RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids at my school, parents, other stuff.
happy fool called Nigel Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Kids at my school, parents, other stuff.

Kids at my school: The kids at my school have gone to school in my town their whole life and have been brainwashed to the extent that they are stupid, don't listen to people who use big words, and don't know what 'institution', 'defiance' or 'compulsory' mean. They also don't understand the concept of individuality. I am basically the only 'rebel' at my school and I have always been an individual. When the kids at my school ask me why I wear my hair the way I do or why I am 'weird', I don't really have a good answer because it's always been natural to me.

Parents and teachers: I notice that parents and teachers have a certain treatment for kids they don't like. It is a mixture of punishment, abuse, control and manipulation that they define and cover up with 'Educating you' 'Preparing you for life' and 'doing whats best for you'.

I will only be 'Thanking them once I'm older and understand what the world is about' if they are successful in they're brainwashing scheme. And they won't be. Wink

Advice? Thoughts? Praise? Criticism? Questions?

I'm open!

They in the sea being burnt, they in the burnt ship drowned.

[Image: nigelsmex.jpg]
11-03-2007 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Halla Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Halla Wrote:The most important thing to do is mentally drop out from school. School is the tool of the government to brainwash youth; mentally dropping out is the single most important thing to do.

But just because you decide to "fuck school", doesn't mean you should "fuck learning". Learning is essential, and schools kill curiosity. Bring curiosity back into your mind.

1) Brainstorm a list of everything and anything which might interest you, i.e. juggling, electronics, poetry, soccer, etc.

2) Through the Internet or a local library, read a little bit about every single subject on your list.

3) Put some money into better materials for the ones that interest you.

4) Learn.

Read about every subject, from underwater basket waving to rocket science. Find what you like and pursue it.

School still has resources which you should use. Many schools have A/V departments where you can rent out expensive equipment for free. The libraries, while generally shitty, might have books which you like. Check out the clubs at school; they might spark an interest in something you enjoy. Also, they usually don't have grade requirements, so administrators won't be able to kick you off the team if you have a subpar GPA.

It's an individual battle for the most part. If you see someone who has tendencies similar to yours, try to guide them towards the anarchist/libertarian point of view. You seem to want to take "action", but the evils of school and government will not fall apart drastically. They'll fall apart by people merely "dropping out". Government will not be destroyed with a bomb. Instead, it will slowly fade away as people cease to support it.

Quoting myself; it should help you.

Specifically for you: don't care as to what others think of your hair. But then again, don't wear it a certain way just to piss others off.

Even if they aren't successful, you need to counteract them by learning something anyway. Saying fuck school and then partying and smoking pot all weekend doesn't do anything.
11-03-2007 11:13 AM
Pariah

Thank you.

I actually kid of knew all of that all ready, and I was just informing others of my case. Still, thank you.

11-03-2007 12:12 PM
X Offline
Revolutionary

How do you wear your hair?
11-03-2007 01:18 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:I am basically the only 'rebel' at my school and I have always been an individual. When the kids at my school ask me why I wear my hair the way I do or why I am 'weird', I don't really have a good answer because it's always been natural to me.

That sounds like me Smile

Quote:I will only be 'Thanking them once I'm older and understand what the world is about' if they are successful in they're brainwashing scheme. And they won't be. Wink

I'm older now and I'm not thanking them Razz
Of course, they'd say I don't know what the world is about yet. Screw that, the world is what you make of it. You can do whatever you want to with your life, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy... Their version of "what the world is about" probably revolves around picking the easiest option, staying in one place and doing the same job for years. In that case, not having any big ideas of better things to do with your life will probably make life a lot easier for you, and may even result in gratitude. Uhoh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-03-2007 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheSovereign Offline
Rebel

Halla Wrote:try to guide them towards the anarchist point of view.

Dumbing down people won't help.

The Anarchist revolution is near! We will crush the evil government by drawing the Anarchy symbol on school desks, listening to alternative rock, watching Loose Change, and shouting:"Anarchy rules!!!".
11-07-2007 04:17 PM
Faust Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

TheSovereign Wrote:

You're right, the schools are already doing that job.

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
11-07-2007 09:59 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

TheSovereign Wrote:

halla Wrote:try to guide them towards the anarchist/libertarian point of view
And anarchy isn't dumbing people down, it's just a different way to think about the world.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-07-2007 10:04 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Your peers actually don't know what "institution", "defiance" and "compulsory" mean? That's sad.

I was like that in high school too. I dressed the way I wanted to dress and did as I pleased. Oh yes, they hated me for it. I just grew not to care. If you're an individual, the rest of the pack will always attack you and try to get you to conform.

@silverfang1977
11-08-2007 01:04 AM
Halla Offline
Renegade

TheSovereign Wrote:

Let me guess, you think anarchy is chaos.
11-08-2007 03:40 AM
Pariah

I wear my hair a few different ways. Mainly just

[Image: l_0a8f439aeb55fcafea9dbd0e6852667c.jpg]

or
[Image: 366474181_l.jpg]

12-10-2007 04:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School Miller0700 40 34,274 05-28-2017 12:44 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  My parents think im selling pills at school. L0KI 8 5,243 02-22-2017 01:19 AM
Last Post: L0KI
Bug Stuff about my school FrozenCowJuice 4 2,767 02-01-2017 02:48 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Important stuff school does not teach you. Michio-kun 17 7,952 01-30-2017 01:06 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Probably The School With The Worst Kids rainman7852 1 1,847 01-15-2017 07:57 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
  Parents wanting school to be demolished. DrGordonFreeman 4 3,841 01-14-2017 06:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Are you going to force your kids to go to school? UnschoolShqiponjë 50 16,142 01-08-2017 04:59 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  More brainwashed kids comment on skipping school. Elfy 34 15,901 01-03-2017 08:15 AM
  Is it OK that kids hate school? lisafromjackson 12 10,897 01-03-2017 08:11 AM
  The African Kids appreciate school argument (split) SoulRiser 23 8,487 03-03-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397