RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gotta get this off my chest...
Josky Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Gotta get this off my chest...

I attend Dayton High School in Nevada, and I fucking hate it. And I'll tell you why.
It's the work. I am assigned pile after pile of senior-grade work (I'm a sophomore), and then given just as much homework. And I'm not capable of doing any of it. The work is just beyond my comprehension, and when I complain to my parents or ask for help, my mother tells me to stay after, and my father either ignores me or tells me it's easy. I'll tell you why staying after school isn't an option. The teachers are almost never available, and when they are, they treat it more like after-school detention than getting help, and, in addition, offer no help. And, because I cannot keep up with the school's standards, I am currently failing six out of seven classes, and have lost access to non-textbooks, electronics, and anything else that my parents consider a "privilage", all because my parents refuse to offer help.
I hate this. I don't want to stay in this school, because if I do, I'll either flunk and get held back, or just drop out of high school. It's not a learning disorder or mental retardation, it's just that the school expects far too much out of a bunch of 15- and 16-year-olds. I want to be moved to another school, or take online classes, otherwise... I don't know what I'll do.
03-03-2011 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: Gotta get this off my chest...

Online courses is the way to go. It's easy and you can move along at a slightly slower pace. Try to convince your parents that it's as good as high-school and that you will get much, much better grades. Hopefully they will go for it. Good fucking luck, and be prepared for a lot of convincing.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-03-2011 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Why the hell are they assigning senior level work to you? (unless you're in advanced classes, then nevermind)

If online courses aren't an option, I'd say try to convince your parents to transfer to a school that isn't as crazy as this one. Or attend a homeschooling academy, where you can get individual attention and learn at your own pace.
03-03-2011 12:28 PM
Josky Offline
Rebel

My parents keep saying "no". Now what?
03-03-2011 01:29 PM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Keep trying I guess. Persistency is key! Have you already explained the full on situation to them?

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
03-03-2011 01:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Also, you can do it without their permission at seventeen, I think.

Blog I post to now:

03-03-2011 01:35 PM
Josky Offline
Rebel

SuperiorDiplomat Wrote:Keep trying I guess. Persistency is key! Have you already explained the full on situation to them?

I have, several times. They seem to be absolutely convinced that I'm smart.
03-03-2011 03:11 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Josky Wrote:
SuperiorDiplomat Wrote:Keep trying I guess. Persistency is key! Have you already explained the full on situation to them?

You probably are, in some ways. Parents are fucking annoying though, and they expect you to put up with that bullshit. Good luck. Can you get into easier classes or something?

Blog I post to now:

03-03-2011 03:20 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Welcome to life. It's full of assholes.

You're parents are mislead by society and think your teachers are right, and you are wrong. I get the same treatment as you, except yours is worse. Tell your parents the truth, tell them to WAKE THE FUCK UP.

I cannot offer much advice, but good luck my friend.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
03-03-2011 09:38 PM
Josky Offline
Rebel

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Josky Wrote:

You probably are, in some ways. Parents are fucking annoying though, and they expect you to put up with that bullshit. Good luck. Can you get into easier classes or something?

Perhaps I am, but I'm definately not Stephen Hawking(s?). And easier classes aren't an option, unfortunately. All I can do is either link them to this site and hope they take me seriously, just take it and fail, or... I don't know what else.

Efstratios Wrote:Welcome to life. It's full of assholes.

You're parents are mislead by society and think your teachers are right, and you are wrong. I get the same treatment as you, except yours is worse. Tell your parents the truth, tell them to WAKE THE FUCK UP.

I cannot offer much advice, but good luck my friend.

Thank you. And I just hate how parents would sooner listen to total strangers than their own children.
03-04-2011 02:04 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Also, you can do it without their permission at seventeen, I think.

No, at seventeen, you need your parents' permission to drop out or transfer. Eighteen's where it's at....

Explain to your parents that it's too much and like SuperiorDiplomat said, be persistent. I can't really offer any good advice and can only hope your parents will listen and be flexible.
03-04-2011 01:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let me get this off my chest.... James Comey 8 4,156 06-10-2014 12:30 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  I really need to get something off my chest here Miller0700 27 5,234 07-18-2013 08:22 AM
Last Post: тωιѕтє∂
  Gotta Take Geometry Regents......AGAIN!! (Rage Thread) EnemyOfTheState 24 22,847 01-18-2012 04:18 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  "I gotta work. Stop complaining" Miller0700 8 5,148 10-04-2011 02:22 PM
Last Post: flann
  Gotta pwn my spanish teacher on tuesday Sunbourn 0 1,289 11-28-2009 01:34 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Everyone's gotta learn! Even sick kids! linkidoo 12 3,772 05-23-2009 12:11 PM
Last Post: Trar
  man, I GOTTA get this off my chest mudkip liek 11 3,502 03-13-2009 06:16 AM
Last Post: elizabethmarhors
  I REALLY need to get this off my chest. mudkip liek 28 6,337 09-07-2007 03:37 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Argh! Gotta go back to class now. Doc Johnson 13 3,856 09-20-2006 06:24 AM
Last Post: Guest