RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
evolution OR creation?
wyldstryke Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
evolution OR creation?

i was reading the 'Irrelevancy' forum and i came up with this question:

Creation or evolution. Why does it have to be or?

Nature created neither servants nor masters. I want neither to rule, or be ruled.
12-26-2007 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: evolution OR creation?

wyldstryke Wrote:i was reading the 'Irrelevancy' forum and i came up with this question:

Creation or evolution. Why does it have to be or?
what do you mean

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
12-26-2007 02:44 PM
wyldstryke Offline
Revolutionary

well, why cant the theories of creation and evolution both be true?

Nature created neither servants nor masters. I want neither to rule, or be ruled.
12-26-2007 02:47 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

wyldstryke Wrote:well, why cant the theories of creation and evolution both be true?
there is something like that it's called intelligent design.basiclly it says there was an intelligent designer
i'm not for sure,but i think by intelligent designer it means there was some one with either technology
or powers(as in like the powers that god,allah,yaweh or any other god has)that started evolution
as in laying out the pieces of the puzzle,and then either they let evolution take it's course or they helped evolution
along.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
12-26-2007 02:55 PM
wyldstryke Offline
Revolutionary

right. thats seems more logical then an either/or arguement. sortof like a god created monkeys, and then placed them somewhere that, in order to continue to existing, they had to adapt to whatever needed adapting to.

12-26-2007 03:09 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

It has to be either/or because, if we're talking about teaching it in school, because only one is scientifically backed.
We have no evidence that says god created monkeys and we evolved.
Not to mention both of those ideas are complete theories.
"God created us"
"We evolved from these primates and they evolved from these and they evolved from these"
12-26-2007 03:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I always saw it like this:

God spontaneously created the very first cell from nothing.

Then oversaw the evolution of things, occasionally causing extinction when he wanted to "start over".

Hence, God created everything, but evolution is correct too.

I'm not really much of a Christian anymore, but that's what I thought made the most sense.
12-26-2007 05:02 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

When an artist makes a painting they might first make a sketch then a background then whatever i don't know i have never painted. My point is what if god was like an artist and the first cell was like a canvass and evolution was his paint brush?

Buy yea i totally agree with wildstryke no it doesn't have to be "or" these religious nuts should learn that it can be "and" creation AND evolution.
12-26-2007 10:06 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:It has to be either/or because, if we're talking about teaching it in school, because only one is scientifically backed.

Not everything in school is scientifically backed anyway, so why not include other unproven theories?

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, it was likely some combination of both. I mean, evolution explained how things evolved, but it didn't explain how that original thing got there so that they had something to evolve from in the first place.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-26-2007 11:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Then where did god come from?
Yes, let's answer a difficult question with an impossible answer, brilliant.
So all powerful gods can pop into existance without a creator, but a single cell can't?
I find that a bit hard to swallow.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
12-27-2007 01:35 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i say evolution, the idea that there is a onimpotent being watching us is impossable for one,because something has to be ether energy or matter, and there has nether been energy or matter so far proving the ezistent's of god, also if you look at certan people you see chimp like features to there faces/bodys( my relatives lol), same witht here habbits of screaming, i mean jsut watch a little kid in a toy store then watch a chimp freak out. but those are the weak facts i use to win a debate over a creatonist. it all boils down to intelegence fo the people. if you think that evry gap in evoloutin needs to be filled in by "god' then you are dim, evolution is the only therory backed by science to date( at least to my knowlage, may be wrong) and it should be tought as fact,creation shoudl be tought in phlisophy class, not science class. many people say "well in the bible it says this and that seems to sound like this" i e circle of the earth ect, but those are verry loose, and dont forget that the bible is written by people who thought the earth was flat. Smile

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
12-27-2007 08:03 AM
Unregistered

We know that evolution happens. We know that going back in our biological history would result in one original lifeform. But we don't know how that lifeform was created. We know that certain chemicals combine to create amino acids thus proteins. But we don't know how the proteins got into the very unlikely arrangement of a blob of stuff that could clone itself and take in nutrients from the environment. If I believed in the Abrahamic God that created the Earth, I would say that it is more likely that God created that blob rather than it spontaneously appeared. But since I don't believe in that particular God, I'm stuck with very low odds.

Bear in mind that low odds do not equal "cannot happen". Due to the size and variation of the universe, chances are that such an arrangement of proteins would happen somewhere.
01-01-2008 06:43 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I read an article once about some scientists making these gooey,plasma like, semi-organic blob things that could make simple comunications with electricity and absorb nutrients, not unlike a primitive ameoba.
They think that with a little luck these could be created en mass in the eletrical storms during a planets formation.
it was something like that.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
01-02-2008 09:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:Not everything in school is scientifically backed anyway, so why not include other unproven theories?
Umm... maybe not in your schools. I'm very happy to come from a school system that is completely anti-book banning/censoring and anti-abstinance only education. (My point being they're very liberal and nazi about having all the correct information in their schools)
01-03-2008 04:52 PM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Me? I don't GIVE A FUCK about creationism or evolution. It's called "No one gives a damn about how you were created, because either fucking way, you were created, because that's that."
01-03-2008 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Lots of things come from studying the past. For one it's interesting, and two we can accomplish a shit load of biological things if we know our evolutional history. Like.... firguring out a cure for AIDS? (Example: The bubonic plague and HIV are similair because when the body sends white blood cells to attack it, it takes them as a host, and then completely fucks the immune system from there. And then there were lots of people that didn't get infected with the bubonic plague even thought whole households we locked away if one member had the severely contagious disease. And also lots of people got the virus and then recovered. So if we take 1 + 1 and figure out the answer we could have a cure for new modern disasterous disease)

Ok I'm done.
01-03-2008 05:57 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

All the biological stuff inside us is still the same no matter how we originated though. I think it'd be easier to study that than somehow manage to prove once and for all where we came from.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-04-2008 02:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Just a note on human evolution. AWOL 15 2,178 11-09-2010 04:46 PM
Last Post: SuperiorDiplomat
  My epic creation... Elfy 30 3,560 02-20-2010 01:11 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  school,evolution,brainwashing jose 21 2,918 01-18-2010 01:10 AM
Last Post: Loxor
  Evolution of my neighborhood Milk2Go 10 1,901 04-07-2009 08:24 AM
Last Post: Fire Elf
  Texas school board set to vote on challenge to evolution Gaiyara 1 1,233 03-24-2009 02:11 AM
Last Post: Vatman
  Death of Evolution Theory ~Mystery~ 16 3,883 02-14-2009 08:20 PM
Last Post: Faby
  Creation Museum...how much dumber can fundies get? Rebelnerd 23 3,431 06-12-2007 06:29 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Evolution of a schoolboy... (warning: explicit language) North 0 953 03-29-2006 02:14 AM
Last Post: North
  Evolution of a schoolteacher... North 0 955 03-29-2006 02:08 AM
Last Post: North