RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antidepressants
Faust Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Antidepressants

My mom is contemplating putting me on antidepressants because though school makes me hate my life, she maintains that I will have to get used to it. Evidently, altering someone's brain chemistry is more acceptable than homeschooling. That's right, people want to put me on the happy pill and pretend things are just swell. 1984 called, it wants its logic back.

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
12-04-2007 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

While I agree pharmaceuticals are over-prescribed...I also have faith in their ability to work.

Mostly because if I go twelve hours without them I turn insanely emo and violent and self-destructive or ecstatic and manic and careless.

But medications have as much potential to make things worse as they do to make things better.

Let's do the time warp again!
12-04-2007 02:59 PM
X Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Wow this has made me realize
How school has turned me into a pyschaotic monster who wants to kill everyone in his school
If i told my parents this they will probably say that I need to go to church....

[Image: joker.jpg]
12-04-2007 04:43 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:My mom is contemplating putting me on antidepressants because though scho ol makes me hate my life, she maintains that I will have to get used to it. Evidently, altering someone's brain chemistry is more acceptable than homeschooling.

Yeah, that's right, life is supposed to be miserable. Stabhead

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Though she probably means well and all that. There are other alternatives besides homeschooling too, maybe she needs to read a bit about those.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-05-2007 04:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Re: Antidepressants

Faust Wrote:And please forgive the typos, I'm posting from a PSP.
Fixed them. Smile (LOL Ironic)

And about pills- psychologists should always be gone to first, then psychiatrists.

psychologists - will try to fix the problem.

psychiatrists- will try to cover it up.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
12-05-2007 07:14 AM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

They need to solve the problem, not cover it up.

I bottle up my feelings, the only way I feel better about a problem is if its solved. When I know I'll be dealing with the same problem for the next two and a half years, doing the same thing everyday, it kind of depresses me. I mostly get mad, or agitated, thinking about that makes me feeling HOPELESS. It takes a lot to make me feel hopeless. But I endure....

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
12-05-2007 07:29 AM
knightindarkland Offline
Renegade

Faust Wrote:My mom is contemplating putting me on antidepressants because though school makes me hate my life, she maintains that I will have to get used to it. Evidently, altering someone's brain chemistry is more acceptable than homeschooling. That's right, people want to put me on the happy pill and pretend things are just swell. 1984 called, it wants its logic back.

And please forgive the typos, I'm posting from a PSP.

that sucks. Laugh your mom has no idea what we have to go through

There was once a time when I enjoyed going to school. . . but those days ended many years ago. . .

School is Hell
12-05-2007 07:52 AM
knightindarkland Offline
Renegade

every day at school.

Yourock i always post stuff on ss through my psp. i'm posting on it right now!

There was once a time when I enjoyed going to school. . . but those days ended many years ago. . .

School is Hell
12-05-2007 07:54 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

darthmat, that's very wrong. I'm sure some psychiatrists try to cover up the problem, but the fact is that some people can't live without medication.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
12-05-2007 07:55 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

I know that Thunder, i should have clarified that, my bad.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
12-05-2007 08:12 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

darthmat Wrote:psychologists - will try to fix the problem.

psychiatrists- will try to cover it up.

Psychiatrists use a biomedical approach to solving mental problems. Psychologists can't do shit if your depressed because your brain isn't making enough of a certain chemical.
12-05-2007 09:30 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Depends.

If you are medically depressed, then the only thing a psychologist can do is talk it out.

But if you are just really down, then a psychologist can help.

12-05-2007 09:33 AM
Faust Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Of course, this is not a chemical problem, it is a problem of me being coerced into doing something I despise. I will not take medicine for holding the belief that school is a heartless institution. It is a well-founded belief and a question of ethics to me.

It is not like I am ritualistically cutting off my genitals as an offering to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'm not mad.

Were there a mental component to my depression I would take something, but I know that drugs are not the answer to a physical stimulus such as School.

And I would have to concede that sometimes, prescription drugs are necessary. But in my particular case, they are useless.

And thank you Darthmat for fixing my spacing errors.

The good die young, therefore I shall live forever.
12-05-2007 10:16 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Welcome. Biggrin

Tell your mom you are not nuts (although do you go to this site.. the insanity must have rubbed off... Nutter ) and tell her what you just posted above.

12-05-2007 10:29 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Faust Wrote:I'm not mad.

You're on this site. Of course you are.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
12-05-2007 10:46 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Laugh

But he meant mad like insane, not angry.

Although i guess that still rings true. Laugh

12-05-2007 11:36 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

darthmat Wrote:Depends.

If you are medically depressed, then the only thing a psychiatrist can do is talk it out.

But if you are just really down, then a therapist can help.

Fixed.

12-05-2007 03:10 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

what exactly do you mean by that?

12-05-2007 10:23 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Of course, this is not a chemical problem, it is a problem of me being coerced into doing something I despise. I will not take medicine for holding the belief that school is a heartless institution. It is a well-founded belief and a question of ethics to me.

It is not like I am ritualistically cutting off my genitals as an offering to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'm not mad.

Were there a mental component to my depression I would take something, but I know that drugs are not the answer to a physical stimulus such as School.

And I would have to concede that sometimes, prescription drugs are necessary. But in my particular case, they are useless.

You are obviously intelligent and can explain yourself quite well, so I think you should tell your mother all of this. Or write it to her in a letter if that's easier.

Both psychiatrists and psychologists can talk and prescribe drugs, but psychiatrists are more focused on the drugs (and disorders), while psychologists are more focused on the talking and "normal" problems. At least I think so. I wondered about that for a long time Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-06-2007 01:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Wait...that was false.

I don't know, you put psychologist in both spaces and I assumed you were differentiating between therapist approaches and psychiatrist aproaches, but it seems you didn't mention a psychiatrist approach at all...

Silly me.

12-06-2007 04:34 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Wait.. i was right and HS was wrong??! It's a miracle!! Laugh

12-06-2007 09:18 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Psychologist is just sort of a general term as I understand it. Anyone who has their profession in the psychology field seems like a psychologist to me. Medication, or not.

12-06-2007 11:50 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Psychologist's can not prescribe medication, and must have a P.H.D.

Anything less is a Social Worker. (not including in the people who can prescribe)

12-06-2007 12:24 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

when people get depressed it's not a chemical problem so why the hell do people believe this shit
that antidepressants will work.society is becoming really sad and that shows you how gullible and stupid
society is.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
12-06-2007 01:56 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Avenger Wrote:when people get depressed it's not a chemical problem so why the hell do people believe this shit
that antidepressants will work.

Because sometimes it is a chemical problem.

12-06-2007 01:57 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Happy Camper Wrote:
Avenger Wrote:when people get depressed it's not a chemical problem so why the hell do people believe this shit
that antidepressants will work.

Because sometimes it is a chemical problem.

most of the time i doubt it is i think most of the time it's because the way everything is that gets people depressed

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
12-06-2007 01:59 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Really one of the defining (and most sucky) things about clinical depression is that you don't really have any trauma or pain to blame your problems all. You just feel like hopeless shit for no apparent reason.

Now unless you want to go Freud on our ass and insist depression always has subconscious roots that sensibly explain the emotion and behavior...

...unfinished sentence.

12-06-2007 03:05 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Laugh start any thread that somehow relates to depression, or drugs that deal with depression and bigwolf and happy camper will swarm all over it like flies to shit.
12-06-2007 08:10 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Laugh

But before people go on the pills, they should at least try to work out their problems.

12-06-2007 10:06 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

darthmat Wrote:Laugh

But before people go on the pills, they should at least try to work out their problems.
definitely

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
12-06-2007 10:50 PM