RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21661718/?GT1=10547

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter.

The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

“I feel it is crazy,” said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: “Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

Parents urge change in policy
Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions
because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

“We don’t agree with it, but I certainly don’t want her to get in more trouble,” Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

“I’m just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn’t be punishing us for hugs,” Megan said.

----

WTF? I can't believe that!
11-08-2007 07:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faust Offline
Rebel

Just read this on Digg. Naturally, expressing affection will distract children from their indoctrination, and that is bad if the schools want our stupid cattle workforce intact.

What a disgrace.

Stupid Parents Wrote:“We don’t agree with it, but I certainly don’t want her to get in more trouble,” Coulter said.
Grow some balls, will you?

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
11-08-2007 07:31 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
Re: Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends

Darkstripe Wrote:brings discredit to the school

So it's only fair to hug the school and their mascot?
Grow some balls.
And some brains.

woah dude
dude woah
11-08-2007 08:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:“Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

They are saying this about affection. They're fucking insane. Cuckoo

I'm adding this article to the news section...

I can't believe the parents are only willing to go so far as to ask them to reword the policy...

You know what'd be cool? Everyone rebelling by hugging everyone in sight. That'd be awesome.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-08-2007 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gizoidthedestroyer Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

i hug lots of people (mostly girls) and getting detention for hugging?? utter retardation
Wtf
11-08-2007 08:07 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I go to a privater school and for one reason or another i put my hand on a girls shoulder, i think to anooy her or something, and got yelled at...... fuckers.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-08-2007 08:25 AM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Blame parental lawsuits for rules like this. "Johnny was sexually harassing my Susie. I'm gonna sue you!"

@silverfang1977
11-08-2007 08:26 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Laugh
Here's a pretty nice blog post about it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
11-08-2007 08:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pyrokinetic_Punker Offline
Revolutionary

something similar has happened to two of my friends who are dating. Once they were in the courtyard sort of place at lunch time and they were hugging each other and a teacher came up to them and pryed them apart and said "we'll have none of that here!" or something to that affect. I was actually kinda happy that they got yelled at 'cause I'm fucking sick of them always being all over each other but I still think it's unfair that you can't hug people. It's not in the school rule book or anything, it's only some teachers who get irked by it.

Another time in maths clas they were sitting next to each other and one of them kissed the other on the cheek and a teacher who had come in our class quickly to get something from the supply room full on shouted at my friend for pecking her boyfriend on the cheek. I think he said something like "That's disgusting! Stop being stupid and childish and grow up!". She started crying like a lot after that, again, I was happy someone put them in their place but it's still a bit harsh.
11-08-2007 04:08 PM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

wow, you know, i read that in our local paper today, about those two 13 year ols, it was in a Melbourne paper..

and i was like

"LOL! i read that on SS"

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
11-08-2007 06:40 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Well what do you expect. We have to wait till we are married to hug or we will have low chance for success.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-09-2007 02:08 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:We have to wait till we are married to hug or we will have low chance for success.

Laugh
Yeah, and then everyone will die really young due to lack of physical contact with another person.

Hidden stuff:
11-09-2007 03:24 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

New article on this topic here!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21690514/
There's a video you can watch on there to.

On three occasions, 13-year-old Megan Coulter threw her arm around the shoulder of a classmate. Just once, 12-year-old Madison Muir hugged a friend who had recently lost a parent.

For those acts, both girls were given detention by their middle schools for violating bans against public displays of affection.

WHAT? Even more stupid!!! She lost a parent to! So it's out of comfort to, that's not allowed?
11-09-2007 06:49 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:“I honestly think I shouldn’t be punished,” said Megan, speaking with her mother, Melissa Coulter, from their home in Muscoutah, Ill. “The hugs were nothing inappropriate. There weren’t bodies pressed up against one another. It was simply a one-armed hug across the shoulders — nothing bad.”

This is sad. It means the bastards are getting their "message" across that some forms of hugs are actually bad. Noo

Hidden stuff:
11-09-2007 08:45 AM
WelshRebel Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:This is sad. It means the bastards are getting their "message" across that some forms of hugs are actually bad. Noo

Very true, they have done these kind of things in the UK (Don't know if they reached the US media) I think its pretty petty, a hug isn't really going to distract you, surely they should be focusing on more important things? Like the teenagers that are getting pregnant!

Scott.
11-09-2007 09:02 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

My school doesn't care about hugging. I have hugged a friend right in front of one of the most strict teachers in the school and he didn't give a fuck.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
11-09-2007 09:10 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I have absolutely nothing to say about this. It has left me speechless.
11-10-2007 10:11 AM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Topic soundsfunny more than stupid
Didnot believe it till I red full text ,School is proving itself everyday as Stupid,Maybe ?
11-10-2007 10:46 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:“Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

They are saying this about affection. They're fucking insane. Cuckoo

I'm adding this article to the news section...

I can't believe the parents are only willing to go so far as to ask them to reword the policy...

You know what'd be cool? Everyone rebelling by hugging everyone in sight. That'd be awesome.

It just bothers me. The rule is so stupid! I have some friends who like to give a hug every now and then. I usually don't like giving hugs myself, more out of my shyness then rudeness, but I don't see what's wrong with a simple hug like that to express affection to a friend. What's wrong with that? Can't kids have any freedom in school?

LOL, yeah that would be great! Everyone hugging each other! That would drive them insane! They wouldn't know what to do!
11-11-2007 06:21 PM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

It just makes me sad to know that we live in a society that doesn't even allow kids to hug each other. Noo
11-11-2007 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  no hugging in my school jose 45 10,377 04-18-2010 12:13 PM
Last Post: arthasmenethil