RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Media Image Of The PerFect Body
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
The Media Image Of The PerFect Body

We all know what it is, and in case you don't google Abercrombie.

But, is this actually waht peopel are naturally attracted to? Or is it something done though the media?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-21-2008 12:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I think it must be the media, 'cause back in the old days when the Greeks still made sculptures, they idolized quite average bodies compared to what people go for nowadays. Just look at old paintings and stuff.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-21-2008 02:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

well, back then having some fat was considered a good thing since it meant you were wealthy enough not to starve. there was a legitimate reason for adopting that as their standard of beauty, now it's just corporations screwing around with everybody's mind.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-21-2008 02:46 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

well in america, anorexia=hot bod

in another country that i recently heard of but forgot the name of, a girl wieghing 400 pounds by age 5 is a good wife, below 200 at that age will put your family into disgrace

so's i guess it matters where your from, but skinny is usally better, and i guess thats a bit natural cuz obesity is unhealthy, but newsflash! having your ribs stick out will kill ya too!

only difference between starving African kids and most (not generalizing, cuz well..) playboy models: playboy models get paid for how they look

thers so many opinions of the "attractive body," but most are what you see portrayed in magazines and billbords, ever read uglies? at least we're not that bad yet

now heres what i think is interesting, theres basically (at least in America) one main "perfect body" for females, but theres a few different ones for guys, whats that mean?

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 03:59 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I have a theory.

At one point in time, the attractiveness of women was directly in proportion to their ability to bear children. I mean to say, that the more curvy plump women were much more attractive to men since they were more likely to be able to bear a healthy child. Now with modern technology, we no longer have a need to have these perfect childbearing-type women. And our attraction now changed philologically to prefer a mate who would be more suited to be a lover. Of course, I am suggesting this all on an entirely subconscious level. No one walked around and told us to find skinny chick's hotter. I mean to say that our minds naturally took the idea of what we want and made our bodies respond to that said stimuli in the mind. All in all, my theory is perhaps overreaching in the idea of how much control of our attractions, our mind actually has. But it still seems viable in my opinion, simply over the evolutionary base it stems from.

....(Though this would suggest that humans where intentionally designed to primitively adapt to technology. But then again, have you ever noticed how enigmatic it is for an elderly person to use a computer. There is no lack of logic, it simply seems like the younger 8 year old has adapted in his mindset to include the computer in his reality while the elderly man who has lived and used logic and reason for 50-60 years, cannot grasp the concept of the start menu......)

......yea...im gonna shut up now..

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
01-21-2008 04:01 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

hmmm, i actually agree with your theory to a point, though you do know that mother-child mortality rate is higher than ever in AMERICA, one of the so called most advanced countries in the world. large hips are still pretty attractive anyway, but i guess ppl just like curvyness, for whatever reasons.

just a thought, does anyone here share the opinion that females bodys are generally more attractive than males? not in a sexist way, just like, if you were looking at a female, and male body, from neither genders POV, which do you think would be more attractive?

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 05:07 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Ok, Cryp, if Amber ever reads that ,she will sooo tear you apart. Laugh

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-21-2008 07:50 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

cryptevah72 Wrote:now heres what i think is interesting, theres basically (at least in America) one main "perfect body" for females, but theres a few different ones for guys, whats that mean?
WRONG

There is the anorexic, the "big booty", and there are others.

01-21-2008 08:52 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Hmmm..
I'am not bi but I find that both males and females can be attractive...

I've been on this site too long or no way in hell i would have said that outloud..
Noo

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-21-2008 11:39 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Rofl

01-21-2008 11:40 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

hey im more attracted to female bodys than male, but im not lesbo...damn that sounded really weird!!! Wtf

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 12:22 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I tend to like the female body more. The curves are really nice, and the whole body seems more well designed, more subtle. Guys, it's just too stark. Our genitals are just "Here ya go" and the whole shape of our bodies is kinda awkward.

K
S
01-21-2008 12:27 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

i know what you mean, the female body is so...artistic, like its just more naturally beautiful, well sometimes, it really matters on the person and everything, idk

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 12:36 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

cryptevah72 Wrote:just a thought, does anyone here share the opinion that females bodys are generally more attractive than males? not in a sexist way, just like, if you were looking at a female, and male body, from neither genders POV, which do you think would be more attractive?

Through one lens I find both to be a ridiculous array of lumps, weird rubbery flesh, with the most odd combination of concave and convex connections. Faces are weird and bizzare and genitals are almost worse.

Through the lens that I have the other 40% of the time, the female body is a much more aesthetically pleasant one to look at it. It's softer, more subtle, and delicate. It's just "pretty".

My friends and I were just having a conversation kind of like this last night. She thinks she's fat, I think she's voluptuous in a way I'm not. She mostly wants to lose like this stupid ten pounds off her stomach and I just love her framework. She's strong, she's sturdy, but she's got these great curves, and since she's been walking every day she's in excellent shape. I mean it's great that she walks everyday. She has trouble sleeping when she doesn't because of all the extra energy not being burned. But she doesn't need to lose ten pounds.

My Mom and my friend were both arguing about their weights and I popped in to say that neither of them were fat. Of course, the whole thing turned on me and my Mom started lecturing me about how I have a "Fuck you" belly. I thought she was telling me I couldn't participate in the conversation because I'd always been on the thinner side. Turns out she meant my little very non-flat stomach. She calls it the, "I am content and I'm fit without trying to be vain. So fuck all of you insecure flat-abbed girls." I don't think about it much but I do have a little bit of one. And I like it. I was the tiniest bit angry with it when I had to go out on stage in a bathing suit for our last production but I got the same feedback from everyone ("You just walked right out onstage in the bathing suit and had this look on your face like 'Fuck you. I'm secure enough with myself to do this.'") But I like it. It's just something I've learned to find sensual about myself. Not enough girls do that. There are those that do but they're the ones that go against the tide.

Then the conversation turned to The Good Body by Eve Ensler. Amazing woman who wrote The Vagina Monologues. And yes, I attend that show every spring.

Fuck Abercrombie and their Barbie propoganda.

Bring me a magarita and some pizza.

Let's do the time warp again!
01-21-2008 01:05 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

lol

i find it kinda funny that my mom had a smaller waist than i do now, when she was 20, cuz i have my dads build, and im alredy almost taller than her, its just weird.

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 01:10 PM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

cryptevah72 Wrote:hey im more attracted to female bodys than male, but im not lesbo...damn that sounded really weird!!! Wtf

Exactly! Thank you! I'm glad I'm not alone in that lol

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will
these are the isolate, slow faults
that kill, that kill, that kill

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-21-2008 01:20 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Razz same here

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 01:22 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

lol. HC FTW.

K
S
01-21-2008 02:19 PM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Anonymous1.0 Wrote:lol. HC FTW.

Please explain the letters...

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-21-2008 02:26 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

HC= Happy Camper
FTW = For The Win

01-21-2008 02:41 PM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

darthmat Wrote:HC= Happy Camper
FTW = For The Win

thanks!

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-21-2008 02:43 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Welcome. Smile

01-21-2008 02:46 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

yay! i actually got that the first time i read it! (rising up from noob!)

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
01-21-2008 04:08 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

The ancient peoples didn't have television and advertising so their idea of a hottie was influenced solely by popular opinion rather than "you will be attracted to what we tell you to be attracted to."

If these Abrabombie models are anything like the pictures i see on clothing shop walls in my country i would probably want to bash their heads against a concrete pylon. They make me sick. The smiling faces. The beach scenes. The groups looking all social and "in." If you buy these clothes you will be happy and have allot of friends like us. FUCK OFF.

Im a red blooded male and I'm as straight as an architects ruler. And if one of these "image" girls lay in the gutter unconscious, no heartbeat, no breathing, I wouldn't poke her with a stick to see if she was alive.

The bottom line is:

I LIKE BIG BUTS!
01-21-2008 08:55 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Rofl Rofl

Quote:yay! i actually got that the first time i read it! (rising up from noob!)

Nope. Razz

01-21-2008 11:28 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I don't think people care about these perfect body images for other people. Lots of people are obsessed about themselves looking great but they don't require other people to be that way. Sure, guys drool over "perfect women" but they still have sex with women who are far less attractive. It's a dream or a fantasy, and most people recognize that.
01-22-2008 02:15 AM
Quote this message in a reply
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

I agree. I'm anorexic and I don't care what other people look like, I obviously envy people that are thinner, prettier and healthier than me. But as for people in my everyday life I don't really give a damn how fat they are. I just know I don't want to be like them.

I don't think the thing we see as "perfection" has anything to do with the media. (well not for me) I think it's to do with each other, a sort of obsession of being the best. You have to be thin, you have to pretty. The average UK woman is a 28 inch waist (size UK12). The average UK woman would rather be a size 8 than a size 14. That tells you the average woman would rather lose 4 inches than gain 2.

[Image: angel.png]
02-03-2008 03:07 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

wow, None

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. wether your skinny,fat,tall,shourt, ect..dosent matter to me. its all about who the person is, not there container. i mean im built like a fucking twig and i dont care.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-03-2008 03:13 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Renegade is correct. You can't stereotype the media like that. There's different parts of the media that have similar beauty expectations as those that like that part of the media. Yeah, the media reflects what they think the people that view their shows or commercials want. If you look on the Logo channel you see lots of gay ads, you look on spike you see lots of ads aimed toward men, and then on the Lifetime channel you see lots of commercials telling women that men are bad and will hurt you, etc etc.
So it's safe to assume that those channels/ads with mirror what they think their viewers would like.

Anyways, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The media reflect on such and therefor mirror the image of "perfection." Because sex sells rating and materialistic shit.

Big boys are fucking gorgeous. Peace.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
02-03-2008 07:30 AM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

I agree with that also.

but the media I'm talking about for the rest of this post is magazines like Heat and Grazia and Now. They write about how "celebrity A" who is 90lbs is disgustingly over weight and then flick the pages and find "celebrity B" who is only about 15lbs less and they write about how emaciated they look and then few weeks later there's a picture of "celebrity B" in a bikini and they write about how fat they are. I don't think they should be allowed to call celebrities fat or thin. I think they should just focus on the person and ignore their looks.

[Image: angel.png]
02-03-2008 07:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Complete the image below James Comey 3 2,035 01-02-2014 04:58 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Is Obama just the U.S. image? ..V.. 1 1,673 05-10-2013 05:58 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
Question Perfect society/humanity? LedoS 20 11,044 12-04-2011 07:35 AM
Last Post: LedoS
  War needs more media coverage Thought Criminal 6 3,855 12-03-2009 08:00 AM
Last Post: Spot-ify
  Media Censorship Darthmat 59 5,796 08-26-2007 11:10 AM
Last Post: Darthmat
  mind, body, soul, wimon, sanity, visions i-am-the-liquor 18 2,738 07-22-2007 06:37 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  controlled by the media... modest mouse 33 12,678 03-06-2006 08:50 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd