RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hugs and grades
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
hugs and grades

so me and my gf were talking today,and she said right after the teachers told us to stop hugging in the hallways
and we did stop,her grades dropped and so did my grades.this is a very interesting correlation.she said that it was kinda like positive reinforcement to her,and i have to agree since they made me happy and i'm more willing to do work if i'm happy.
so i'm thinking of writing a paper on how hugs are good for mental health and help with doing better in school,then i would show it to all the teachers and the principals and counciler,and get a petition of all the students to change this rule.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Hugs and Education

One thing I like about South America is that you can still give kids hugs. In the USA, England, and I think Australia, it is prohibited to give a child a hug, even a crying child.

Imagine a child is crying and goes to someone for a hug. Then that person rejects them.

What does this to do a child? How does it affect the child's brain chemistry? His or her sense of security? Are there long term effects of not giving children hugs? I believe there are. I believe the countries that have made hugging children illegal are becoming more and more cold and inhumane. The children turn into adults who are more and more insecure on a deep level and they try to compensate in all kinds of ways. But there is nothing that can take the place of a simple hug when it comes to emotional security.
http://eqi.org/hugs.htm
i just found this,it is very true.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 12:35 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

i'm thinking of reporting to any media that will show it,and cause a huge uproar about this,maybe then the schools will
reconsider.

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 12:38 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

"I feel it is crazy," said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

"I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend," she said.

Megan's mother, Melissa Coulter, said the embraces weren't even real hugs — just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

"We don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want her to get in more trouble," Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

"I'm just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn't be punishing us for hugs," Megan said.
http://eqi.org/hugs8.htm
Quote:It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."
holy shit what the fuck is wrong with people.

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 12:39 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

don't do it on just hugs do it on healthy relationships.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
01-30-2008 01:07 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

i'm going to do it and if the school ignores it,then i will report it to the media.
anybody who finds websites that i could use please post them in this thread
tonight i'm gathering up websites,books,and looking for papers on hugs,then after i have read everything
i will start working on the paper,i will keep telling my progress.i feel that something big is going to happen
because of this,and i'm not kidding because i'm going to use every once of strength i have on this.
i will do everything in my power to make sure this gets the medias attention.so if i do happen to change
the school rules and other schools follow,then we would make progress,and could do something like this again to
change the schools.

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 01:20 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

this is what i have for the title
HUGS?
Are They Good?Bad?Or Are The Teachers Jealous Because They Don't Get Any?
i have changed it to
HUGS?
Do They Belong In Schools?

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 01:28 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

You do realize that the way you're presenting it here makes you seem like you're whining and bending the truth, right?

Many noobs would dismiss the correlation you found between hugging and grades as an excuse or some state of mind that you're manufacturing on your own out of which you need to "snap." They may also say that this is proof that intimate relationships are bad because they make you dependant on each other. This is all bullshit, of course, but most of the people where you live (and in general, it seems unfortunately,) are noobs and won't support you unless you present it more moderately.

That said, I guess you could try this. When it fails to help and your parents yell at you to stop having a girlfriend because it's bad, I suggest that you two stop communicating with each other, care even less about school and let your grades drop more; that would be really funny.
01-30-2008 01:32 PM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Will Wrote:You do realize that the way you're presenting it here makes you seem like you're whining and bending the truth, right?

Many noobs would dismiss the correlation you found between hugging and grades as an excuse or some state of mind that you're manufacturing on your own out of which you need to "snap." They may also say that this is proof that intimate relationships are bad because they make you dependant on each other. This is all bullshit, of course, but most of the people where you live (and in general, it seems unfortunately,) are noobs and won't support you unless you present it more moderately.

That said, I guess you could try this. When it fails to help and your parents yell at you to stop having a girlfriend because it's bad, I suggest that you two stop communicating with each other, care even less about school and let your grades drop more; that would be really funny.
well the way i'm presenting it now is because i'm merely thinking,brainstorming,and not actually presenting opposite of what you
said,many ideas at first are like this they're dissorganized thoughts that can be organized in to a presentable way,and if i can write it good enough and get many people to back it up such aspsychologists,social workers,universities,and common people.
people may not dismiss it as much(yes it's seems like i'm dreaming here,but if you never try anything you will never accomplish anything)look at MLK,or Ghandi what they did may have seemed impossible at first but they never stopped and eventually they succeeded,and many others have done things that seemed impossible at first but they accomplished what they were trying to do.thanx for the
criticism it helped me.please if you think something needs to be corrected,say so it is very helpful
i think i will change the title to HUGS?do they belong in schools?
anybody who wishes to criticize me please do.

FACTS OF LIFE:
4.most people are idiots
01-30-2008 01:43 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

You already know that most people will just dismiss what you say as stupid. If you make it satirical, people will not be so afraid of reading it.
01-30-2008 04:48 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I think you should do it. But, don't be surprised if the school doesn't do anything about it, or even punishes you. The main reason they have that "no hugs" rule is so that people can't sue them if someone got "inappropriately touched" against their will while at school. (I wonder how often that ever happens?)

But I still think you should do it, especially to get the attention of everyone who still has some sense in their heads. Get them to help you. Take it to the press if you have to.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-31-2008 05:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Group Hugs Kartini 11 2,485 03-23-2015 01:58 PM
Last Post: Ky