RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Teenage Rebellion Has Become a Mental Illness
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Re: How Teenage Rebellion Has Become a Mental Illness

Nice bump thar.

Good post, though.
10-14-2009 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Blano Wrote:Yeah, me and my brother have both been diagnosed with 'ADHD'. When my doctor told me about it, I didn't really care but I also did not know much about it. So they gave me the medication and I took it. After about a week, I realized it was doing more harm than good. I lost a ton of weight because it made me lose my appetite. It also made it almost impossible for me to be creative or doodle when I was bored, because it was almost controlling me to 'pay attention to the teacher', and I felt like a complete zombie Dead . When I would get home, it was like I no longer could be creative. Eventually I just stopped taking the medication and I feel a lot better.

I firmly believe that these 'disorders' are just diagnosed so that it makes it look like school isn't the problem with learning, it's because the students are not exactly what the school wants them to be. It's crazy. Cuckoo There is no such thing as individuality in the modern school system.

I can imagine a bunch of school supervisors sitting together in a meeting saying "Let's drug the kids!" It's sad, but it's what happens.

Welcome to SS Welcome

In the US, the APA votes more "mental diseases" into existence every year. And they are also in charge of the APA format for papers in a lot of schools...
Glance at this: http://www.encognitive.com/node/892

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-14-2009 10:08 AM
Blano Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Liquid Wrote:Welcome to SS
Thank You ;D

Liquid Wrote:In the US, the APA votes more "mental diseases" into existence every year. And they are also in charge of the APA format for papers in a lot of schools...

That's pretty interesting. I never knew it was a simple and quick voting process to decide whether or not something is a "mental disease". I read somewhere that in the 1960 - 1970s, there were only a few 'mental diseases' created. Now there's a 'mental disease' for every little thing.

<LIFE><!----Insert boring stuff here----></LIFE>
10-14-2009 10:50 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Liquid Wrote:Welcome to SS Welcome

In the US, the APA votes more "mental diseases" into existence every year. And they are also in charge of the APA format for papers in a lot of schools...

From here, it's probably logical to come to the conclusion that some people are misunderstanding what are the differences between different psychological behavior and mental diseases although they could correlate somewhat.

As for the OP's link, I was about to post this for discussion purposes, however I was late to post it on alternet. I'm not typing this up for nothing.

--

We're living in the era of huge level of conformity where the majority of those who have conformed by the demands of adults trying to tell them how to think by the time they are young and think that those who do not conform obviously have an source of an mental problem and it must be diagnosed to try to be fixed in order for the children or teenager to behave dependendantly on what the teacher demands you, society demands you, and the government demands you to do for the school system. The government is earning cash by getting teenagers diagnose these kind of "psychological problem" such as ODD, ADHD, ADD by giving them mentally damaging drugs that changes their way of thinking, the way that hormones changed as observed in the symptom of drugs to fix the ADHD problem which led into breast development, making sure that the teacher tells the students to stay into school without even giving a thought whether school is beneficial to their knowledge development and what could help them gain more knowledge in order to simulate the economy by producing graduates, and earning some bucks off parents who don't send their children or teenagers to public school to pay for public school. The people who have been diagnose to have one of those mental illness are generally highly observance with the knowledge of questioning, and tends not to enjoy following an leader who haven't help them too much blindly as the common people. Teenagers who have been diagnosed to have one do not have an mental illness and their behaviors comes from their decision to rebel while questioning the system.

Just a quote I think up

Independent thinking is dangerous and following the leaders blindly without questioning or even thinking about what they're doing to you is the right thing to do. Many famous and intelligence people grown up with independent thinking and yet the common people still do not support independent behavior unless they're known enough to be an influential people.

ZZZ...
10-15-2009 07:00 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:
Liquid Wrote:Welcome to SS Welcome

From here, it's probably logical to come to the conclusion that some people are misunderstanding what are the differences between different psychological behavior and mental diseases although they could correlate somewhat.

As for the OP's link, I was about to post this for discussion purposes, however I was late to post it on alternet. I'm not typing this up for nothing.

--

We're living in the era of huge level of conformity where the majority of those who have conformed by the demands of adults trying to tell them how to think by the time they are young and think that those who do not conform obviously have an source of an mental problem and it must be diagnosed to try to be fixed in order for the children or teenager to behave dependendantly on what the teacher demands you, society demands you, and the government demands you to do for the school system. The government is earning cash by getting teenagers diagnose these kind of "psychological problem" such as ODD, ADHD, ADD by giving them mentally damaging drugs that changes their way of thinking, the way that hormones changed as observed in the symptom of drugs to fix the ADHD problem which led into breast development, making sure that the teacher tells the students to stay into school without even giving a thought whether school is beneficial to their knowledge development and what could help them gain more knowledge in order to simulate the economy by producing graduates, and earning some bucks off parents who don't send their children or teenagers to public school to pay for public school. The people who have been diagnose to have one of those mental illness are generally highly observance with the knowledge of questioning, and tends not to enjoy following an leader who haven't help them too much blindly as the common people. Teenagers who have been diagnosed to have one do not have an mental illness and their behaviors comes from their decision to rebel while questioning the system.

Just a quote I think up

Independent thinking is dangerous and following the leaders blindly without questioning or even thinking about what they're doing to you is the right thing to do. Many famous and intelligence people grown up with independent thinking and yet the common people still do not support independent behavior unless they're known enough to be an influential people.

Nice Biggrin

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
10-15-2009 09:22 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:It's not a "disorder" to have a different state of mind than someone else.

I rest my case.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-15-2009 09:39 AM
AnAmanda Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Instead of focusing on endless sheets of questions and this about Jane, and that about Kelly, I focus on the sound of birds chirping and the unnerving behavior of docile kids around me. I am Amanda, and I have ADHD.
05-10-2011 05:11 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Schools make up mental diseases so they can blame their failure to educate (aka: make us conform) on the students, instead of facing up to their craptastic "education" system.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
05-11-2011 04:54 AM
DanielNavrotsky Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
RE: How Teenage Rebellion Has Become a Mental Illness

The only reason teenagers rebel is because they are tired of the shitty school system and could care less. What is with these bullshit disorders anyway, if ODD was a real "disorder", everybody would have it. I don't see the need in being a fucking robot to this corrupt fucking government. The day school is closed down, I will celebrate my ass off.
11-19-2011 12:10 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Things like this are why I no longer have any faith in humanity. Are people really too stupid to not use common sense or do they just not give a fuck about what drugs they give to children and what useless institutions that that they force us to go to?

No, this is Patrick.
11-29-2011 12:00 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

People are still bitching about this? *sigh*

ADD, ADHD, ODD and the like are all very real. They are overdiagnosed.
Psychiatry is a brilliant, necessary field of research. Psychiatrists are a bunch of hacks.
If you want a proper diagnosis, go to a psychologist.
Remember, all three of those acronyms have 'disorder' in them. Remind whoever diagnoses you of that fact. If it does not negatively impact your life, it is not a disorder.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
11-29-2011 04:00 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(11-29-2011 04:00 PM)AWOL Wrote:  People are still bitching about this? *sigh*

ADD, ADHD, ODD and the like are all very real. They are overdiagnosed.
Psychiatry is a brilliant, necessary field of research. Psychiatrists are a bunch of hacks.
If you want a proper diagnosis, go to a psychologist.
Remember, all three of those acronyms have 'disorder' in them. Remind whoever diagnoses you of that fact. If it does not negatively impact your life, it is not a disorder.

This.

Nowadays I have cousins telling me they might have ADHD because they can't work on a paper for three hours straight or OCD because they like to keep their room neat. One of my cousins actually has ADHD, when his meds wear off he gets hyper as fuck, can't stop fidgiting, and barely pays attention to anything. He uses this to annoy other people because he thinks it is funny lol

Also, people are so quick to dismiss the field of psychology because of stupid psychologists.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
11-30-2011 04:29 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

I read somewhere that in primitive cultures there is no "teenage rebelion", it's a product of our "civilized" society. I wonder if it has something to do with school system, regarding the fact that there is no school system in primitive cultures....I envy "primitive" cultures....it must be a wonderful feeling...free the whole life!Ahhh.....
12-27-2011 05:50 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

@ Unschool..I really like your "future daughter" Biggrin I would definately raise my children to be non conformists....I repent I wasn't more rebelious when I was a child!
12-27-2011 05:51 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

How come that in most natural tribes there is not such thing as "teenage rebellion"?
The olds respect the young, the young the old and when they don't come along, they just part ways.
It's not that easy in modern society.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
12-27-2011 10:43 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(12-27-2011 10:43 AM)aCol Wrote:  How come that in most natural tribes there is not such thing as "teenage rebellion"?
The olds respect the young, the young the old and when they don't come along, they just part ways.
It's not that easy in modern society.

sup shotgunheart

[Image: glorious666.png]
12-27-2011 12:48 PM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

RE:

(02-02-2008 10:14 PM)Zombie Wrote:  My mom made me take medications most my life, till middle of 2007 and she decided to stop. I remember one medication made me see spiders all over the walls/ceiling/floor and she didn't take me off of them, she didnt care about the fact that I was hallucinating, she only worried about the medication not working. Thats another reason for me to hate this bigoted/psychotic family. All they care about is looking good and normal, my mom makes me dress preppy and wants me to have normal preppy friends. First thing I'm asked when I make a friend is "Are they Christians!?!" I'm lingering off topic, but... yeah.

Your mom does that and calls herself a Christian? Noo Ask her who Jesus hung with. Seriously- ask her if he was bffs with the Pharisees, the cool lawmakers who were supposedly closest to God, or fishermen, tax collectors, and whores. Ask her about the lineage listed at the beginning of Matthew- Jesus was of the line of David, sure, but through Solomon and Rehoboam, who made a total mess of Israel. Ask her about Solomon's worship of foreign idols. Most of the women listed were degenerate whores- Tamar, for instance, had sex with her own father-in-law. Ask her about those people, then ask her if she still has a reason to consider herself above others.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
12-27-2011 01:37 PM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

(04-20-2012 12:32 PM)yoladanda8802 Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

It's great to see the forums back online! Since the establishment of the Forum since I have been its members really looking forward to sharing and learning some more about my
favorite things.

The site looks great and let me know if you need my help at all with forum moderation.

Spam much? I cant report cuz im on mobile

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
04-20-2012 12:36 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Teenage rebellion doesn't exist in more primal cultures because at the first sign of puberty, childhood ends and adult status and responsibilities are conferred. In our culture, we treat people who have already gone through their puberty like overgrown children.

@silverfang1977
04-21-2012 04:54 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(11-30-2011 04:29 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Also, people are so quick to dismiss the field of psychology because of stupid psychologists.

This.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012 05:25 AM by Miller0700.)
04-21-2012 05:25 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(04-21-2012 05:25 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
(11-30-2011 04:29 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Also, people are so quick to dismiss the field of psychology because of stupid psychologists.

This.

This *2.

I study Psychology now, and to be honest some of the studies are complete bullshit. There are just too many extraneous variables unaccounted for and "pseudo-proof."
I love Psychology but some people just ruin it. Some kid took Psychology classes so he knows when people are lying all the time...
This alone is enough to convince you. And this is why some people call Psychology a bullshit science.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
04-21-2012 03:33 PM
Endeavourer Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Yeah, apparently it's never the system's problem. It's always the ones in it. Blame the people, not the system... EVER!!! PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF *takes deep breath* FFFFFFFFFFF
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2012 04:38 AM by Endeavourer.)
05-13-2012 04:38 AM
IanBird Offline
Rebel

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Seems like in English, every time we get to write, I pick topics about psychatric drugs, youth rights, my experience with adderall and stuff..These drugs need to be gone. They don't help.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012 12:08 AM by IanBird.)
09-14-2012 12:08 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

It's either classified as a mental illness or often, as a sign of immaturity and product of raging hormones.

Hormones is pretty much a catch-all term for teenagers doing things others don't like.
09-14-2012 12:06 PM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

I like science a fair bit, but sometimes it seems like a total retard has written a sentence, and pretended to test it. How can anyone think medication is the solution to everything? Seriously, a doctor can solve everything with pills, drinking plenty of fluids and not eating fatty or spicy foods. They seriously piss me off. Doctors are hell bent on making everyone's life a misery, or at least making us a society of conformist idiots. Have you noticed how schools promote "independant learning", which basically means doing a practical or this. They never want to teach us, just to do nothing except BRAINWASH US!

Sorry, I'm in a rant mood right now (could be mood swings, or a twisty train of though. Either one)
09-17-2012 06:24 AM
Tsukarekitta Offline
Disowned

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Like the article said, the "medicine" makes people more compliant. I've been diagnosed as Depressed and prescribed some pills, because my issues with my parents and school was driving me insane. Half the time when I took the pills, I didn't even remember what happened afterward. Eventually I realized that stupid shit like school, bullying, and shitty parents shouldn't get me down, and decided to start flushing the meds and helping myself. I feel significantly better, but it doesn't change the fact that there's others like me in a bad situation. The fact that our opinions have become "illnesses" is not puke-worthy, it's plague worthy. I read that article and felt the sudden urge to shit on a supporting psychiatrist's foot and throw up on their face. That wouldn't really help the problem, but it'd certainly make me feel better.
12-17-2012 06:05 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)
RE:

Quote:ODD = Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Psychologist Bruce Levine talks this "ODD" in his video called "my story"

He basically says it is a bunch of crap.

His video is one of the best I have seen in recent years.
He was able to jump thru the hoops to get his graduate as a psychologist, now he criticizes the system.

You can find links to the video and more about him here

http://www.eqi.org/bruce_levine.htm

When I told her about Bruce a good friend of mine said "I think I just found a new favorite psychologist"
06-14-2013 07:13 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , xcriteria , tangled
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Always good to find more sensible psychologists.

* SoulRiser adds to list

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-15-2013 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

can i see this list? ha ha if it exists, id really like to see it, seriously - if it doesnt exist, there is a need for one.

im thinking we need to get some official "psychologists" to speak out against the no hugging rules.

anyone else agree?
06-16-2013 05:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Well I meant my to-do list, so I remember to do more in-depth research when I have more time for that sort of thing, haha.

Peter Gray and a couple of others that have articles published in SS's articles section are the only others I know of.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-16-2013 07:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Truancy and Illness Lady A 8 3,478 02-20-2017 10:49 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  MIght get Sent to a Mental Hospital brigs1 10 9,724 01-20-2017 10:27 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Real mental illness vs "Being a Teen" James Comey 9 5,297 02-01-2014 11:01 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Teenage Sexuality in the Netherlands Desu 4 2,709 11-16-2011 01:13 AM
Last Post: UnschoolShqiponjë
  Teenage angst LOON_ATTIC 12 6,450 10-19-2011 12:15 PM
Last Post: Miller0700