RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am against abortion
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

This is one of the very few topics I am not 100% on.

But I am pro-choice.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-17-2008 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Even something like murder is a matter of point of view, you cna't apply a universal standard.

Well, if you can give me an example of when murder is ever right... then you can say that again Razz
"murder", as in, premeditated killing of a person.
I can understand that some people being dead would have positive results for a lot of other people in the world, but that still doesn't mean it's right to kill them... even if everyone's happy when they're dead. Sort of like "wrong but necessary"... sometimes.

Which is similar in the case of abortion... sometimes. If you don't want a baby, just don't friggin get pregnant. Now, if it happens by some freak accident, like rape, or 3 different contraceptives all failing on you at the same time, then you have a case. In most other cases I won't have a whole lot of sympathy though.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-18-2008 12:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chaotic_Punk Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: Why I am against abortion

I don't believe in abortions, but sometime's there is circumstances that are too horrible to mention and to deal with. Say a young woman, went out ona saturday night, got completely wasted and ended up pregnant.

She did the crime and now can do the time

Say a woman is walking back from her work, on the way home she is grabbed and raped. She too becomes pregnant.

That is when I think abortions should be considered, if there is no chance of survival for the baby or the mother due to health reasons. Somehow, I doubt any rape victim could keep the baby but there is some that do. It takes guts.

School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect. Nobody’s perfect so why practice?
02-14-2008 05:11 AM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

ive thought about this a little. And ive come up with a fe solutions. I am both. You seee, if i was a victim of rape, and i were pregnant, i dont think that i would be able to live with that in my life, and not for my sake, for the childs sake, what kind of mother would i be? i would be terrible. Although htere is adoption and what-not, i just dont think i would be abl to go through with that.

Although if i found out that i were pregnant in the weeks of 6-8 of pregnancy, then i think it would be ok to have an abortion because the baby wouldnt have developed much, it might only be the size of my thumb, (although i am not too sure of this)

i could go on forever about the different situations, but i guess for me, it depends on the circumstance.

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
03-12-2008 09:57 PM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I'm pro-choice all the way. A woman's body is her own damn business.
03-18-2008 01:04 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:A woman's body is her own damn business.

Agreed.

But a baby is a seperate human that grows inside a woman, which is attached and dependant on her for life until its born. It's not part of her body.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-19-2008 04:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:A woman's body is her own damn business.

Agreed.

But a baby is a seperate human that grows inside a woman, which is attached and dependant on her for life until its born. It's not part of her body.
True, but I still believe that a woman has the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. Besides, if you're against abortions, fine, don't have them, that doesn't mean you have to force your ideas of what's right and wrong on to others.
03-19-2008 09:53 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Sure, she can choose. I don't think people who have abortions should be put in jail or whatever, it's not like they're going to kill other people (well, not likely anyway)... I just don't get how people can believe it's "part" of her body. It's more comparable to a parasite than it is to a body part... even if that sounds a bit weird. Laugh

Hidden stuff:
03-19-2008 11:16 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Sure, she can choose. I don't think people who have abortions should be put in jail or whatever, it's not like they're going to kill other people (well, not likely anyway)... I just don't get how people can believe it's "part" of her body. It's more comparable to a parasite than it is to a body part... even if that sounds a bit weird. Laugh
Huh, never thought of that, so fetus' are parasites. Laugh
03-19-2008 11:25 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re:

Ahab Wrote:
therenagadeoffunk Wrote:hm, itneresting, but anythign in democrecy and be used to get support, wether the electee is a scumbag or not, im pro abortion,keeps pop down till we can find a food source to feed whole world, supply's stem cells, but i think it should be regulated better than it is,to use them in the stage while there are still stem cells in it,jsut because its heart beats dosent mean its capable of the usua; human thoughts. but when people used faith baist legisation is pisses me off, seperation of curch and state peple.

Unfortunately this is the propoganda they want you to believe. In 1968, it was predicted there would be world famine, but with genetic engineering Norman Borlaug managed to save 1, more than likely 2 billion lives through his study of genetic engineering. We can feed people. In fact, where there seems to be the most trouble with feeding people is in areas with the lowest population densities, not the highest.

As far as resources go, technology will continue to allow us to expand. The biggest threat to our safety is us, not "depleting" resources.

Genetic engernering does some weird shit to our food.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
04-29-2008 02:35 PM
.xstrike-anywherex. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 21 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

How do people know the child would always want to be born? If I was going to be born severely deformed or damaged, or born to a crack addict mother, yeah I'd definitely hope for her to abort me before I breathe conscious air.

Step into my twisted reality

[Image: churchsign.jpg]
04-30-2008 03:33 AM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

You don't know if a child wants or doesn't want to be born, you just look at the mental and physical condition that the child will grow up in (parents/environment etc) and there the bearer of the child can decide what to do, which is also wiser than just aborting a pregnancy because you know that's what people do when they are unwillingly or unknowingly having a child. Sometimes, perhaps, the mother finds that raising a child (or just giving birth and then adopting it) is the better solution for both parties.
04-30-2008 03:52 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: Re:

--monkey666-- Wrote:Genetic engernering does some weird shit to our food.
"Frankenfood" is nonsense. Most genetic engineering is meant for places with low population densities with scarce food due to a lack of good agricultural conditions, such as subsaharan african countries. Dry-reistant wheat via genetic engineering is perfectly find: it's still natural, and serves a good purpose and theres nothing wrong to it.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
05-01-2008 04:43 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

.xstrike-anywherex. Wrote:How do people know the child would always want to be born? If I was going to be born severely deformed or damaged, or born to a crack addict mother, yeah I'd definitely hope for her to abort me before I breathe conscious air.
I don't know dude, my sister seems pretty fine with down syndrome, and most children of crack addicts do OK later in life. It's tougher for them, but it doesn't justify pre-termination nessecarily.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
05-01-2008 04:44 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i hate it when anti abortionists call them selves "pro life", it makes people that have the opposite opinion about the topic seem "pro murder".....and i cant beleve how many "pro life" bumber stickers ive seen down here since i moved, damn catholics

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
05-08-2008 04:26 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Well "pro-life" sounds a lot better than "anti-choice" and "pro-choice" sounds a lot better than "anti-life". It's just a strategy both sides use to make their side sound more appealing...neither word is completely accurate.
05-08-2008 09:36 AM
ACEofLONELYHEARTS Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I think the only women who should be allowed to have abortions are women who were raped and got pregnant, otherwise it's half their fault for getting pregnant. I just think this way because my mom had a lot of trouble getting pregnant (she had six miscarriages before I was born). So there are plenty of women out there who could only dream of being pregnant and having a child, and it's not fair that other women are out there getting pregnant, then killing it. It just doesn't seem right to me.

My hallucinogens aren't working anymore - my teddy bear told me so.
When I'm dead I don't want to be buried - I'm claustrophobic.
05-08-2008 09:54 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

ACEofLONELYHEARTS Wrote:I think the only women who should be allowed to have abortions are women who were raped and got pregnant, otherwise it's half their fault for getting pregnant. I just think this way because my mom had a lot of trouble getting pregnant (she had six miscarriages before I was born). So there are plenty of women out there who could only dream of being pregnant and having a child, and it's not fair that other women are out there getting pregnant, then killing it. It just doesn't seem right to me.
It doesn't have much to do with whether or not it's the woman's "fault"; it has to do with the personhood or lack thereof of the fetus. If a fetus can be properly considered to be a person, then the woman should consider that even if she is raped. If it cannot, the only relevant part of the situation is whether or not the woman wants to have an abortion.

I should say that even if I thought abortion were definitely immoral, I wouldn't think it should be made illegal. While I think I wouldn't have an abortion if I were raped, it seems fairly cruel to force a woman to carry the child. There are always cases where it's ambiguous whether, considering both the mother and the child, having an abortion would be more harmful than not having an abortion. Even if the law takes into account many different situations, one can't really expect the legal choice to be the moral choice in every situation.

Also, I think that the "it's her own fault" argument usually relies on the assumption that the woman shouldn't be having sex in the first place.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
05-08-2008 11:46 AM
Zombie Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I don't think a fetus is a human being, but a human being in the making. If someone doesn't feel like raising a child they should be allowed to terminate the process of development. It's no different than killing sperm or an egg. People act like a fetus is a promising young lad with great ambitions, yet to live life.

Who are the brain police?
05-09-2008 05:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's talk about abortion Sunbourn 54 15,927 06-19-2017 01:53 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Stance on Abortion Subb 47 6,812 05-30-2014 12:29 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  This is Why Abortion Should be Legal. Night 52 11,566 04-06-2013 05:09 AM
Last Post: thewake
  is it moral for women to have the right to abortion? Potato 60 9,562 11-29-2012 03:10 PM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Ramble about abortion. Prince Rilian 16 8,519 02-11-2012 09:04 AM
Last Post: avrillavigne12251
  The Only Moral Abortion is my Abortion aaaaaaasd 14 5,177 10-13-2011 04:36 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Abortion Thoughts Guest 152 15,384 06-09-2011 08:55 AM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Abortion SethyDavidG 40 4,911 12-03-2009 04:56 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Doesn't Christianity Encourage suicide and abortion? True Strasserist 7 2,412 03-20-2009 05:41 AM
Last Post: True Strasserist
  Abortion is sick sonoftheking 17 3,191 09-28-2008 09:31 AM
Last Post: mudkip liek