RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk like people
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Walk like people

Got this on a mailing list. There are question marks in places there shouldn't be, dunno why they're there though.

Quote:A story told by Laura Stine to the local school board which had voted to close down Blue Mountain Charter School (http://www.bluemountainschool.com):

Picking up my story in Baltimore Maryland in a 4th -5th grade classroom I took over in January, 1961, I counted on the children to help me find the ropes. The kids were interested in where I had come from. We talked about how far it was from Baltimore on one coast to Long Beach on the other. We had conversations about why I pronounced our nation�s capital Waaashington, DC while they said Waarshington, DC.

The kids enjoyed those conversations, as did I. One time after we knew each other better, I said something about how everybody here has to walk around in lines. They answered, �Of course, don�tcha know that�s the way it�s supposed to be.� �Why do you think that�s so?� I asked. �Well, of course, kids would be bad.� �Bad? Bad? That�s puzzling, we didn�t walk around in lines in Long Beach and the kids weren�t bad.�

A few days later, someone asked �How did the kids walk?� How did the kids walk? I repeated. I drew a diagram of the school and marked little dashes for footsteps from the baseball diamond past the main building, between the bungalows to my classroom in the rear of the property. That didn�t satisfy them. �No, how do they walk?� How do they walk? I looked at the diagram and finally said, �I don�t know. They walked like people. You know, like when you walk somewhere with your family and friends. You don�t walk in a line, you walk like people.�

Then one day when we were getting ready to go down the hill to the baseball diamond to play a kickball game, a little girl asked, �Could we walk like people on our way back to the classroom?� I said, �Sure, why not.�

I signaled when it was time to go back after the game and the kids went berserk. Some of the little boys ran up the hill in a dash, into the building, down the hall, and into the classroom before I had even gotten up the hill. When I got there and they had settled down, I said, �Wow, you were right. That didn�t work so good.� We resumed our studies and kept walking in lines.

Then the following week the same little girl asked, �Could we try walking like people again?� �Well, you guys aren�t the only one who can get in trouble with the principal,� I said. She didn�t give up. She had decided that the problem was that the boys had made it into a race and had gotten too excited and made too much noise. Then everyone got involved and tried to figure out how they could do it differently. Someone said, �Okay, everybody just walk up the hill.� �There�s no one else out there but us, who cares if the boys run up and down the hill while I walk up the hill,� I said. �Well, that�s true.� Then from the back of the room, �How about we stop at the outside door and walk quietly down the hall?� That�s what we did and it worked well.

Then one day someone asked, �Can we walk like people down to the field?� �Sure, why not?� Then another day when it was time to line up to go to the bathrooms, someone asked, �Can we walk like people?� That took some thought, but we worked it out and never again walked in lines to the bathroom. By the end of the year the whole end of our building walked like people.

To bring this up do date, I recently noticed an adult and a group of students on the school field near my house and thought of my Baltimore kids. Four little boys were running around with hula hoops. The rest of the students were already lined up in the middle of the field, a good distance from the building. No other students or teachers were in sight.

The group started off toward the building, the adult at the front of the line, the four little boys still running around at the back of the line. The adult stopped and went back and spoke to the boys three different times before they got to the door of the building and went in.

Forty-six years my story spans and we take the position that it�s inappropriate in a democracy to train children, future citizens, to learn to obey directives that have no reason to be obeyed. School children are not soldiers or inmates; we think they ought to be able to walk like people.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-13-2007 02:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

you would think this would go without saying eh? but, no, the people who run schools and work need to be told to chill out. life, doesn't have to be structured and 'lined up' all the time.
12-13-2007 05:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Thats a good story. Walking like people, not some robots.
12-13-2007 04:28 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I used to hate walking in line because some little dipshit behind me would always kick at my feet and try to trip me up.

@silverfang1977
12-14-2007 08:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can't walk, still have to go to school Dead 3 2,092 04-25-2013 08:10 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397