RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Creative Process: I
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
The Creative Process: I

Did you think this forum was all but finished? Its not friends. Think of it as a graveyard in which you pass through whilst minding your own business. BOOM. An arm outstretching from the soil pulls you to the ground.

Well this isn't so dramatic. Yet here we are.

If this were a classroom and I were to ask you this question....how would you respond? I'd imagine it would be anxiously and full of uncertainty, "its thinking or doing something no one has ever done before." I would say yes. Of course it is; the man who first took a piece of charcoal up and etched his portrait in stone can't really be defined as anything but creative. But that's not all creativity is. What was just described is originality and one doesn't have to be original to be creative. Things like clothing were (we believe) invented by humans almost simultaneously all around the world. Which one of those early humans were creative? The answer is all of them.

Creativity is more than just being original, its emotion, its going beyond the first perception, its problem solving, its problem causing. If one were to really make an idealized and general statement; anything and everything ever to happen has been creative!

Although I personally believe that, I also am here for a purpose. To try and help understand and teach how to harness this already existing creative spirit into a tamed beast for one to use to their own benefit. So lets dissect it. The way one is creative, the way one actually imagines something. Well to do this we have to think of how something can be imagined. There needs to be a base. There is a very famous but perhaps pessimistic statement, "We are where we came from." I don't believe a child comes into this world imagining Wizards and Dragons. There needs to be a base set of information in which we can perceive before we can understand. Man saw things they could not understand and then from that base information they enviously wished that they could harness the power of lightning themselves. Voila. Perception. The creative process begins.

After perception comes a state that I cannot fully explain because it varies in every single individual. I call this process. Incubation. We see a new animal for the first time, we are now perceiving it. And in that instant where the data is collected, our mind stores it and then begins formulating our next reaction. I completely believe that while this process is occurring ...everything that we are in that moment is then expressed in our understanding of our perception. What I mean is that someone who has spent their entire lives riding horses looks at a zebra for the first time and will be more likely to wonder if they could ride the zebra whilst someone who has never experienced an animal in which they could ride may not come to that question as quickly. That subconscious thought process is incubation. Its beautiful. Because since no one has ever lived and perceived the world exactly as you have...it comes to the point in which your perception of something as simple as uses of a paperclip may be completely and entirely different than the entire worlds perception.

Once you have perceived the stimulus, and then incubated it within everything that makes you who you are; you then have a Reactive Response. It may be to scream out in agony, find it noteworthy, create a story out of it...whatever. But the important thing to realize is that you do in fact actualize it and are able to express it in some way if you should choose. Once you actualize it there is a final step in this process that I like to call; Validation. In which you try and discern if your thought is in fact valid. For example, you decide that you would look amazing in red. The next thought you have is if you would really look good in red, your cheeks may look too rosy or perhaps you have bad ache and don't want to accentuate that trait. The point is that every thought has some sort of validation.

To Review:
Perception
Incubation
Reactive Response
Validation

I will end my overview on the very basics of the creative process right here. The next section I put up will be entitled. The Creative Process: II How to Write Creatively

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
02-02-2010 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Re: The Creative Process: I

To those of you who have never seen one of these topics...this is how you complete an assignment and participate with the class....Just reply to this topic with whatever assignment I asked. Do this at whatever time and speed you wish...I will answer any and all questions of course.

For homework, I would have you now list down 15 ways you can use a paperclip. You should notice that as you do this; you will be almost forced to draw upon your past experiences. Things you have seen or done or heard of.

And then once you finish making that first list. I want you to think of and list 15 ways you can't use a paperclip. You will find yourself having an easier time writing this; and after you write some you will notice yourself thinking...Wait, can I use a paperclip that way?...That would be you validating your reactive response. The reason you didn't ask those questions while you wrote down the ways that paper clips can be used, is because your mostly drawing from ideas that you have already validated.

02-02-2010 07:09 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

You can use a paperclip:
  • to paint little dots
  • as an earring (or maybe as a barrette but it might pull your hair)
  • to close a circuit
  • to hold papers together =P
  • to hold more paperclips =P
  • to hold together a bracelet with a broken clasp
  • to poke holes in clay beads
  • to hold down a helium balloon
  • to un-stick glue or paint tubes
  • to scratch things into your desk
  • to stand up paper dolls
  • to replace a zipper pull
  • to pull elastic through a waistband for pyjamas or something like that
  • to hang necklaces on a bulletin board (you hold the paperclip with a thumbtack)
  • as a bookmark[/list:u]

My mind seems to be on jewelery today even though I don't wear it?

You can't use a paperclip:
    • as food
    • to hold water
    • to clean wounds
    • to hang a mirror
    • as printer ink
    • to fix a bridge
    • to dig a flowerbed
    • to erase pencil
    • to sharpen skates
    • to play baseball
    • to drive to school
    • to cast spells
    • as an umbrella
    • as an anchor for a boat
    • to take hostages[/list:u]

I found this just as hard because I had to keep taking things off. One of these days I'm going to wrap a present with paperclips just to say I did it...

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
02-02-2010 12:05 PM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

- Stop imitating school with fucking busywork.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
02-02-2010 12:46 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

That is a brilliant answer Ceiling Cat; by taking the assignment and mocking it you prove the point that was in essence being proved by the work. You saw the stimulus, which is the homework assignment in this instance. And then your own subconscious incubation helps you actualize the jaded schizoid contrition of past negative experience within the education system. Finally you validated your thought process by considering the attention it would gain you in respect to your very low self esteem.

Next time I advise interpreting the lecture less literally....it makes you look like an attention seeking jackass.

02-02-2010 01:02 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

You can...
-Pick locks with them
-Stab people in the eye with them
-Make blowdarts out of them
-form them into a chain and cheat at that old game Barrel Full of Monkeys
-Poke holes in the lid of a jar to catch poison bugs in so that you can use the poison for your blowdarts
-Short out an electrical outlet (gloves recommended)
-Scratch people
-Annoy people by scratching them against chalkboards
-Dig a splinter out of your finger
-Twist it into the shape of a rifle and put it into the hands of a pacifist history professor's Captain Picard action figure to irritate them
-Put them in food to choke people
-Improvised barbed wire
-Dental tools (heavy Novocaine recommended)
-Melt them down and make a gun
-Hold papers together if you're feeling boring

You can't...
-Hold papers together very securely
-Scratch through glass
-Pick the locks on our dorm rooms
-Transport water over long distances
-Shave
-Smuggle things through sensitive metal detectors
-Give a hemophiliac a back scratch
-Find Osama bin Laden
-Stab somebody wearing thick clothing
-Dig a hole in sand
-Hold paper together in a pool of salt water
-Make a necklace that doesn't make you look like a cheap white wannabe pimp
-Bend a single clip into a swastika without breaking it
-Play golf with anything larger than a BB
-Perform a colonoscopy

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-05-2010 04:01 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Bump.

Vatman Wrote:That is a brilliant answer Ceiling Cat; by taking the assignment and mocking it you prove the point that was in essence being proved by the work. You saw the stimulus, which is the homework assignment in this instance. And then your own subconscious incubation helps you actualize the jaded schizoid contrition of past negative experience within the education system. Finally you validated your thought process by considering the attention it would gain you in respect to your very low self esteem.

Next time I advise interpreting the lecture less literally....it makes you look like an attention seeking jackass.

Awesome reply, Vatty. Smile

Now, this is late and all, but I am deciding to do the homework. I didn't really see what the others did, and if so, I forgot.

Jobs and things you can do with a paperclip.
1. Food source
2. Tongue holder
3. Eye poker
4. Sewage Cleaner
5. Toothbrush
6. Q tip
7. Ink Pen
8. Weaponry
9. Carving Tool
10. Tongue Ring
11. Missing Finger Replacement
12. Dental Technology
13. Wrist Slitter
14. Guitar Pick
15. Spacebar Key Replacement

What can't be done with a paperclip.

Well, the thing is- you can do ANYTHING with a paperclip!
03-27-2010 12:01 PM
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Uses for paperclips:
1. Poking small holes in things such as bits of paper or leaves to amuse ones self while brainstorming
2. Painting small designs
3. Decorate sand castles with
4. To scrape nail polish off of finger nails
5. TO jab annoying people
6. To make small designs in still soft clay
7. Earrings
8. To scrape was off of a surfboard
9. To hold together a broken necklace or bracelet
10. To prevent little kids by playing video games by scratching the disc surface
11. Tiny metal chopsticks
12. To scrape cookies that have been burned and have become stuck on the cookie sheet
13. To pierce ears and other not-so sensitive body parts
14. To attach to the end of your fingers and pretend like you have clays
15. Can be used to carve pentegrams and other useful symbols into desks and other items that are seen by a great many of people

Things that cannot be made/accomplished with paperclips:
1. Weight loss
2. To record an album with
3. To fly around on
4. To fry an egg
5. To put out the sun
6. To medicate someone
7. To take as a Calcium supplement and have to same results be produced
8. As far as I know, you can not use them to access the internet
9. As a life saving floatation device
10. As a fuel source for any type of car we currently have
11. Transport large quantities of water at once
12. Air tight storage containers
13. Swimming Goggles
14. A freezer
15. A microscope

"I'm about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct."
The last words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702
10-13-2010 12:50 PM
itsurgrlcass Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

haha did i give you weightloss? X)

It's just chemicals.
10-13-2010 02:07 PM
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

itsurgrlcass Wrote:haha did i give you weightloss? X)
I dont think so, I did it, then you sent them to me XP I guess great minds think alike. I just went back and read what I wrote. I am more than I little confused by what I meant for number 5. Oops Razz Possibly o block the sun?

"I'm about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct."
The last words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702
10-14-2010 09:05 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

You Can:
-make interesting brush strokes with them.
-prick your finger, to fingerpaint with blood. (It turns into an awful light brown, however.
-Make a rope to hold up a hamster's stubborn waterbottle.
-clean out your fingernails
-Make a ring
-Sculpt
-cut a design of a smiley face on your leg. (Never done this, though it would be awesome)
-Make into a chain and put it on a christmas tree.
-Put a tiny bowtie on it. No real reason too, only for the lulz.
-Wear it as a necklace

You Can't:
-Use it to fly
-Use it to construct additional pylons
-Teach it to speak
-(legally) murder someone with it.
-potty train it
-use it for it's intended purpose

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
10-14-2010 09:38 AM
itsurgrlcass Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

ModestMusic Wrote:
itsurgrlcass Wrote:haha did i give you weightloss? X)
I dont think so, I did it, then you sent them to me XP I guess great minds think alike. I just went back and read what I wrote. I am more than I little confused by what I meant for number 5. Oops Razz Possibly o block the sun?

horray for great minds!! ^_^

It's just chemicals.
10-14-2010 11:46 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Creativity to me is to take preexisting materials and make something exclusively unique with it.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
10-14-2010 11:50 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Totally agree, if I were to make a TL DR version of the OP...it would be your post.

10-14-2010 01:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is the Creative Writing Forum??!?!?! Vatman 23 11,309 10-09-2010 12:34 PM
Last Post: ModestMusic