RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common objections to school
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: Common objections to school

PLEASE DELETE THIS.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-05-2011 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

PLEASE DELETE THIS.

Blog I post to now:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

PLEASE DELETE THIS.

Blog I post to now:

HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

AWOL: Trust me I know its a troll.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-05-2011 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Most of you. The mods and admins were afraid of Soul and the much-too-radical leftists to do anything official about it. Then there were the users that took them seriously. But overall, they were drowned out by people laughing their asses off at the troll.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-05-2011 04:09 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I think most people know it is a troll but are replying just for fun.
03-05-2011 06:06 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

The thing is, they take the same attitude to the larger trolls, and it fucks up the forum.

Should be a 100% ignore policy.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-05-2011 09:24 PM
Josky Offline
Rebel

Asder Miller Wrote:I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

"We don't have a choice of what we learn"

Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.

Like I said before, whether you guys like it or not, schools help our progress.

"It makes us stupid"

Refer to above.

"It makes us submissive"

Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it! Smile

"Teachers are boring/frustarting"

Refer to the first reply. Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another

"When you play, play hard. When you work, don't play at all."

I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.

Hope you see it my way.
Biggrin

Tried to it your way, and not only are you dead wrong, but you strike me as a teacher's pet and an asshole suffering from USI, or Unwarranted Self-Importance. Hell, when I was younger, I genuinely tried to see school as a good thing, but it was just flat out fascism. Now then.

This is true. We learn nothing but sugarcoated bullshit that will never get us anywhere in life, as opposed to learning skills that could get us realistic occupations.

"It makes us stupid"

Not quite true, but what they do do is treat us like we are stupid.

"It makes us submissive"

Not quite how I would've said it. We're taught useless information that we'll never use, and we're taught to obey even the stupidest orders without question, a rule that you can forget when you're freed from this educational nightmare. So, in a way, yes, we are beating beaten into submission.

"Teachers are boring/frustrating"

Also true. They generally treat us like garbage, dumb animals, secondhand human beings. And then we're told to respect them. As I've said before: if you try to force respect, then you've probably lost it forever. As for boring, they really do nothing to keep our attention unless the students can force it. Boredom = no interest = no desire.
04-09-2011 09:13 AM
Josky Offline
Rebel

Asder Miller Wrote:I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.

Like I said before, whether you guys like it or not, schools help our progress.

"It makes us stupid"

Refer to above.

"It makes us submissive"

Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it! Smile

Refer to the first reply. Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another

"When you play, play hard. When you work, don't play at all."

I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.

Hope you see it my way.
Biggrin

Tried to it your way, and not only are you dead wrong, but you strike me as a teacher's pet and an asshole suffering from USI, or Unwarranted Self-Importance. Hell, when I was younger, I genuinely tried to see school as a good thing, but it was just flat out fascism. Now then.

This is true. We learn nothing but sugarcoated bullshit that will never get us anywhere in life, as opposed to learning skills that could get us realistic occupations.

"It makes us stupid"

Not quite true, but what they do do is treat us like we are stupid.

"It makes us submissive"

Not quite how I would've said it. We're taught useless information that we'll never use, and we're taught to obey even the stupidest orders without question, a rule that you can forget when you're freed from this educational nightmare. So, in a way, yes, we are beating beaten into submission.

"Teachers are boring/frustrating"

Also true. They generally treat us like garbage, dumb animals, secondhand human beings. And then we're told to respect them. As I've said before: if you try to force respect, then you've probably lost it forever. As for boring, they really do nothing to keep our attention unless the students can force it. Boredom = no interest = no desire.
04-09-2011 09:13 AM
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense."
I used the unaltered version as my senior quote.
04-09-2011 10:44 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

This is from a fucking troll, and it's still on a legitimate forum, and it isn't deleted... but you delete shit (OR MOVE TO RANDOM, IT'S THE SAME SHIT BECAUSE OF AUTO PRUNE) of people who don't flaunt a huge list of weeaboo shit that they love on a thread on General Talk?

[Image: glorious666.png]
04-09-2011 10:53 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
RE: Common objections to school

[quote='Asder Miller' pid='367906' dateline='1299022678']
I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

[quote]Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.[/quote]

Yes, we need artists and writers and mathematicians but not everyone needs to be an artist and a historian and a writer and a mathematician and...

Even so, there's a difference between 6 x 5 which I'm going to need and phythogaras' theorem which I haven't found a use for yet.

[quote]Like I said before, whether you guys like it or not, schools help our progress.[/quote]

Umm....school was designed in the Victorian Era to educate people to be good little factory drones. I don't think it does, really.

"It makes us stupid"

[quote]Refer to above.[/quote]

How does intelligence have anything to do with conformity?

"It makes us submissive"

[quote]Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it! Smile [/quote]

Well, it's not working.

[quote]Refer to the first reply. Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another

"When you play, play hard. When you work, don't play at all."[/quote]

Why can't everything be fun? If it's boring, can it (or the presentation) at least, be made fun? When I play, I play hard. Still...I'll make you a deal: don't force the kids or pay them to suffer and you won't have to put up with their nonsense.

[quote]I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.[/quote]

That strikes me as rather ironic.

[quote]Hope you see it my way.[/quote]

Maybe I will see it your way. You'll have to do better than that though.

This is your argument, not Charles Sykes'. Why is Charle Sykes an authority?

@ Lunatic: Poe's Law. Either it's a troll or it isn't. If it isn't, best help. If it is, meh, good practice.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-30-2013 07:12 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

This thread is also two years old. Whoever you are quoting is probably not going to answer.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
01-31-2013 05:00 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Don't really care.

stupid article
01-31-2013 09:03 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

THAT EXPLAINS ALL THE POST FROM 2008-2011!!!!!

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
01-31-2013 10:13 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Yup,

stupid article
01-31-2013 10:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the most common types of education soli 3 4,001 03-24-2017 06:28 AM
Last Post: Alucard483
  Common core-less states Missile 2 1,581 10-11-2014 09:12 AM
Last Post: Mo the jo
  Oklahoma ditches common core Missile 6 3,999 09-15-2014 03:41 AM
Last Post: Education Reform Movement