RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Media Image Of The PerFect Body
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Ummm... no. Its the media. We should focus on not raising idiotic dumbasses that can't think for themselves instead of reading retarded irrelevant magazines that focus on celebrity A and B.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
02-03-2008 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

media sucks

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-03-2008 10:14 AM
starfish Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I`ve been thinking about beauty a lot lately, and my own almost obssesive quest to gain it. Why is beauty so alluring. Well, beauty is power. Is is the sheer raw power to manipulate the way other people feel about you, and not having to even open your mouth to do it. People want you. People admire you. People put up with your shit, where in someone less attractive they wouldn`t. You can be the stupidest, most annoying person in the world, but if your beautiful, you will never have to be alone. Beauty is instant attention. It is exceptance. Who wouldn`t want this power.

Now, this said, just the idea that we hate ourselves for not being something we are not geneticaly made to be, is weird. Like, saying you`re white, would you ever look at a black person and hate, HATE yourself for not having their color skin. Probably not. Because your parents are white. You could not possibly control your skin melonoma levels. And, her having that color doesn`t make her better of worse then you. So, why then when we look at a very skinny model, do we hate ourselves for not looking like her. We were not geneticaly engineered to have that body. We really are not worse or better then her. We are just DIFFERENT. and DIFFERENT is the key word in all this. Different is ugly. Different is unfamiliar, and scary, and bad. We look different then media propoganda. After being exposed to a certain body type for your entire life, and not looking like it, of course your going to think something is wrong with how you look. You`re seposed to look like them. You`ve seen it your whole life, and that kind of person has all the power, the exceptance, the happiness. Really everyone is seposed to look like that, but we all have to stop eating and start running two hours a day like `they do``. Bullshit. Trust me, I starved myself, excersized like a mad women, went jogging every day (have you ever stopped to think about how weird jogging is. Imagin not knowing anything about jogging and comming to this country for the first time. Seeing people running around for no reason, for hours. You`d think they where retarded right. well thats not far from the truth) and I`ve never gotten any skinnier. It`s all a lie, but everyone believes it. And we need everbody, so we try to believe it too. But we don`t really. And that`s why we`re all here.
02-06-2008 04:44 PM
starfish Offline
Revolutionary

I mean we`re all just cells and fat and bone. Are human bodies any more sacred then that of a mushroom. Would you look at a mushroom and say it`s uglier then another. No. Because we look at mushroms for what they are. Just an organic body that is what is is for the soul purpose of survival and reproduction (and a yummy food). Body image is just a symptom of a mass need for conformaty.
02-06-2008 04:51 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

*claps* yes!^

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-07-2008 04:39 AM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I don't really think the media has that much to do with it. Your either born with a perfectionistic disposition making you more likely to develop anorexia or your not and you just go on little diet with no visible effect to the rest of the world. Some say ana is a lifestyle choice, I disagree it's something you get caught up in and some people want to recover and some are too scared to recover. This is what we were discussing in group therapy on Tuesday so it's my thoughts on the matter now.

[Image: angel.png]
02-07-2008 05:55 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Uh, yeah..... no. Incorrect. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

02-07-2008 07:50 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I disagree with you, F_E. I used to be like everyone else when I was younger, whatever the trend was of the grade I was into.

Then I realized the kids in my grade were dumb shits.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-07-2008 08:19 AM
undergroundrevolutionary Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

i also disagree. the media is a powerful thing. rent the movie camp jesus its the same exact thing

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
02-07-2008 09:15 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

yes it is, strange to see that there's so many people with the same mindset as them Noo

02-07-2008 09:18 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

We do "art" in all kinds of places, and the body can be one of those. It gets just boring when everyone paints the same thing.
starfish Wrote:Well, beauty is power. Is is the sheer raw power to manipulate the way other people feel about you, and not having to even open your mouth to do it. People want you. People admire you. People put up with your shit, where in someone less attractive they wouldn`t. You can be the stupidest, most annoying person in the world, but if your beautiful, you will never have to be alone. Beauty is instant attention. It is exceptance. Who wouldn`t want this power.
As you said, beauty is quite effective at attracting mortals, but one needs more than physical beauty to attract gods like me.
02-07-2008 10:59 AM
starfish Offline
Revolutionary

lol you have quite a high opinion of yourself.

As for anorexia, that comes down to controle too. (I've recently had a controle theory breakthrough, about how we as humans are drawn to what we can controle, and repulsed by what we can't. It dictates almost everything we do.) Anorexics have the ability to alter their physical appearance just by not eating. I would totally be anorexic If I could loose weight by just not eating, but I don't, so I'm not. Anorexics see instant results. Just two days of not eating and their stomachs are flatter, their hip bones stick out more. Instant controle is a very deliciouse thing. It gets bad though because they need that constant controle, which means continuing not to eat to see results, and thats ultimitly unhealthy. I dont think it's that they're perfectionists. I think they are just people who have found something they can controle, and are addicted to doing it.
02-07-2008 12:00 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Skinny people are ick. Yuck
I like meat on my boys and girls.

02-07-2008 12:24 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

...since when are you bi?
02-07-2008 12:30 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:...since when are you bi?
You don't have to want to have sex with someone to think he looks pretty.
02-07-2008 12:37 PM
Fanatic

Your post made no sense.
02-07-2008 12:39 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

you make no sence

02-07-2008 12:50 PM
SilenceXEmotion Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Will Wrote:
youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:...since when are you bi?
You don't have to want to have sex with someone to think he looks pretty.

I think what he means is that you can think that a person is attractive without wanting to have sex with them.

From the day of your birth, you have been living on borrowed time. You and I are both going to die at some point, and in the end there is not a thing you or I can do to change that.

In death, all we forfeit is the brief moment in time we call the present. You cannot lose anything of the future. The future you fear losing is imaginary.
02-07-2008 01:07 PM
Fanatic

Oh, right.
02-07-2008 01:11 PM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

Re:

starfish Wrote:Instant controle is a very deliciouse thing. It gets bad though because they need that constant controle, which means continuing not to eat to see results, and thats ultimitly unhealthy. I dont think it's that they're perfectionists. I think they are just people who have found something they can controle, and are addicted to doing it.
I agree, it is all about control(/controle?) but I would say that ana's are addicted to control to a degree but I'd also say they are preoccupied with their body image and don't want to be what could been seen as ugly.

However I disagree here (sorry) but I've had it and met loads of people, and it's pretty perfectionistic.
starfish Wrote:I dont think it's that they're perfectionists.
That would be incorrect, because this is what, a lot of people that have ana think perfection is http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... ook/o1.jpg and they want to get their. In my mind that is perfectionistic. Also you will find most people (especially younger girls) with ana have varying degrees of OCD. You will also find (especially younger girls again) will tell you they don't want to be the old them anymore, because the old them wasn't good enough. They want to be the new them. #

still not convinced? type "loat dreams ana" into ask.com and click on the link that says:
-=-*lostdreams*-=- Home

02-10-2008 01:27 AM
Almosthere Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: Re:

fragile_esteem Wrote:That would be incorrect, because this is what, a lot of people that have ana think perfection is http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... ook/o1.jpg and they want to get their. In my mind that is perfectionistic. Also you will find most people (especially younger girls) with ana have varying degrees of OCD. You will also find (especially younger girls again) will tell you they don't want to be the old them anymore, because the old them wasn't good enough. They want to be the new them. #

still not convinced? type "loat dreams ana" into ask.com and click on the link that says:
-=-*lostdreams*-=- Home

Gratz. that has to be in my top 5 most disturbingi pictures i've ever viewed list.

I believe strongly in finishing what i

one of the most interesting differences between school and prison, is that prior entering the second, you are read your rights. The less you know the better.

'Why is it that every time you open your mouth, you say something to annoy me?'
'With all do respect sir, i could ask you the same question.'

[Image: 8a21bd064d.gif]
02-10-2008 11:07 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Re: The Media Image Of The PerFect Body

ive seen more distubring pictures.

02-10-2008 11:08 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Oh no, plz don't mention disturbing pics on this site.

*bad memories*

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-10-2008 11:09 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

guy ran over by tank, guy who commited suicide with a band saw, la freeway suicide,eifle tower jumper, and man vs shotgun are all in my pictures

02-10-2008 11:18 AM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

therenagadeoffunk Wrote:guy ran over by tank, guy who commited suicide with a band saw, la freeway suicide,eifle tower jumper, and man vs shotgun are all in my pictures

word. o.O

anyway...

what do people on here think of pro anorexia?

02-12-2008 05:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:what do people on here think of pro anorexia?

What exactly does that mean? Trying to be anorexic on purpose?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-12-2008 06:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:what do people on here think of pro anorexia?

What exactly does that mean? Trying to be anorexic on purpose?

no it is using it as a "lifestyle choice" pretenind it is healthy and not trying to recover.

02-13-2008 03:36 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

I think it's bad.

02-13-2008 08:41 AM
randyhart Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Pro Anorexia is quite disturbing...There is no such thing as healthy starving the people who create these sites sicken Me and Need Help!

The World seemed to all make sense but that sense seemed to slowly fade now in 11th grade
02-13-2008 08:46 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:no it is using it as a "lifestyle choice" pretenind it is healthy and not trying to recover.

Emphasis on "pretending". Sounds like a convenient excuse to not have to change. Change is scary, after all... but it's the only way to get out of a shitty situation.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-13-2008 10:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Complete the image below James Comey 3 2,446 01-02-2014 04:58 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Is Obama just the U.S. image? ..V.. 1 1,944 05-10-2013 05:58 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
Question Perfect society/humanity? 1312 20 12,859 12-04-2011 07:35 AM
Last Post: 1312
  War needs more media coverage Thought Criminal 6 4,415 12-03-2009 08:00 AM
Last Post: Spot-ify
  Media Censorship Darthmat 59 7,403 08-26-2007 11:10 AM
Last Post: Darthmat
  mind, body, soul, wimon, sanity, visions i-am-the-liquor 18 3,285 07-22-2007 06:37 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  controlled by the media... modest mouse 33 15,657 03-06-2006 08:50 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd