RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common objections to school
Asder Miller Offline
Banned

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Common objections to school

I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

"We don't have a choice of what we learn"

Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.

Like I said before, whether you guys like it or not, schools help our progress.

"It makes us stupid"

Refer to above.

"It makes us submissive"

Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it! Smile

"Teachers are boring/frustarting"

Refer to the first reply. Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another

"When you play, play hard. When you work, don't play at all."

I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.

Hope you see it my way.
Biggrin
03-02-2011 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
Re: Common objections to school

Asder Miller Wrote:I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.

What I don't want to learn about math or history? I should still have a say of what I want to learn.

Asder Miller Wrote:"It makes us stupid"

Refer to above.

Never assumed it did.

Asder Miller Wrote:"It makes us submissive"

Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it! Smile
Or more submissive. Stop lying to yourself.

Asder Miller Wrote:"Teachers are boring/frustarting"

Refer to the first reply. Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another

Even if the teacher is annoying, boring or doesn't understand someone? You're all for submissiveness aren't you?

I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.

Asder Miller Wrote:Hope you see it my way.
Biggrin

Why the hell are you even on an ANTI-SCHOOL forum in the first place? Hmmm...... Cuckoo

Previously known as Derchin.
03-02-2011 09:46 AM
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

my objections:
1) My school requires all students to be at the school for 5 class periods a day, with exceptions for students in running start, nova net, or with work releases.
2) The Two highschools I have attended as a student had 10 hours of community service per year, as a graduation requirement. Thats 40hours of MANDATORY community service. I don't give a shit about my community, they don't offer to mow my lawn for free, so I don't return such offers.
3) The rules of my school have been written by someone whom looks to not even have a highschool diploma or certificate of equal "education." There is a rule in my student handbook that lets teachers take ANYTHING that is not learning related, Jewelry, headphones, toys, pants, etc.
4) I had a teacher complain to me about how its not fair to HER that I am unwilling to do the work in her class, when I have no options to drop her class without picking another equally useless class to take its spot.

edited to add this: I was more mature and willing to accept authority when I was 9. I became an Admin for a clan on Day of Defeat, helped solve issues like a responsible adult would. I had the drive to do well in school even. But after years of being forced to do idiotic assignments and deal with teachers who shouldn't be allowed to instruct anyone, I lost all motivation to preform in school, unless the teacher was good enough to provide good instructions and fun assignments.
03-02-2011 03:11 PM
 Thanks given by: Isaiah_halfstaff
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Examples of good things in school to educate students:
1) Having little to no textbook work, use labs(mostly for science classes) to show how something works. Test ideas out to see how each class preforms on assignments and use the one that promotes higher education. My 7th grade science teacher let us talk all we wanted, work in groups, did mostly labs, I got to write an awesome sci-fi paper on what I thought humans would do if the sun was suddenly blocked out/destroyed.

2) Interaction with the class on a non-authority level. My 10th grade history teacher was good at preparing presentations to use to view, take notes from, he joked with kids all the time and made it seem less like a classroom and more fun.

Some bad experiences that I have had are:
1) 4th grade teacher getting miffed at me using basic algebra on our math problems.
2) 5th grade teacher telling me that Horror stories are not acceptable in her classroom.
3)7th grade social studies teacher that lost work you handed directly to her.
4)biology/astronomy teacher that requires you to have EVERYTHING in, and does boring hunt-and-find work in textbooks.
03-02-2011 03:26 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Asder Miller Wrote:I, myself pro school, have devised some refutations to some critism of school. Tell me what you think of them. Smile

[Image: HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg]

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
03-02-2011 05:34 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Fuck that were still gunna destroy it.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
03-02-2011 05:49 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:
AWOL Wrote:[Image: ff55e-Yall_niggas_postin_in_a_troll_thread.jpg]
[Image: op_is_a_troll_trollcat.jpg]
[Image: HEY-OP-Y-U-NO-TROLL-HARDER.jpg?imageSize...ame=Y-U-NO]
[Image: troll-line-m2645.jpg]
[Image: troll_detected.png]
[Image: dis12361_failtroll.jpg]
[Image: SuccessfulTroll.jpg]
[Image: if-we-rage-about-op-being-a-bad-troll-is...losoraptor]
[Image: poorly_disguised_troll.jpg]
[Image: 8f2e0_ORIG-successful_troll.jpg]
[Image: troll.jpg]
[Image: Troll_s_Brain_and_memory.gif]

Mod that keeps moving this:
Hidden stuff:
I'm going to keep posting these until no one replies to this guy. He is a troll. Plain and simple. Lock his shit up the moment you see it, that's the only valid response.

Users of SS:

Watch on YouTube

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-02-2011 10:46 PM
Crow Offline
Revolutionary

Asder Miller Wrote:[Image: 75378-TrollFace.png]

I'm so sick of all these people but I'm scared to be alone...
03-03-2011 12:36 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Well, if you'd understand the subjects being taught, you'd realize that these subjects are needed for two things. One: to keep our infrastructure going (Like language, math, science, etc) and two: to make sure our knowledge lasts (Art, history, literature, etc). I'm sorry to say this, but some of your interests aren't gonna keep society running. And these subjects you want won't persevere our history.
Different people, different interests. If ONE person does not learn ANYTHING whatsoever about math, science, history, whatever, that doesn't mean the "infrastructure" of society is going to fall apart...

You do realize that roughly 90% of people just go through school without complaining and whatnot... so that 90% can do the whole "keep society running" thing, while the remaining 10% of us who are more picky about how we live our own lives can figure out ways to bypass society's bullshit and do whatever we want. It'll take a bit more than that to make society fall apart... and TBH I think if it falls apart it'll be a good thing. Who knows, the "new society" might just be better than this one.

Quote:Or maybe, schools does these things to help you become better, more respectable people. Oh no! I said it!
Submissive people are better and more respectable? Okay, why don't you submit to our authority and adopt our opinions as our own, since you're on our site? Cuckoo

Quote:Like I said before, not everything can be fun. And they shouldn't put up with your nonsense. We'll all have to grow up one way or another
They shouldn't have to put up with us, and neither should we have to put up with them. If school was optional, nobody would have to put up with anybody's nonsense. People who don't want to be there won't be there, and therefore won't cause shit for the ones who do want to be there.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-03-2011 06:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Isaiah_halfstaff
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

In other words, shut up slave.

I don't care if shit in school is beneficial to someone or anyone or everyone.

I'm not a slave.

And omg fucktard how much of what you learned in K-12 do you even fucking remember. Almost none of it you idiot, I guaranfuckingtee it. School is supposed to help you, like, get a job or some shit? Who the fuck needs to know shit about shakespeare for their job? Literature teachers. That's it. That's fucking it. Let me teach you how to teach others how to teach others how to teach others how to teach others how to....

Or drop the whole fucking useless cycle.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
03-03-2011 08:43 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

What you fail to realize is that a lot of the stuff we learn we can do without. Sure there are basic skills everyone can use, but not all of that is taught in school. How the hell is reading Walt Whitman or Emily Dickinson necessary for my advancement? Am I majoring in lit, than no, I don't need it. Same thing applies for the numerous other textbook classes and pointless assignments that I've had to complete. You're just memorizing facts so you can get the correct answer on a test. Outside of the facility, it's teaching me NOTHING! And if it is teaching me "critical thinking", "personal enrichment" or some other bullshit. I can probably learn that from actually doing something I'm interested in.

You're also forgetting that not everyone is the same. What could be one person's strength is another persons weakness. You don't have to be good at everything and shouldn't have to be. Just find your stength and go with it.

Quote:"It makes us stupid"

Refer to above.

Eh, I don't know if it makes us stupid as you can learn some useful things in school, but as I said above, a lot of it is unnecessary.

Quote:"It makes us submissive"

How? By following pointless rules just to prepare us to follow what ever bullshit our bosses throw at us? There are so rules schools have that the only defense I've heard from them is to "prepare us for the real world". In other words, indoctrination. I shouldn't have to ask for teachers permission to use the bathroom or get a drink of water.

Quote:"Teachers are boring/frustarting"

It doesn't HAVE to be this way. Learning and even working can be interesting as I've had some college courses that actually made it enjoyable to learn without the tedium of textbooks and lectures. I got a lot more out of those courses than I ever did from textbooks.

Quote:I suggest you guys read 50 rules kids WON't learn in school to see more on this.
Hope you see it my way.
Biggrin

Oh I read that load of condescending bullshit and refuted it in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27402
03-04-2011 02:13 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

holy shit people you're so fucking easy to troll

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
03-04-2011 02:20 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

And so Jaron triumphs again
03-04-2011 02:30 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:Why the hell are you even on an ANTI-SCHOOL forum in the first place? Hmmm...... Cuckoo

:troll:

Obvious troll is not so obvious.
03-04-2011 02:42 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:
Derchin Wrote:Why the hell are you even on an ANTI-SCHOOL forum in the first place? Hmmm...... Cuckoo

:troll:

Obvious troll is not so obvious.
troll is not 1337.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1709

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
03-04-2011 04:30 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

What makes you think this guy is a troll? Sure, he's full of shit, but it's nice to be able to debate the proschool crowd every once in a while.

Just because you have a different view from the norm on a forum doesn't make you a troll.
03-04-2011 05:40 AM
Asder Miller Offline
Banned

AngryCollegeDude Wrote:What makes you think this guy is a troll? Sure, he's full of shit, but it's nice to be able to debate the proschool crowd every once in a while.

Just because you have a different view from the norm on a forum doesn't make you a troll.
Thanks man.
Biggrin
03-04-2011 10:38 AM
Asder Miller Offline
Banned

AngryCollegeDude Wrote:
Asder Miller Wrote:I shouldn't have to ask for teachers permission to use the bathroom or get a drink of water.
How come? You're distracting the class if you get up without permission. And you might do something stupid, like go to another classroom or leave school entirely.
Noo
03-04-2011 10:40 AM
Crow Offline
Revolutionary

Asder Miller Wrote:
AngryCollegeDude Wrote:
Asder Miller Wrote:I shouldn't have to ask for teachers permission to use the bathroom or get a drink of water.
How come? You're distracting the class if you get up without permission. And you might do something stupid, like go to another classroom or leave school entirely.
Noo

Stupid? Leaving the school is stupid? Do you really think that a student who's extremely bored and really doesn't want to be there is lacking intelligence because he's getting the fuck out of that place? Ans if you ask for permission it distracts the class even more, because you have to talk to the teacher and waste their time. Why can't you just get up and go do what you have to. Your answer is completely illogic.

I'm so sick of all these people but I'm scared to be alone...
03-04-2011 01:22 PM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Yeah, those couple of seconds where a kid gets up to go to the bathroom is really going to distract from class time. Rolleyes Almost as much of a distraction as it would be if the kid asked for permission!

I have ADHD and I still wouldn't get that distracted from a kid getting up to leave (not enough to think they should be forced to stay in their seats). Some teachers have a bug up their ass about kids leaving. And even when you do ask, I have been told no before.

Come on, it's MY right to go to bathroom or get a drink of water. Just because I might "do something stupid" does not justify them restraining me. That's saying "We don't trust you to do what's best for yourself so we're going to control you and take away your rights". And yes, it does only affect myself. The exception being a lawsuit IF the kid tries to leave school and something happens, but that's WCS, and not worth the amount of control freak douchebaggery that goes on in schools.
03-04-2011 01:27 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Asder Miller Wrote:
AngryCollegeDude Wrote:
How come? You're distracting the class if you get up without permission.
It's just as distracting as getting permission and then leaving the room.
Quote:And you might do something stupid, like go to another classroom or leave school entirely.
Noo
Definitely a troll.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-04-2011 01:52 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I've always found the teacher's yelling waaay more distracting than the students' "misbehaving".

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-04-2011 01:53 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Asder Miller Wrote:
AngryCollegeDude Wrote:What makes you think this guy is a troll? Sure, he's full of shit, but it's nice to be able to debate the proschool crowd every once in a while.

Thanks man.
Biggrin

Least we all agree on something.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-05-2011 02:26 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Asder Miller Wrote:
AngryCollegeDude Wrote:
Noo
How come you can't just get up and let the teacher know where your going? Cuckoo

Previously known as Derchin.
03-05-2011 10:29 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Also, when you ask the teacher it distracts the class, and she has to stop teaching. If you just get up and leave, it's NOT a distraction.

You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense."

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-05-2011 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

You don't ask for permission or even tell the teacher where you're going in college. You can leave the classroom and never come back and it doesn't bother anyone or anything. You can go in another classroom if you get consent of the teacher who is teaching in the room you want to go in. If it's an empty unlocked room, you can just go in.

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Also, when you ask the teacher it distracts the class, and she has to stop teaching. If you just get up and leave, it's NOT a distraction.

You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense."
wh
what?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-05-2011 12:49 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Derchin Wrote:How come you can't just get up and let the teacher know where your going? Cuckoo
Ha, like in Mean Girls when she just quietly gets up to go to the bathroom and she's totally confused when the teacher yells at her.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-05-2011 12:52 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

[Image: Could-switching-to-geico-really-save-you...e=Geico-Ad]
[Image: 598946-troll_funny_pic_super.jpg]

War is stupid.
03-05-2011 03:37 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

flann Wrote:[Image: Could-switching-to-geico-really-save-you...e=Geico-Ad]
[Image: 598946-troll_funny_pic_super.jpg]

Myself and the guy with 30. Freakin'. Posts. Are the only two people on the forums smart enough to just ignore the troll or heartlessly make fun of them.

What happened to you SS, you used to wtfpwn trolls whenever they popped up.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-05-2011 03:54 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

PLEASE DELETE THIS.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-05-2011 04:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the most common types of education soli 3 1,754 03-24-2017 06:28 AM
Last Post: Alucard483
  Common core-less states Missile 2 1,015 10-11-2014 09:12 AM
Last Post: Mo the jo
  Oklahoma ditches common core Missile 6 2,694 09-15-2014 03:41 AM
Last Post: Education Reform Movement
  Common Core Evan92 3 1,223 05-25-2014 11:40 AM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Common Core and other State Tests TheCancer 14 2,731 03-15-2014 12:47 PM
Last Post: Trar