself. I would say it is a poor teacher who makes you feel stupid.

On the other hand, it's really lame that you should feel stupid because you don't already know what they are trying to teach you! I know when I was in high school I would challenge the teacher if he/she didn't know the material, or was on an ego trip.
I caught some hell from teachers who were insecure but I often won them over in the end because I would get the whole class going my way.

The point of school is to provide a safe environment to discover information and ideas that will contribute to your success in life. The goal of education is autonomy, not dependence!

Don't let them embarrass you or make you feel depressed. Show respect and beat them at their own game.

Suck it up, big guy.
11-03-2007 04:38 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Your post reminded me of something I wrote which says pretty much the same thing Smile

Quote:Perhaps there are teachers who get some kind of perverse satisfaction out of making you feel stupid, but that might be because they are threatened by how smart you are or the teacher isn't so smart him/herself. I would say it is a poor teacher who makes you feel stupid.

They don't do it on purpose. I'm sure most of them think that nagging about grades and making examples out of people is supposed to "encourage" students. They place more emphasis on competition than on real learning, which I can't really blame them for, because everyone else on the outside is always going bonkers over test results. It's everyone's fault, really.

Quote:Suck it up, big guy.

Don't. Rather just play along with their silly games while you do your best to be true to yourself.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-03-2007 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

It is not you arenot good at Math means that you arenot smart or open minded as they say,Some people are talented in diffrent ways and School miss to understand that
11-06-2007 06:04 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

If we had less motivational speakers talking about the horrors of drugs and more about this, than most people wouldn't feel like shit.
11-06-2007 06:42 AM
Faust Offline
Rebel

Did you ever read Dumbing us Down by Gatto? School isn't just making you feel inferior, it is actually making you stupid.

Pitiful that this could come to fruition and that most people think that school is about education.

Have you noticed that the majority of people with good marks don't really care for reading or any academic pursuits? I get B-s but always read and the people with A+s laugh because "reading is gay." They cannot imagine why someone would read for leisure.

I must concede that school is succeeding, though not at what we want it to.

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
11-07-2007 12:14 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

You don't need to care how the teachers look at you. After all why sould you care what a brainwashed nazi educationist thinks!

They have a right to thier own opinion but it is nothing more then an opinion (and brainwashed backward opinion at best)
You know yourself far better then they ever will Smile

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
11-08-2007 03:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What to do if school makes you depressed and/or suicidal SoulRiser 36 14,155 05-31-2017 10:22 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
Lightbulb What makes a person think school is good? Lucas Gallindo 6 2,025 08-22-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Are you smart enough?!?! Estebon Murcielago 5 1,768 02-21-2016 10:33 AM
Last Post: Estebon Murcielago
  school makes you feel dumb darkmind15 26 6,410 03-08-2014 01:44 AM
Last Post: darkmind15
  Are teachers are smart as society makes them out to be? ..V.. 10 1,741 03-16-2013 01:19 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  4 Ways High School Makes You Hate Reading Miller0700 11 5,976 02-11-2013 09:13 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  School Makes me want to kill myself mralexo333 10 17,805 02-08-2013 07:14 AM
Last Post: LiptomaticMate
  Doing bad in School makes you a failure in life? katakana 31 9,839 02-06-2013 07:47 AM
Last Post: upgarr
  If I had a dollar for every mistake the school system makes... HawkbitAlpha 1 1,993 01-31-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Kundalini
  They think im smart but.... fish20 12 6,027 11-08-2011 10:29 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser