RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flyers advertising ss
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: Flyers advertising ss

Quote:Do I have permission to use some of these posters?

That was kind of the whole point of us posting them, I think Biggrin

Quote:I like putting the "in Hell" on its own line like you did, and I have some ideas for cleaning it up; give me the source.

The "source" is a 12MB Photoshop file. I can't send that anywhere on my connection, it would cost too much. I'll make those changes you suggested though. Maybe that'll leave enough space at the end for me to put the SS logo in as well. What I could send you though is larger versions of "hell" and "ice cream" with effects on, if you want?

Quote:Is there some important reason why you changed the font? If not, I'll probably want you to redo the ice cream effect on a different font once I'm done.

I just used the first font Photoshop had selected... didn't bother changing it. But I can redo that effect on any font.

Quote:Take this pic, by Kirby: http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs5/f/2006/3 ... cKirby.png

That link is thoroughly broken. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-21-2008 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Shit. ><

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-22-2008 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
Not very good but...

Yeh...I did it in SS style - light text on dark background.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
03-15-2008 01:37 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

.odt ... what program do I open that with?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-15-2008 04:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I don't really like it. First, the layout looks sloppy, but more importantly, I think any text that we put on the flyer has to be concise, elegant and very clear.
SoulRiser Wrote:.odt ... what program do I open that with?
OpenOffice
03-15-2008 05:29 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:.odt ... what program do I open that with?

I did warn you guys it was kinda crappy.

Yeh, Open Office.

http://suite-2008.com/index.asp?aff=007 ... QwodoRTsCw

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
03-15-2008 06:22 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I started making a postcard design months ago... I tried working on it more, but everything I've tried somehow doesn't fit. Maybe there should be more images rather than just text, even if it's a sketch of an unhappy student at a desk or something.

Also, the back should have a design... but maybe that could be a couple of paragraphs of small text that describes what school survival is about, or some kind of inspirational quotes.

(There are places online that offer cheap printing of color glossy 4x6" cards... that's the medium I have in mind.)

[attachment=0]
04-26-2008 02:12 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

I think, from now on, whenever SS is advertised, this needs to either be summarized or printed out or something, as long as the message gets across.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-26-2008 02:22 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, I know it sucks. I can create a good concept for an image, but when it comes to me and photo editing.... you get the point.

04-26-2008 04:37 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I have a collection of things some people have said about SS (mainly the forums). They'd make amusing flyers.

Quote:Welcome to SS, the greatest place on earth. The only place where you can sell your soul, proclaim to be god, debate about anything and everything, and do pretty much whatever you want. The only requirement is that you leave your sanity at the door. - Suicidal-kun

Quote:Welcome to the realm of the lost, the crazy, the idealists, the pessimists, the lovers, the fighters, the revolutionaries, the rebels, the non-conformists, the non-conformist non-conformists, the fools, the geniuses, the happy, the sad. I just like to think of SS as the gray. Not annoyingly white. Inexperienced, idealistic to the point of stupidity, and rule-following. Not evilly black. Not the sadistic, the psychopaths. But just enough black to make us the best to comment on whatever problems arise. We've seen both sides of the coin.
Anyways, welcome. We're here to support each other through the hellstorm called youth.
- Anonymous1.0

Quote:I don't even hate my school anymore (besides a few annoyances) but this place is still worth coming to. Even in the little time that I posted here, it was obvious that in comparison with other forums, the people on here have a drastically higher maturity level.

It's strange, because in all honesty, I didn't expect to find much intelligence on a board that I discovered from googling the words "I hate school."
-Hayley44

Hidden stuff:
04-27-2008 05:53 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I wish I was that quotable.

Ahh well, sometime life throws you a curve ball and it hits you in the face. Funny thing is, I've never played baseball.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-27-2008 07:15 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

I like this one
SoulRiser Wrote:I didn't expect to find much intelligence on a board that I discovered from googling the words "I hate school."
I'll make something out of it soon.
04-28-2008 03:52 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Here's something.

I think it's too much text.

How about a quote being in a speech bubble, with a sketched or vector cartoon of an unhappy student?

Some kind of stylized unhappy student image would help a lot. Contrasted with a happy one reading SS?

Anyone with drawing or vector illustration skills?
04-28-2008 05:46 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

xcriteria Wrote:Here's something.

I think it's too much text.

How about a quote being in a speech bubble, with a sketched or vector cartoon of an unhappy student?

Some kind of stylized unhappy student image would help a lot. Contrasted with a happy one reading SS?

Anyone with drawing or vector illustration skills?
I don't think the white text in the middle is necessary. Also, it'll be more interesting if you make it less symmetrical.
04-28-2008 08:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Black backgrounds are gonna be a bit hard for most people to print, too.

Hidden stuff:
04-28-2008 10:23 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Black backgrounds are gonna be a bit hard for most people to print, too.
Yeah I know... the idea is a postcard design; online places will print 1000 full color cards (double sided) for $50 or so. They are almost too slick for SS, but they are more permanent than a printout. Or they could be silkscreened on black paper. Smile

But a white-background design would be ideal for printing, definitely.

Will Wrote:I don't think the white text in the middle is necessary. Also, it'll be more interesting if you make it less symmetrical.
Yeah, some graphic in place of the text is what I'm thinking. If it was a 2-sided postcard, the SS intro or quotes or some such text could go on the back.
04-28-2008 01:33 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

We really need something like this whenever we advertise SS.

"We aren't anti-education. We are anti-school."

04-29-2008 12:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:We really need something like this whenever we advertise SS.

"We aren't anti-education. We are anti-school."

That's a good point.

Something like:
"Anti-school: NOT anti-education or anti-learning"

"We are" sounds a bit weird though.

Hidden stuff:
04-29-2008 09:10 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Shrug I dunno.
But that point needs to be made, and you all know why. (I hope.)

04-29-2008 10:59 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Black backgrounds are gonna be a bit hard for most people to print, too.
If we're hiring someone else to print them, black backgrounds won't be a problem. Do note that we only have light text and dark background on the website because such a color scheme is easier viewed on monitors; this benefit doesn't apply to paper.
04-30-2008 06:53 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

I think light-on-black is fine for a postcard... it's not like it's a whole essay. The reverse side could be dark-on-light if it has a bunch of text.

Here's a white version, though.

I think the idea of "anti-school, not anti-learning" could be stated in less of a disclaimer kind of way -- more positive instead just anti's. Besides, being anti-coercion and pro-student choice isn't necessarily "anti-school", even though it's a cool term. Like a few sentences, or maybe a collage of positive terms/concepts on one side and negatives on the other.

I added a version with horribly drawn cartoon characters. Need to be done better, but the idea is contrasting unhappy student and happy s.s. visitor.
04-30-2008 07:53 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Highlight "intelligence", reduce the symmetry, and make it less wordy. Here's a very sloppy version to show the changes I suggest.[attachment=0]
04-30-2008 09:06 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Another...
04-30-2008 09:30 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Flyer design... found some clip art.
04-30-2008 10:01 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Variation.
04-30-2008 10:27 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Slight variation of above.
04-30-2008 11:00 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

I sort of like that idea too. It obviously needs to be more concise, and the layout could obviously be improved. The bottom picture should be something like really advanced math or biology.

I'll probably play around with some of these ideas, but I may not add images as I'm mainly into type.

Are you only planning on making postcards? And would you only hand them out as postcards, or would you also post them as small posters?

And how much cheaper would black and white be?
04-30-2008 11:55 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

I want to do all kinds of things.

The sleeping in class one is kind of meant to be a poster. The images should really be custom drawn for this... there's not much suitable clip art online.

Posters/flyers are easier for people to just print out, so a lot of versions can be made easily.

For postcards, black & white is only a couple percent less than full-color, if that. Two-sided isn't much more than single-sided, either. They are the best deal at 1000 copies or more, so it makes sense to refine something really well before ordering. gotprint.com is pretty cheap.
04-30-2008 12:17 PM
waspline Offline
Revolutionary

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I have an idea: can we make the anti- school T-shirts found here in poster form?
10-25-2010 06:51 AM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Might want to check the date of the last post before you bump a two year old thread...

Aside from that, posters of those are probably a good idea.
10-25-2010 08:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Flyers Sanjuro 25 3,867 04-12-2010 06:39 AM
Last Post: aerftghyjk
  School Flyers Anti-School 14 5,205 02-11-2009 10:03 AM
Last Post: Liquid
  Flyers Thread psychopath 5 2,557 01-13-2009 04:16 PM
Last Post: youvebeenthunderstruck
  Advertising in school - No right to complain? KitsuneSefam 13 4,705 09-28-2008 01:56 AM
Last Post: Fire Elf