RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Mandatory Schooling Constitutional?
Shadowpool13 Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Is Mandatory Schooling Constitutional?

Quote:Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Doesn't look that way. . . Noo

The only death is ignorance.
01-30-2008 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

From what you quoted, no. But it IS unconstitutional. And I'm wondering if that would hold up in court.
01-30-2008 10:06 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I don't think most people consider mandatory schooling slavery or servitude.
01-30-2008 10:06 AM
Shadowpool13 Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

KittyKatBlack Wrote:I don't think most people consider mandatory schooling slavery or servitude.

Because they can't read?

Quote:Servitude:
A. A state of subjection to an owner or master.
B. Lack of personal freedom, as to act as one chooses.
2. Forced labor imposed as a punishment for crime: penal servitude in labor camps.
3. Law. A right that grants use of another's property.

The only death is ignorance.
01-30-2008 10:12 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

If that's also in the big C, we may have a case. But if it just says slavery, they probably meant slavery specifically away from education.
01-30-2008 10:13 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

sure the govt and see what happens

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
01-30-2008 10:17 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

The government doesn't give shit about the Constitution,

Had to move on. Account is dead.
01-30-2008 10:26 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

hm then*insert usual renagade comment here* to washington dc

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
01-30-2008 10:27 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Shadowpool13 Wrote:
KittyKatBlack Wrote:I don't think most people consider mandatory schooling slavery or servitude.

Because they can't read?

Quote:Servitude:
A. A state of subjection to an owner or master.
B. Lack of personal freedom, as to act as one chooses.
2. Forced labor imposed as a punishment for crime: penal servitude in labor camps.
3. Law. A right that grants use of another's property.

No, probably because the elastic clause:

"Congress shall have the power to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution...powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States."

Combined with the tenth admendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The case can therefore be made that its both necessary and proper to 'educate' as many children as possible, and to establish tax funded schools for such 'education'. And since the Federal government has no laws regarding school attendence (they only deal with federal funding), the states are well within their right to make up thier own laws. This is why states have different quality schools, different curriculums, and varing truancy laws.
01-30-2008 11:06 AM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Does that mean that if individual states wanted to repeal compulsory education, they could?

@silverfang1977
01-30-2008 12:29 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

OmegaWolf747 Wrote:Does that mean that if individual states wanted to repeal compulsory education, they could?

Yes, but its highly unlikely that they would. Education is a hot topic both on the federal and state level. And no politician in their right mind is going to get rid of compulsory schooling. Constituents, particularly in the middlle class, would throw a fit. It would kill his career.
01-31-2008 02:35 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

In a way they already have with the increase in "home-school" programs. Under No Child Left Behind a school is penalized for students who drop out, but if they show the students are in another school program (such as a home-school program) then they don't lose as much funding. The whole thing is driven by funding. Every parent wants their kid to get their share and not be labeled a loser.

[Image: aV24PoDS.jpg]
02-01-2008 05:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mandatory community service .Manicrose. 23 19,288 06-02-2017 03:39 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Mandatory ID Check HSHARK 7 4,089 10-24-2016 07:26 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
Sad Mandatory introduction to online learning class Sunbourn 2 3,272 01-06-2014 04:09 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Foreign Language shouldn't be mandatory. fish20 11 7,908 01-30-2012 07:18 AM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Gym Class Mandatory? amizon 22 4,271 03-09-2008 11:51 AM
Last Post: Blipo