RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between a Musician, Performer and Singer
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
The difference between a Musician, Performer and Singer

A Musician, makes their own music, knows how to compose music and maybe even play it.
Eg- Green Day, Operation Ivy, U2, Sex Pistols.

Singer, a singer doesnt always write their own music, but they can sing, so they can get big by buying other peoples songs by being on a contract from a majoy label. Eg- Christina Aguleara (sp), Kylie Minogue ( i believe she doesnt write many of her songs, i heard she doesnt, this might not be a reliable source), and basically alot of people dont. Oh! Rhiannon, or is it Rhianna? I dont know, but i know that she didnt write the Umbrella song.

Performer, a performer is kinda like Paris Hilton, when she released that stupid 'Start are Blind' song, it was terrible, she cant sing, she didnt write that song, she can only sell her body to the media, and thats it. And the Pussycat Dolls, they are just terrible.

Please add to this and correct me, i wanna hear what you guys think of this too
11-06-2007 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodusername Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

to me performers arent always in music they can be for other things

Babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and dont forget the "violence"

" I think. I remember going to sleep that night and being disgusted at the feeling of my own heart beating. Let me see if I can find that site again."
11-06-2007 01:39 PM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

true that.....

although i was only using performer as a music industry thing to say that ever singers cant sing, and i call em performers.... if that makes sense?

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
11-06-2007 01:57 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I see no difference because it makes no difference to me.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-06-2007 02:42 PM
xxx-rage-against-life-xxx Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: The difference between a Musician, Performer and Singer

Vegemite Wrote:A Musician, makes their own music, knows how to compose music and maybe even play it.
Eg- Green Day, Operation Ivy, U2, Sex Pistols.

Singer, a singer doesnt always write their own music, but they can sing, so they can get big by buying other peoples songs by being on a contract from a majoy label. Eg- Christina Aguleara (sp), Kylie Minogue ( i believe she doesnt write many of her songs, i heard she doesnt, this might not be a reliable source), and basically alot of people dont. Oh! Rhiannon, or is it Rhianna? I dont know, but i know that she didnt write the Umbrella song.

Performer, a performer is kinda like Paris Hilton, when she released that stupid 'Start are Blind' song, it was terrible, she cant sing, she didnt write that song, she can only sell her body to the media, and thats it. And the Pussycat Dolls, they are just terrible.

Please add to this and correct me, i wanna hear what you guys think of this too

A musician can be anyone who composes or plays music.

A singer is a performer who sings

And to quote wikipedia on performers "Performing arts include the acrobatics, busking, comedy, dance, magic, music, opera, film, juggling, marching arts, such as brass bands, theatre, and circus arts"

Those definitions you gave are just opinionated bullshit.

Thanks again for my misery
And you run with fake friends
I'm sick of your sad songs and singalongs
I kind of like it when things are wrong.
[img:b6d537d382]http://www.xoospace.com/assets/img/spacer.gif[/img:b6d537d382]
11-06-2007 06:46 PM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

umm ... ok, the reason why i asked to be corrected was because i used my own opinion, so dont tell me what i already know.

and throughout the whole blog, i was assuming that everyone already knew that is was associated with music, and not drama, performing arts and others as such.

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
11-07-2007 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Musician help needed. gore goroth 11 3,980 11-22-2011 08:43 PM
Last Post: bisonlorg