RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am against abortion
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Why I am against abortion

Revise: I'm against abortion, for killing babies.
12-30-2007 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

hm, itneresting, but anythign in democrecy and be used to get support, wether the electee is a scumbag or not, im pro abortion,keeps pop down till we can find a food source to feed whole world, supply's stem cells, but i think it should be regulated better than it is,to use them in the stage while there are still stem cells in it,jsut because its heart beats dosent mean its capable of the usua; human thoughts. but when people used faith baist legisation is pisses me off, seperation of curch and state peple.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
12-30-2007 04:46 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Quite right, old chap.
12-30-2007 04:51 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

therenagadeoffunk Wrote:hm, itneresting, but anythign in democrecy and be used to get support, wether the electee is a scumbag or not, im pro abortion,keeps pop down till we can find a food source to feed whole world, supply's stem cells, but i think it should be regulated better than it is,to use them in the stage while there are still stem cells in it,jsut because its heart beats dosent mean its capable of the usua; human thoughts. but when people used faith baist legisation is pisses me off, seperation of curch and state peple.

Unfortunately this is the propoganda they want you to believe. In 1968, it was predicted there would be world famine, but with genetic engineering Norman Borlaug managed to save 1, more than likely 2 billion lives through his study of genetic engineering. We can feed people. In fact, where there seems to be the most trouble with feeding people is in areas with the lowest population densities, not the highest.

As far as resources go, technology will continue to allow us to expand. The biggest threat to our safety is us, not "depleting" resources.
12-30-2007 05:34 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

hm, wel congrats on not bowing down to dogma

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
12-30-2007 05:35 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

What's wrong with eugenics?
12-31-2007 04:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Kirby Wrote:What's wrong with eugenics?

Theres nothing wrong with eugenics in theory...obviously its a word too associated with Hitler though, so I used that point to my advantage.
01-02-2008 04:38 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

In other words, it's a red herring.
01-02-2008 06:46 AM
Quote this message in a reply
.xstrike-anywherex. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 21 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

It is the mother's choice. Not the government . And usually for different reasons than eugenics.

But that also raises a question. If eugenics were done without government force, is it necessarily immoral?

Step into my twisted reality

[Image: churchsign.jpg]
01-05-2008 06:32 AM
Revolutionary

Captain Ahab Wrote:
Kirby Wrote:What's wrong with eugenics?

Theres nothing wrong with eugenics in theory...obviously its a word too associated with Hitler though, so I used that point to my advantage.

Well just because certain fascists have an ideology doesn't mean we should automatically associate the ideology with evil. Hitler was also against smoking. Should we all just light up because of that?

01-05-2008 06:33 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

.xstrike-anywherex. Wrote:It is the mother's choice. Not the government . And usually for different reasons than eugenics.

But that also raises a question. If eugenics were done without government force, is it necessarily immoral?

Yeah, the choice of the mother, not the child. They might not be thinking of getting an abortion because they know the benefits to the evil economy ran by countries not unlike America. Do people who in the past have shown support for totalitarianism go with the intention of benefitting an evil leader? Usually not, but in the long run, its not a good idea.

I would still argue that it doesn't match correctly with the idea of liberty. Again, I don't believe in laws. Murder laws do more harm than good, but at the same time, there does need to be some minimal agreement as to the idea of what is productive and what is counterproductive, at least at a local level, and murder is one of them. Now, if you ask me, taking a pill when the condom busts to make sure you don't have a kid isn't wrong. But there is a cut off point where unborn children should be entitled certain liberties, one of them being their life.

But since I'm crossing the morality line, yes, it's immoral to kill somebody. I think local communities can make democratic agreements regarding how murder should be handled, and that includes if they want to maintain the lack of criminalization on certain degrees of killing. As much of a nihilist (and complete contradiction) I am, I would hope that locally liberty is defended in its utmost, and if you do the math, theres far more potential liberty when you take into account potential life, especially potential life which may shortly be born.
01-06-2008 04:40 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

i'm for abortions because their are teens who are not ready for child and if the child is given up for adoption
it can have a bad life,and it would suck when the child learned who it's real parents were and how it was born.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
01-06-2008 04:51 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Good point. I've got no idea on whever I should support it or not. Though it does stop a few kids from having a crappy life in being adopted, that drunk teen should have been more careful.
01-07-2008 02:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I read about this survey once where they asked a lot of kids in an orphanage whether or not they are glad they were born. Apparently, they all said "yes". Even if the beginning of their life might not be so great, they still have their whole life ahead of them to do whatever they want.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-07-2008 03:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Here's the thing- orphanages are usually cruel places where people don't give a shit about the kids unless one does something that makes them look bad. In such, the kids who get away with bullying the others might be glad to be alive, but the kids being bullied are probably only saying "yes" because they'll be beaten and abused.
01-07-2008 04:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Good point. I've never been to an actual orphanage. That does not sound good Noo

Still, even after being treated like shit for most of your childhood (been there, done that), there's still life beyond it (if you manage to recover from it... that's the hard part).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-07-2008 05:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

I know someone who is called Orphan(only a few people are allowed to call him that). He told me about the things in the orphanage he saw- people getting beaten, toys being broken, and those "guardians" that are always right around the corner ready to beat the shit out of them in the smallest accident. He saw children slip into mental breakdown, he saw children attempt murder, only to be beaten. He saw children attempt suicide, survive and be sent to mental institutions. He saw these things every day until the very day he himself was adopted.
01-07-2008 07:42 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I seriously don't hope ALL orphanages are like that.... Uhoh

Hidden stuff:
01-08-2008 02:29 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Good point. I've never been to an actual orphanage.

I read that as being 'anal orphanage' Noo
01-08-2008 07:59 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Here's the thing- orphanages are usually cruel places where people don't give a shit about the kids unless one does something that makes them look bad. In such, the kids who get away with bullying the others might be glad to be alive, but the kids being bullied are probably only saying "yes" because they'll be beaten and abused.
How does this justify killing?

You try to paint it as if all orphanages are that way. In many undeveloped countries, unfortunately, it is the case. Economic solutions in which freedom is increased are far more important in increasing the quality of orphanges than abortion or otherwise is.
01-08-2008 01:27 PM
Fanatic

Would you prefer your child dying before it lived so it didn't have to experience death, or would you like it to live and be tortured in these so-called nurturing environments.

Yeah, abortion is my choice. I wouldn't be able to bare the thought of my child in an environment like that.
01-08-2008 01:48 PM
undergroundrevolutionary Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

but in many cases abortion saves a lot of pain for the mother father and child. it should be up to the mother ultimately.

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
01-11-2008 02:37 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

It seems to me that a lot of people here are

BABY MURDERERS
01-11-2008 07:37 PM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Umm, orphanages may be horrible, but my understanding is that new borns are in pretty high demand right now. The kids that end up in orphanages are the ones that their parents either died or gave up on them once they were no longer infants. (In my understanding, mind you)

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will
these are the isolate, slow faults
that kill, that kill, that kill

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-11-2008 08:12 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:It seems to me that a lot of people here are

BABY MURDERERS

I think you mean Fetus Murderers.
01-11-2008 10:11 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:

BABY MURDERERS

I guess you're right.

FETUS MURDERERS
01-12-2008 12:18 AM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Just cause it's a fetus doesn't mean it's not murder. It sort of depends on how you define murder.. And it's very sad that there are different opinions on what constitutes murder.

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will
these are the isolate, slow faults
that kill, that kill, that kill

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-12-2008 08:21 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

BABY MURDERERS

I guess you're right.

FETUS MURDERERS

Is breathing hurting your children? What can we do against the growing threat of infant terrorism? Tune into Fox at 9...
01-12-2008 08:37 AM
Revolutionary

amizon Wrote:Just cause it's a fetus doesn't mean it's not murder. It sort of depends on how you define murder.. And it's very sad that there are different opinions on what constitutes murder.

I think it's murder when animals are victims of vivisection, yet some don't agree. Even something like murder is a matter of point of view, you cna't apply a universal standard.

01-13-2008 10:27 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Captain Ahab Wrote:But there is a cut off point where unborn children should be entitled certain liberties, one of them being their life.

I agree.
i'm pro-life because I think a fetus IS a baby, a human being that deserves to live. And if that isn't the case, can someone tell me WHEN the fetus becomes a person? If the baby's due the next day, does it count as a person? what about a 7 month fetus? 5 months? 2 month old? I think there is a very thin, or maybe nonexistent, line here. How do you define person?

many of you argue that if the baby is adopted instead, it might live a horrid life. The thing is, a lot of people in this world live hard lives anyways. Should we kill them? often, these people get depressed and try to kill themselves. But I would tell these people that they cant give up on life, even if no one likes them and they have nothing to live for. What they DO have is potential. maybe if they keep living they will cure cancer, or help end world hunger (yes, you could argue they might become the next Hitler too, but still...). The point is, if i wouldn't let someone commit suicide, no matter how hard their circumstances, I wouldn't let someone take another's life for the same reasons. That fetus has a lot of potential and should be allowed to develop that potential.

i know a lot of you will disagree with me, but that's ok too. Everyone's got their own opinion, and this is mine.
01-17-2008 05:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's talk about abortion Sunbourn 54 25,849 06-19-2017 01:53 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Stance on Abortion Subb 47 13,522 05-30-2014 12:29 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  This is Why Abortion Should be Legal. Night 52 18,257 04-06-2013 05:09 AM
Last Post: thewake
  is it moral for women to have the right to abortion? Potato 60 18,434 11-29-2012 03:10 PM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Ramble about abortion. Prince Rilian 16 11,749 02-11-2012 09:04 AM
Last Post: avrillavigne12251
  The Only Moral Abortion is my Abortion aaaaaaasd 14 7,420 10-13-2011 04:36 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Abortion Thoughts Guest 152 20,801 06-09-2011 08:55 AM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Abortion SethyDavidG 40 7,805 12-03-2009 04:56 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Doesn't Christianity Encourage suicide and abortion? True Strasserist 7 4,155 03-20-2009 05:41 AM
Last Post: True Strasserist
  Abortion is sick sonoftheking 17 5,476 09-28-2008 09:31 AM
Last Post: mudkip liek