RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How easy would it be to just leave
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
How easy would it be to just leave

I'm in one of those moods today. I don't know it's because I never woke up fully or if I'm on a sugar crash, all I know is that I'm in a pissy angsty mood and I want to get the hell out of this town and state and time zone.

I just did a little research online. Hawai'i's unemployment rate is the 7th lowest in the nation, thanks to it's tourist industry, and the average rent is $500 less than CT.

I have a tax rebate coming in a few weeks for $1250. I have about $500 worth of debt to take care of, which I can take care of in a month. It costs $600 for the ticket, $300 for a months rent at a motel and another 150 each for a decent bike and prepaid phone.

I can wire money home to take care of my car once I find a job, which shouldn't be hard with spring and summer around the corner.

What do you guys think?
02-25-2011 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
Re: How easy would it be to just leave

Well, if you're sure you've got everything planned out and you'll have the money, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it, if that's what you want. Just make sure you do have everything planned out, or rather, anything important and money-related.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
02-25-2011 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:Well, if you're sure you've got everything planned out and you'll have the money, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it, if that's what you want. Just make sure you do have everything planned out, or rather, anything important and money-related.

Yeah, I'm working on that right now. If I budget correctly I should be able to leave by May.

Technically I shouldn't need to quit my job because all the other consultants work remotely from home. As long as I have a laptop and at a 3G phone I should be able to work from anywhere in the country and still pull $1200 from my administration job. I can earn an extra 1000 in tips at a resturaunt. 2200 a month is a good salary no matter where you are. Plus our pay cycle is a month behind so i would still be recieving money until June 1st even if I didn't keep my job.
02-25-2011 08:28 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Ayliana Wrote:Yeah, I'm working on that right now. If I budget correctly I should be able to leave by May.

Technically I shouldn't need to quit my job because all the other consultants work remotely from home. As long as I have a laptop and at a 3G phone I should be able to work from anywhere in the country and still pull $1200 from my administration job. I can earn an extra 1000 in tips at a resturaunt. 2200 a month is a good salary no matter where you are.
Wow, that sounds righteous and bitchin'. You must have a fair bit extra coin left over every month.

Out of curiosity, what's this administration job?

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
02-25-2011 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Yeah, I'm working on that right now. If I budget correctly I should be able to leave by May.

Technically I shouldn't need to quit my job because all the other consultants work remotely from home. As long as I have a laptop and at a 3G phone I should be able to work from anywhere in the country and still pull $1200 from my administration job. I can earn an extra 1000 in tips at a resturaunt. 2200 a month is a good salary no matter where you are.
Wow, that sounds righteous and bitchin'. You must have a fair bit extra coin left over every month.

It's secretarial work with an IT staffing company in town. I only work 25 hours a week, then I spend another 5-15 hours a week per diem at the nursing home.

It's good money, but it's not enough to live on in Connecticut.
02-25-2011 08:36 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Ayliana Wrote:
Leon Kinotolian Wrote:

It's secretarial work with an IT staffing company in town. I only work 25 hours a week, then I spend another 5-15 hours a week per diem at the nursing home.

It's good money, but it's not enough to live on in Connecticut.
Hence the restaurant job, I take it.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:

02-25-2011 09:03 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I agree with Leon.

Just go for what you want but make sure that your ass is covered and prepared so the worst doesn't happen.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-25-2011 11:37 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

If you can pay off your debt and have things planned out, then go for it. Also, if you ever feel you need more income besides working from home and in restaurants, you can always find another job in the tourism industry.
02-25-2011 01:43 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

I just refined my search on travelocity. $600 tickets are for round trips. One way only costs $400
02-26-2011 02:35 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I hear food, and like erry day groceries are pretty damn expensive because it's a tourist spot.
Also, lots of people live in tents.. could prolly do that.

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
02-26-2011 06:34 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

SuperiorDiplomat Wrote:Also, lots of people live in tents.. could prolly do that.

Yeah most of those are meth addicts and crack heads. I'm not living in a fucking tent.
02-26-2011 06:36 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

lulz eh I think it'd be pretty cool, I'm just a nature kinda guy though. Wish I had your life right about now, I would absolutely love to get away. Especially to Hawaii.

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
02-26-2011 06:39 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

lol I'm not there yet. I still have some major loose ends to tie up.
02-26-2011 07:01 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

I think this should be moved to blogs, because the more I think about this, the more I want to do it.
02-26-2011 07:46 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Your wish is my command. Biggrin

image hosting jpg
02-26-2011 10:16 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

HeartofShadows Wrote:Your wish is my command. Biggrin

Thanks HoS Smile

I just received my refund today. Combined with my weekly pay, I now have $1800 in the bank. That alone will pay for the trip.
02-27-2011 05:43 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

I just paid off the money I owe to my stepfather. That leaves a traffic ticket that I'm hoping to get reduced down to something reasonable, and an overdue gym payment for $100. My tuition from last year and my student loans are both accessable and payable online, so I can pay those off at any time.

Also I've stopped drinking red bull. At $4 a can 5 day's a week I spend as much as my mother and sister do on cigarettes. That's not cool.
03-01-2011 03:40 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

four dollars a can....shit...I need to up the price...I charge 1.05 for a can.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
03-01-2011 05:26 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

I bought the ticket. I leave May 3rd at 12:30 and should arrive in Honolulu by 9 pm.
03-03-2011 02:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Cool, I'll meet you there in TDU2. Laugh

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-03-2011 06:29 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

SoulRiser Wrote:Cool, I'll meet you there in TDU2. Laugh

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You want lulz, just wait until I try explaining to my famiy that I'm moving 5000 miles away from everything I've ever known with $1000 to my name and nothing but hope. They're going to go apeshit on me.
03-03-2011 06:49 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

It took me awhile, but I just found a listing of apartments in Honolulu for under $800 a month. One of them is only $625. I can do this guys. I can really pull this off.
03-03-2011 08:01 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Things are looking up for you, Ayliana. I'm happy.

As for your parents' reaction, I'm sure that'll be a shocker to them. Not that it matters; it's your life and money, not theirs.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:

03-06-2011 09:16 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:You want lulz, just wait until I try explaining to my famiy that I'm moving 5000 miles away from everything I've ever known with $1000 to my name and nothing but hope. They're going to go apeshit on me.
Ahhh, nothing like a good old fashioned apeshit parents episode. Those are always fun. Good luck with that. Salute

From what I've seen, Hawaii looks like a really nice place.

I hope that apartment isn't in some shitty area or something.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-07-2011 03:38 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

I told my mother of my plans, and of course she was less than thrilled. And everytime I kept asking her

I also told my manager, and he was less open to the idea of me working remotely than I'd expected, but he's still considering it. His main bitch is that if he wanted a remote administrator / recruiter he'd get one of his people from India to do it. None But at least he's still open to the idea.

No one knows that I've purchased the plane ticket yet. I'm going to save that for another week or so when I have more coin in my savings account. I've been working extra hours at the nursing home so I'm going to have about $500-$600 extra to bank.

I've been looking into apartments and I found two fully furnished studios with full amenities. One is for $750 and the other is for $900. The landlord of the $750 apartment already wants to send me a lease form. Banana
03-07-2011 05:29 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Wow damn I actually searched for this thread and forgot I moved it.

You got balls(I mean that in a strong female sort of way) going out like this on a way but I got kudo respect.

Its a bit inspiring to me as I'm trying to do some extreme stuff of my own and I wish you good luck.

image hosting jpg
03-07-2011 06:41 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Long update:

I sent the landlord my resume. He wants to know a little bit about me before he sends me the lease form. Which is reasonable. I'd want to know as much about a tenant as possible too if they contacted me online and claimed to be 5000 miles away.

I've also had a bit of an epiphany regarding my manager. I think he's more open to the idea of me being a remote employee than he's letting on, but he wants to make sure I'm properly trained for the task first. We've started recieving dozens of job postings from at least three different clients and he's finally started training me to be a recruiter for the company. Right now, I suck at it. I've only today managed to get two call backs, and submit one resume for review. But I think if I start getting better at this and show him that I'm serious about moving, and keeping my job at the same time, that he will agree to let me work remotely.

The only other thing I can report on right now is that my car is a pain in my ass. It's the main cause of most my monthly expenses, and this month I have to put two new tires on, get emissions done, renew my registration, and pay that damn ticket. That's almost $500 worth of expenses right there, on top of the $400 I spend regularly on gas, insurance and loan payments. That's not counting the 200+ it's going to cost to buff up the car, fix the side mirror and get it ready for resale.

I might actually have to hit up my parents for money because of this. Which isn't much of a problem, my stepfather loves loaning me money because I'm the only one who ever pays him back. It's just that I really didn't want to do that and I've never loaned more than $500 from him, and that took me three months to pay back.
03-09-2011 09:07 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

How old are you?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
03-09-2011 10:37 AM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

TheCancer Wrote:How old are you?
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember her saying 18 or 19 at some point. Could be wrong.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:

03-09-2011 11:11 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

If she's 18 then just go. What kind of adult is afraid to travel?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
03-09-2011 08:02 PM