RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Semester Classes
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Second Semester Classes

Well, second semester started today, and I got my new classes. So far they seem a lot better than my old ones.

Math: Making this up again from last year, where I had a crackpot teacher who failed all but 4 people. Thankfully I have a different teacher this time. I know him, he's a pretty cool guy. There aren't too many people in the class either, so less distractions. I think I'll get thru it this time.

Art: Finally, FINALLY got to take an art class. I think I'm gonna love this class. We do sketches for homework!

Psychology: Not too sure what to expect from this one, it seems interesting tho.

Science: Not sure why I'm in here again, I thought I passed it last time. Seems the same as the last class, except with a really strict teacher.

So, what are your new classes?
01-16-2008 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Cooking, photoshop, English, game math, earth and space science, and psychology.

I don't really need to take photoshop, but they're giving me a free copy of the software. Biggrin
01-16-2008 10:29 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:Cooking, photoshop, English, game math, earth and space science, and psychology.

I don't really need to take photoshop, but they're giving me a free copy of the software. Biggrin

Cool, free photoshop!
01-16-2008 10:43 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

laughing.

In order:

10th grade literature
German II
Geometry
ROTC

(I'm on a four block schedule with each class having 1 hr 30 minute classes)
01-16-2008 12:02 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:laughing.

In order:

10th grade literature
German II
Geometry
ROTC

(I'm on a four block schedule with each class having 1 hr 30 minute classes)

Whats ROTC?
01-16-2008 12:07 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

It's military training.
01-16-2008 12:37 PM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

My second semester hasnt started yet but my classes will be:

Algebra II
German II
Intro to Internet Publishing
H.English II
W.History
Biology

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
01-16-2008 02:08 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

The One Wrote:My second semester hasnt started yet but my classes will be:

Algebra II
German II
Intro to Internet Publishing
H.English II
W.History
Biology

Intro to Internet Publishing?

Sounds weird.
01-16-2008 02:09 PM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Boo Hoo

We don't have semesters. My students can go as fast as they want to go, or as slow as they choose to go. They get three classes to start, and as a class is finished we order up the next one(s) until they git 'er done. More than 300 students are enrolled and we will have graduation the same as the other schools have it in the spring.

This Friday we will have our monthly "Celebration" where we have food and cake and a party to celebrate the completions of some students. We're also having a field trip to the Alaska History Museum. It's a beautiful place and most of the kids who take Alaska History enjoy going there.

Oh, and we set goals each week. If a student gets 75% of their goals over a month, then we give them a $10 gift card to their choice of McDonalds, or a couple of stores. Also, we give free bus passes monthly for kids who are enrolled. We try to remove every excuse for not coming in at least once per week. I think we may be the only school that pays kids to attend!

I'm at work now, at 7:30 p.m. because we are open two days from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. I adjust my schedule one day a week but I don't mind.

[Image: aVfCThr.jpg]
01-16-2008 02:24 PM
David B. Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

It really sounds like your school does have the right idea going for it, Mr Sunshine. If schools cared about the performance of their students, they would obviously let them go about life at a pace that is conducive to their learning style, pace, and understanding - and goal setting really sounds like a crucial component to understanding how they progress to their own personal successes.

Quote:Boo Hoo

But why do you have to be such a douchebag in each and every one of your posts? Please keep the pompous to a none - I know that must be hard for you - but people might just like you if you do.
01-17-2008 02:58 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Monday & Wednesday

11:15-2:30 - Chemistry Lab

Tuesday & Thursday

11:10-12:45 - English Composition
12:45-2:214 - Chemistry Lecture
2:15-4:45 - PreCalculus

Online Classes

Statistics

Let's do the time warp again!
01-17-2008 03:28 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Math, Biology, and Canadian and World Issues: A Geographic Analysis (or something).
01-17-2008 06:36 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

akdonn Wrote:Boo Hoo
Wow, can you keep the pompous turned down, just a tad?

In my school, it's the same classes the year through.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-17-2008 07:22 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Mine for next term are... (It starts on the 31st)

English
Media Studies
Math
Designing your Future (like careers..ugh, wanna switch outta that one!)
01-22-2008 07:18 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

All my Red Day classes are the same, at the same times as first semester. English 9, Spanish 1, and Algebra 1. White days change though. Physical Science is a two-part class. Physical Science 1 focuses on chemistry. Physical science 2 focuses on more physical stuff like mass. I have Physical Science 2, replacing Physical Science 1, Civics replacing World Geography, and Im taking Art 3-D as an extra credit.

[Image: ninjawarrior.jpg]
01-22-2008 08:13 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

I start term two today. I had a nice little break during this exam week, did two exams in class and two during this week. Now I have to go to class again. I HOPE my friends are at least in my classess, it makes it fun..we can share boredom together, XD. I usually try to remain positive about school. Hopefully this term is good. Hope I get my report card to, the waiting..I want to know how I did..
01-31-2008 10:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bad start for the second semester Missile 13 7,182 01-15-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: Blanket