RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So tell me about college...
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
So tell me about college...

Is it really any better than high school (at least in America)? I'm a high school senior in the United States, and I will be out of this hell hole in a few months. It seems the school is doing everything possible to piss off the seniors (taking away our lounge, punishing us for a stupid dress code-like wearing hooded sweatshirts, giving us shitty parking spots compared to the juniors and sophomores, making us take more pointless classes even though some of us only need 2 fucking classes to graduate!).

So, is university any better? I've gotten into some pretty decent schools, but I can't help but think it'll be another extended, artificial world where I'll have to hold off on being independent.
02-24-2011 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: So tell me about college...

^This.

Seriously.

I dread it.

Please tell me it's better.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-24-2011 01:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Somewhat better although you'll be throwing money into a hole pretty much.
Still college debt is easy to dodge so it doesn't really matter.

Its alot better than highschool where they treat you as a person instead of a cow.
Still its alot of boring ass hard work.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-24-2011 02:07 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

I will answer this later
02-24-2011 02:43 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I hate college. In high school I had time to do everything I wanted and crap out the assignments at the last minute and I only ever failed one class, but the teacher gave me a passing grade anyway. In college I have no time for anything and I hate every minute of every class and every minute I'm doing homework.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
02-24-2011 02:54 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I would say the biggest differences are....the teachers are more apathetic, and you have way more free time.

School is school...

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
02-24-2011 02:58 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Whether you can get college for free/cheap depends on your "demographics". My parents went to college and both have jobs, and I'm white, so I had to take out loans because NO, MY PARENTS DO NOT HAVE $50.000 SITTING AROUND. So now I'm $32.000 in debt and my mom is wondering how she's going to pay her bills in the summer (house, electricity, etc.) because she helped me pay for college, because the loans weren't even enough to cover it.

But it would be better if you go to community college. They're cheapie, and you can get an associate's degree. And then maybe get a bachelor's degree after that.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-24-2011 02:59 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Vatman Wrote:I would say the biggest differences are....the teachers are more apathetic, and you have way more free time.

School is school...
More free time in college? I don't.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-24-2011 03:00 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Fack.

Gotta do what you gotta do though. In order to become an officer in the army, become a cop, become an FBI agent, become a computer consultant, become a (employed) programmer, become a computer repairmen or anything else, you pretty much need college. And those are all the things I've considered.

Blog I post to now:

02-24-2011 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Well in high school I had six hours a day...five days a week of school...In college I have...maybe two hours a day, four days a week...of actual class

Thats an immense amount of extra time.

Also I don't do, and have never done busywork-esc homework on sheer principle...so there's that.

02-24-2011 03:03 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Fack.

Gotta do what you gotta do though. In order to become an officer in the army, become a cop, become an FBI agent, become a computer consultant, become a (employed) programmer, become a computer repairmen or anything else, you pretty much need college. And those are all the things I've considered.
Computer programming, you can do an associate's degree. At a community college. It's not guaranteed that the one near you will offer that degree, but you could move if necessary.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-24-2011 03:06 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

But classes in high school are just like, "haha i'm talking to my friends" and then you're done at 2:45 and you've got 7 hours to do whatever you want.

This semester, I have to go to school at 9:00 every day (m-th) and I don't get home till 8:00. I need two hours of sitting around before I can do homework. I get too sleepy to focus on shitty shit I don't care about at 10:00. So, I'm fucked. I end up scrambling to do the homework at school, right before class, sitting in some stupid uncomfortable desk. And I have sinus problems so being in class is even more torturous when I run out of toilet paper. I'm majoring in math, because a bunch of idiots lied to me and said a math degree would make me employable, so I'm in this senior seminar thing and I don't understand what's going on or what I'm supposed to do and the other people in the class so obviously do get it all, and this one bitch is totally condescending about it.

...yeah. You know that dipshit in your high school classes who acts all proud when he knows the answer to some asinine question the teacher probably meant as rhetorical? College is full of those people.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-24-2011 03:14 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Absent you only need to have a diploma or ged to become a pig I mean cop.

image hosting jpg
02-24-2011 03:17 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Highschool was endlessly waiting for the clock to get to that fateful position...while college seems like its more of a gentle breeze...I get to school at 7am or 9am...depending on the day...leave at 10am or 1pm depending on the day....and have the whole day ahead of me.

Maybe its because I go to a lowly state university...buuut my classes are pretty laid back, no one picks at one another...I feel like I have 20 hours a day aside from school unless its some crazy crunch time on papers or something...annnd since I'm a pansy liberal arts student, all my classes are just writing...which I do for a few hours a day anyway...

I'm not a fan of the social circles of college, or the curriculum, or the instant gratification mindset that comes with a degree and a lack of passionate learning...

But college if nothing else, is alot more freedom.

02-24-2011 03:23 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:^This.

Seriously.

I dread it.

Please tell me it's better.

It's not. The first two years of college are spend taking care of graduation requirements necessary for all degree programs. Now granted you have a variety of classes to choose from but you still have to take classes in a variety of subjects before you can go off and learn whatever it is you came to college to learn.

I don't know, maybe it's because I never had the patience for lectures, notes and essays; Or maybe it's because I went to community college. But it just felt like highschool all over again.

Or maybe I'm just embittered because the only places in CT that offer the degree I want (classical studies) are the expensive and overly selective private schools. FML
02-25-2011 02:13 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:Or maybe I'm just embittered because the only places in CT that offer the degree I want (classical studies) are the expensive and overly selective private schools. FML

So this is why you're bitter? Rolleyes

image hosting jpg
02-25-2011 02:47 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

About college? Yes.
02-25-2011 03:05 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

HeartofShadows Wrote:Absent you only need to have a diploma or ged to become a pig I mean cop.

I'm not really considering becoming one because i'd get fired for corruption, but I interviewed some cop in ninth grade and he said he had to have a college degree... Meh, probably because he just became a fed or something.

Blog I post to now:

02-25-2011 09:10 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:It's not. The first two years of college are spend taking care of graduation requirements necessary for all degree programs. Now granted you have a variety of classes to choose from but you still have to take classes in a variety of subjects before you can go off and learn whatever it is you came to college to learn.

I don't know, maybe it's because I never had the patience for lectures, notes and essays; Or maybe it's because I went to community college. But it just felt like highschool all over again.

Or maybe I'm just embittered because the only places in CT that offer the degree I want (classical studies) are the expensive and overly selective private schools. FML

Yeah, I figured getting through all of the required shit that i don't want to learn would be the worst part. Oh well, I'll try to get a minimal amount of classes.

Blog I post to now:

02-25-2011 09:14 AM
Hannah-chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

The English school system is a little different; instead of elementary/middle school/high school, college we have primary school (grades one to seven) then secondary school (Next two grades then freshman and sophomore year) then sixth form (Last two years of high school; optional) and university (college).

I'm currently in the last year of english high school, plan to study an extended practical music course for all of sixth form (instead of english, maths, science, it's music, music, music. FUCK YEAH) then Music and Teaching at university.

Good/bad idea?

BRITISH MEMBER

[Image: BritishFlag.jpg][Image: BritishFlag.jpg][Image: BritishFlag.jpg]
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:If I hear a plumber/construction worker/carpenter/whatever say "I'm a hard worker" and the make-up addled plastic bitch replies with "I'll bet that's not the only thing that's hard" ONE MORE TIME
02-25-2011 10:25 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Ayliana Wrote:Or maybe it's because I went to community college. But it just felt like highschool all over again.
That's weird because I thought community college was a thousand times better than "real" college. I'm starting to think it's just the luck of finding a good school.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-25-2011 12:12 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I'm not really considering becoming one because i'd get fired for corruption
I think I lost some respect for you with this and when you first mentioned you wanted to become a cop. Laugh

Hannah-chan Wrote:The English school system is a little different; instead of elementary/middle school/high school, college we have primary school (grades one to seven) then secondary school (Next two grades then freshman and sophomore year) then sixth form (Last two years of high school; optional) and university (college).

I'm currently in the last year of english high school, plan to study an extended practical music course for all of sixth form (instead of english, maths, science, it's music, music, music. FUCK YEAH) then Music and Teaching at university.

Good/bad idea?
Well, my parents and some other people say you'd die of hunger (at least in the US) if you study humanities/music, but bleh. You should be able to live off teaching, especially if you'd like it.
If that's what you like, then I guess it's a good idea.

[Image: glorious666.png]
02-25-2011 01:06 PM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Hannah-chan Wrote:The English school system is a little different; instead of elementary/middle school/high school, college we have primary school (grades one to seven) then secondary school (Next two grades then freshman and sophomore year) then sixth form (Last two years of high school; optional) and university (college).

Good/bad idea?

If you like teaching, then go for it. I don't know how well paid teachers are in England, though. In the States, their pay is pretty low, and we're only experiencing more cuts in education. Not that that would really affect the quality of schooling anyhow.

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Or maybe it's because I went to community college. But it just felt like highschool all over again.
That's weird because I thought community college was a thousand times better than "real" college. I'm starting to think it's just the luck of finding a good school.

I don't know much about the real difference between community colleges and "real" schools. I have friends in both places (in their 1st and 2nd years) that tell me that it's basically high school all over again, except that the teachers care less and they have shorter schedules. Maybe third year is different and actually productive...

I've been taking AP exams to get certain credits so I don't have to take basic classes, save money on hours, and save time. I don't want to spend more time in a classroom than absolutely necessary. Is this a good idea?
02-25-2011 01:31 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:I think I lost some respect for you with this and when you first mentioned you wanted to become a cop. Laugh

Lunatic he means that he would let people get away with things that cops would normally ride them for(drugs, speeding tickets, etc).

image hosting jpg
02-25-2011 01:39 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:
Lunatic Wrote:I think I lost some respect for you with this and when you first mentioned you wanted to become a cop. Laugh

Lunatic he means that he would let people get away with things that cops would normally ride them for(drugs, speeding tickets, etc).
Lol, then I take that back.

[Image: glorious666.png]
02-25-2011 01:52 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

genuine anarchist Wrote:I've been taking AP exams to get certain credits so I don't have to take basic classes, save money on hours, and save time. I don't want to spend more time in a classroom than absolutely necessary. Is this a good idea?
If you're definitely going to go to college, getting credits more cheaply is definitely a good idea. Test out of as many things as the college will let you. Take a 5th year of high school so as to do more AP classes and get more college classes out of the way for cheap.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

02-25-2011 03:29 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

I'll tell you why I think this happens. When you went to high school, it was your life, all your friends were from school and you basically had no life out of school. If you don't drop this attitude then life will always be the same. If you just go to class then back home to your basement then your life will always be depressingly boring.

I think I'm lucky I am not going to uni fresh out of high school, I bummed around for 1 year but at least I know there's a world outside of the educational institution you attend.

Seems to me that all the first year students that just came from school are acting like university is the next step in their linear boring life. I try not to think of it as a step in this linear life story, instead I am going to university because I want to due to many reasons.
02-25-2011 05:45 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

B-b-b-but where is one supposed to meet other people our age, if not in college?

inb4 clubbing

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
02-25-2011 07:34 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:

Lol, then I take that back.

Quite so. I guess "corruption" wasn't the right term...

Quote:Seems to me that all the first year students that just came from school are acting like university is the next step in their linear boring life. I try not to think of it as a step in this linear life story, instead I am going to university because I want to due to many reasons.
I've told my parents that I'm not going to go to college right away, and they told me that I was making a mistake. They said I wouldn't want to start college ever if I didn't go right away... Well fuck that... I'm taking a year off, maybe going on a road trip or something, then I'll go do my time in college so I can get the job I want. I'm not going to go directly from high-school to college and then directly to a job like every-body else. Like you said, that's linear and boring.

Blog I post to now:

02-26-2011 06:06 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Quote:I've told my parents that I'm not going to go to college right away, and they told me that I was making a mistake. They said I wouldn't want to start college ever if I didn't go right away... Well fuck that... I'm taking a year off, maybe going on a road trip or something, then I'll go do my time in college so I can get the job I want. I'm not going to go directly from high-school to college and then directly to a job like every-body else. Like you said, that's linear and boring.

I wish I could have done that. I was just sort of thrust into college with no direction. Parents were like "You're going to college" and I just started taking gen ed courses along with other electives. It took my a few years to finally decide my major, and as of now, I'm considering something else. Then again, it was probably because of the damn insurance policy that I had to go right to college with no experience or knowledge of what I wanted to do. And the fact that they were paying for it.

Anyway,

Good things about college
-You have a whole lot more freedom than in high school.
-You get to choose your classes and schedule.
-Less emphasis on rules and conformity, more actual learning.
-Better teachers (for the most part)
-Job opportunities. Many jobs require college degrees and even those which don't, employers seem to prefer those who do.

Bad shit
-It costs a shitload of money (though if your parents are paying for it, it's not as much of a factor)
-Gen ed. Depending on the college, you'll be taking a lot of gen ed, usually having nothing to do with what you want to major in. This can be extremely frustrating when you have to spend time learning things that you know you won't need later on.
-It can become boring, tedious, and stressful if you don't have a good instructor.

That's all I gotta say. Hope it helps some.
02-26-2011 07:35 AM