RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a book for teens by former teens
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Re: a book for teens by former teens

flann Wrote:But uh... teachers ARE former teens. Everyone 20years+ is a former teen.
Haha, excellent point.

Absentinsomniac Wrote:^That's why I was slightly reluctant to post in this. A lot of these types of things end in uppity ass holes trying to share their bullshit "wisdom" with previous generations.
Isn't that the point? (Aside from the "bullshit" part.) Smile

Seriously, I think it should be the result of a conversation between teens and adults who can relate, not just dogma. If an adult is well-meaning, they should also be capable of gaining some wisdom from you.

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Anyway, I believe we are on the right track. Explaining cognitive processes, critical thinking, actualization, logical thought processes, philosophical, political, ideological, psychological types of things and the like would be an awesome book. I would love to have it.
You can help make it! I think I have some things to contribute, having been so miserably failed and misunderstood by my parents and educational institutions. What makes me different from many is I want to understand things and I believe it's worth it to do so. I don't have all the answers, but I believe there are answers to be found that make a difference in life.

So few people, of whatever age, want to admit their understanding of the world is incomplete AND believe they are capable of making sense of the world AND believe it's worth it to do so.

I think there's far more to life than what many think, along with limitations, complications and problems that people also want to avoid thinking about. Making an ongoing effort to figure out what life can be, along with actually living it as understood, is difficult, but so worth it.

flann Wrote:It's also usually different from person to person... unique
But we are not unique in school, that is. We are all mathmaticians, book writers, programmers, pro critics, rocket scientists, politicians, and historians. (and more)
Yeah. Each person is unique. But in school, or often in other people's minds, we are just instances of a category. You can see this when you trigger one of those categories in someone's mind who you're interacting with. In the context of school survival, any adult activates a "schema" for adults, who are "uppity ass holes trying to share their bullshit "wisdom" with previous generations." That may be true in general, but not necessarily in every case. Using categories can be useful, but understanding their limitations is, as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_(psychology)

flann Wrote:You would make a new book like every 5 years because crap changes.
Some things change, some things don't. The laws of physics and the natural world are fixed in this universe. Man-made institutions and culture are subject to change. Technology changes. Individuals can change in some ways, but are fixed in others. Even things subject to change have recurring principles to them.

It's a challenge to make sense of what can and can't change, and what is in one's own power to change and what is not. And even if you have a good sense of those things, deciding what to do can be an even bigger challenge.

But struggling a bit with those questions can give you a much better appreciation for life's potential.

(The "Serenity Prayer" touches on those issues: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." But it suffers from the same problem most conceptions of morality/ethics suffer: the assumption that ethics consists of nothing but abstaining from sickness and evil or doing things that have nothing to do with you. Life is full of opportunities and choices to pursue all kinds of values.)

The Desert Fox Wrote:I believe that the people who would write the book would be like us (if not us, lol), and they'd be fresh out of their teens so, in the case that "maturing" would happen, it would hardy have an effect because they'd just have been teens themselves.
This raises the question, "what is maturity?" (Also asked by Desu.)

Something that comes from a discussion between teens and "former teens" would probably make the most sense.
03-13-2011 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
Re: a book for teens by former teens

Quote:You would make a new book like every 5 years because crap changes.

You don't make a new book, you update it and release new editions. And only some things would need to be updated.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-13-2011 04:09 PM
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

Today I started something I hope will evolve and grow into something like this "book for teens"

http://www.eqi.org/p1/uruguay/book4teens/book4teens.htm
06-03-2013 11:02 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Desu , xcriteria
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

i need some more encouragement to keep working on this idea.. i like the idea but ive got a lot of stuff going on. so for anyone who also likes it, plz let me know. or if ur willing to help with it
06-07-2013 06:58 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Definitely. I think more is needed than a book -- for example, some online, maybe wikified format could be useful. I've also been playing around with different ways to link together videos, texts, and stories that would be hard to do entirely on paper.

Still I think a book could be a good part of an overall effort. I've collected a lot of materials, and there are more stories here every day. The question is how to put things into a format people find useful.

(And I think a big part of that is putting things in a form parents, educators, and so on can read and appreciate! That could help improve a lot of people's situations.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
06-07-2013 09:10 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why are kids and teens so stupid? Gaiyara 84 24,817 01-04-2017 04:45 AM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Kids/Teens don't matter KitsuneSefam 8 4,368 01-02-2017 05:10 PM
Last Post: Geicosuave
  Don't Serve Teens.gov waspline 36 25,531 01-29-2013 10:00 AM
Last Post: Ky
  Boot Camp for teens waspline 27 11,789 06-19-2011 02:18 AM
Last Post: AngryCollegeDude
  Teens rank below dogs waspline 12 5,227 12-24-2010 04:13 AM
Last Post: Trar
  Secret Prisons for Teens Reptorian 2 2,181 08-15-2010 08:43 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  "WE DON'T SERVE TEENS" LOON_ATTIC 32 7,246 02-27-2010 01:22 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Is it any suprise adults think teens are stupid? aaaaaaasd 52 10,128 01-26-2010 11:58 PM
Last Post: Ceiling Cat
  Two teens escape juvie-old news but still worth reading Rebelnerd 8 2,968 12-13-2009 01:27 PM
Last Post: academic prisoner
  "grounding" anti-social teens Thought Criminal 34 8,381 07-30-2009 03:51 AM
Last Post: Thought Criminal