RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious persecution alive and well..
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Religious persecution alive and well..

And no, I'm not talking about persecution towards Jews or Muslims, though that's alive and well too. I'm talking about persecution towards Mormons! People don't talk about it outside of my church, the media just ignores it 90% of the time! (Sometimes I think they're even a part of it.)

Especially with more Mormons in the public eye these days, (Mitt Romney, etc.) I'm having a hard time avoiding the hatred, the lies, the cruelty. Thankfully I live in a strongly Mormon community so the only people who trash on Mormons around here are well, REALLY STUPID to be honest, and have a hard time making any one really feel bad because no one's taking them seriously. But to take a trip to Temple Square, or go see the Manti pageant, and see people protesting against my church? AGAINST ME? With these blatant lies and false accusations trying to tear us down, and then pretending to be under the banner of love, truth, and righteousness, pretending to be spreading Christ's message? Christ did not preach that we should tear down; we're supposed to build up.

I can't even read an article or video about Mitt Romney or the passing of Gordon B. Hinckley without being bombarded with vile, hurtful lies. I never expected that I would be the type of person to let this type of thing bother me, but there's so much of it it's really starting to get under my skin. What really irks me are those who say the don't hate Mormons, just Mormonism. Oh okay sure, you hate and attack a large amount of what we think, feel, and do, but you don't hate us at all.

The biggest thing is, people out there who spend there time and effort trying to tear down the LDS church, you have better things to do with your time. We aren't hurting people, (unlike many Anti-Mormons), we actually as a church do a lot of good things. So go get a life, start a homeless shelter, do something that truly builds good things. You're not the religious police. It is not your job to tear away our peace because you disagree with the place from which we receive it--which, ironically, is from God and Jesus Christ, the place you proclaim to find your own peace.

*sigh* Tirade over. I just wish at least that people would talk about this in the media, specifically in a way that CONDEMNS it. I mean, Mike Huckabee always has these little wisecracks digging at Romney's faith ("don't Mormons believe Jesus and the Devil are brothers?"), and people don't hate him for it, don't call him a bigot. He's actually spoken at the Southern Baptist Convention in Salt Lake City, 1998--basically a bunch of baptists got together and went door-to-door preaching against the LDS church. That's so messed up! Just because I disagree with Islam, doesn't mean I hand-out anti-Muslim pamphlets outside of their mosques!

Am I exaggerating, do you think? Since I feel like a bit of a victim here?

P.S. it frightens me that not only is Mike Huckabee in with the Southern Baptist Convention, John McCain usually attends a baptist church that's part of the convention too! My mind is bubbling with conspiracy theories...

P.P.S. Check out this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Mormonism, especially part 3.4. Scary.

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will
these are the isolate, slow faults
that kill, that kill, that kill

Elm - Sylvia Plath
02-03-2008 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I honestly have no idea about any of this, but if what you said is right, it's wrong.

...But I'm sorry, the South Park episode was fucking hilarious.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-03-2008 10:59 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i agree with darthmat

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-04-2008 02:16 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

<---------- Is currently working with Anonymous to take down Scientology. I don't think I can say much about this topic.

K
S
02-04-2008 05:09 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Going after Scientology is just as bad.

Leave them alone.
02-04-2008 05:39 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

there a cult

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-04-2008 05:59 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

We know that, but instead of pushing them into their persecution complex we should try to reason with them.
02-04-2008 06:05 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:Going after Scientology is just as bad.

Leave them alone.
Lol. If they quit trying to censor free speech, then we'll talk. And after they stop killing their members. And once they quit defrauding them of hundreds of thousands of dollars, holding them hostage, forcing them to get abortions, etc. Oh, and can you tell them to quit attacking Anonymous at random while you're at it? Plus they really should stop trying to infiltrate the government to halt investigations into them and to get them tax-exempt status. And cease framing critics of bomb and assassination threats. And the constant slander of critics ceasing would be nice too. Plus the intimidation by legal team is a pain in the ass too.

K
S
02-04-2008 06:16 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

KittyKatBlack Wrote:We know that, but instead of pushing them into their persecution complex we should try to reason with them.
Yeah. Reasoning was tried long ago. It was met with legal threats and attempts to destroy the lives of those who criticized Scientology. Now we're just going in guns a blazin' to take those fuckers down.

K
S
02-04-2008 06:17 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

*gets rifle* lets do it

02-04-2008 06:19 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Umm...No. We're not killing people. We're exposing them to the media so they get ridiculed into non-existence.

K
S
02-04-2008 06:21 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Attacking stupid ideas = good.
Attacking actual people = bad.

With that said, every religion probably has its share of stupid ideas, but most (all?) probably have some good ones too. So attacking the entire thing is a bit... well, stupid. Unless it does waaay more harm than good. Or something. I'm gonna shut up now Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-04-2008 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Oh, trust me, it does a lot more good than bad. We're attacking the higher-ups who profit from all this shit. The people who are lower down catch some flak too, but that's just unavoidable. And it's nothing life ruining. We take down their OSA types(the guys who attack us at random and try infiltrating us), and work on media exposure.

K
S
02-04-2008 08:00 AM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Scientology "attacking" is slightly more excusable, if only because Scientology seems to actually break the law as a part of it's religion, and instructs followers to do so. Don't know much about Scientology, but a lot of its attackers are saying, we need to take this down because they're breaking the law and doing really wrong things. A lot of Mormonism attackers say, we need to take this down because they're leading people astray from what we believe is the "truth". That said, the people who write that stuff like "Scientology Exposed" are annoying as heck. You can't protect people from believing lies, just prosecute the liars if they're legally accountable.

Something I neglected to mention is, obviously I'm not one of those types who wants people like, prosecuted for disliking the Mormon church. I just wish more people would act like it's unacceptable, instead of just excusing it because "well, it is a pretty weird religion I guess"

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
02-04-2008 10:28 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Instead of attacking religions/cults (unless they're really hurting people), people should rather tell others how to spot bullshit. Like this: http://logicalfallacies.info/

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-04-2008 10:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

i still think somebody should assassinate pat robertson

02-04-2008 10:33 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

And a pop-fly out into left field...

K
S
02-04-2008 10:48 AM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The problem with Christians who protest against Mormons, or any other religion for that sake, is that they always want to win, to have ace. And this is so sad, because most Christian churches today have lost so much track of what Jesus/the Apostles originally intended in the Bible. And trust me, if it isn't the Mormon's it's always some one else. I just don't like the fact that Christians are the ones persecuting.. it's ironic.
02-05-2008 05:37 PM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Xylophone Wrote:The problem with Christians who protest against Mormons, or any other religion for that sake, is that they always want to win, to have ace. And this is so sad, because most Christian churches today have lost so much track of what Jesus/the Apostles originally intended in the Bible. And trust me, if it isn't the Mormon's it's always some one else. I just don't like the fact that Christians are the ones persecuting.. it's ironic.

High five! Smile

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
02-05-2008 05:41 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

It just goes to show you human nature, it's not pretty.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-06-2008 08:06 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey, that's a great site, SoulRiser! Thank you for sharing...

Oh, yeah, and the Muslims are so much more considerate of other faiths!

[Image: aV4xjkr.jpg]
02-06-2008 01:28 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Re: Religious persecution alive and well..

Most people aren't considerate. We've got our fundamentalists, they've got their radical suicide bombers.
And we've got George Bush too.
On second thought, I think they are more considerate. Razz

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-14-2008 03:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If something was never alive, is it dead? Asder Miller 20 14,331 02-07-2013 05:01 AM
Last Post: Miller0700
  You were dead and alive millions of times before. Reptorian 30 12,916 08-25-2012 01:17 PM
Last Post: IamNoone
  If Einstein were still alive? somewhathyphy(: 13 4,601 04-02-2009 02:04 PM
Last Post: Leon Kinotolian