RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle School.
Inv3rt Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Middle School.

Most of the Alternatives are for High School, I'm extremely pissed off of Middle School.

My mom is to stupid to home school me (Even though I love her Biggrin)

What else Is there for Middle School?
02-23-2008 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: Middle School.

There is internet schooling available, at least for me, in my area- However I refuse to use it at the moment.

I would assume that with a minimal amount of research, you could find somewhere to go to school on the internet.

Other than that, there really is no other option for Middle School, except suffering through the pointless classes. Check out the "Comic Relief" area for help on that.

<&Darthmat> Cory, you ecxell me in phpBB3, I will mail you a dollar.
02-23-2008 01:45 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:My mom is to stupid to home school me (Even though I love her Biggrin)

What about unschooling? Also, check if there are any of these other alternative things somewhere near you.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-23-2008 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Inv3rt Offline
Rebel

Will Unschooling get me into collage or at least a GED?
02-24-2008 02:30 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

As far as I know, unschooling is exactly the same as homeschooling (legally), except you teach yourself stuff and don't rely on anyone else to teach you. Unless you want to. Basically, nobody tells you what to learn about and when.

So yeah, you can get into college and/or get a GED (once you're the right age for it) as well.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-24-2008 04:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Inv3rt Offline
Rebel

How can I sign up for that?

Also:

Is there a Online School for Middle school? All I found was High School.
02-24-2008 07:36 AM
Inv3rt Offline
Rebel

Keep thinking about it! I'm so close to Half Freedom from Bullys and bitchy teachers!!!!
02-24-2008 07:37 AM
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Woah woah woah...

Unschooling is legal? In the US, too?

I had no idea. Now that's some good news!

<&Darthmat> Cory, you ecxell me in phpBB3, I will mail you a dollar.
02-24-2008 08:07 AM
Inv3rt Offline
Rebel

Come on people!

Where do I sign up for Unschooling?

And Can you send me a MIDDLE SCHOOL Online website

Also, Can I get on it now or do I have to wait till next grade?
02-25-2008 10:26 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Look, man. If you want answers, get some patience. Saying "come on, mush" isn't helping your cause.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
02-25-2008 10:36 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Where do I sign up for Unschooling?

You don't... you get your mom to tell the school that she's going to homeschool you, and then she doesn't have to do anything more... you teach yourself stuff. But pretend that you're actually homeschooling as far as any legal person asks.

Quote:Currently, homeschooling is considered to span a spectrum from those who school-at-home to those who unschool. The school-at home designation is self-explanatory. This group revels in all the trappings of school! They may have the same desks used in the public schools, some of the same text books, and they may even start each day by ringing a bell and saying the pledge of allegiance. The parent assumes the role of teacher, preparing lesson plans, assigning homework or tests, and grading papers. Their "holy grail" is the search for the perfect curriculum, the one that will cover everything their children need to learn.

What is it that unschoolers do? Where do you find a curriculum package that will help you to be an unschooler? The reason that unschooling is hard to explain and hard for some people to understand, is that it is not a technique that can be broken down to a step by step process. Rather, unschooling is an attitude, a way of life. Where most homeschooling puts the emphasis on what needs to be learned, unschooling puts the emphasis on who is doing the learning.
from here: http://unschooling.org/fun12_unschooling.htm

My internets are being slow right now, so here's a bunch of links I found so far:
http://unschooling.org/
http://privateschool.about.com/od/schoo ... Online.htm
http://www.gavirtualschool.org/
http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/default.asp

Hidden stuff:
02-25-2008 08:36 PM
55555 Offline
Rebel

I'm suspended from school for the rest of the school year and am currently taking online classes. They are just as bad as the real thing, and the teachers are even stupider than the ones at my old school.
02-27-2008 01:26 PM
David B. Offline
Renegade

I would go ahead and start taking High School level courses - if only on the account that Colleges really don't pay as much attention to middle school credits [I think . . . someone with more insight, please prove me wrong].
03-05-2008 04:40 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Middle school is a tough time for kids and for teachers; I have been a middle school teacher. However, the more people come up with bs stuff like "unschooling" the sooner homeschooling itself will become something that loses credibility. That's why they have the high stakes testing now, and there will be more ways to sort out who has a basic education and who doesn't.

What "unschooling" sounds like to me is a fraud; you get your parents to say they are teaching you at home and then do whatever you want to do. Hey, do you really think that is going to give you the basic education you need to COMPETE in a world where economics determines who gets to EAT?

I think this website is great for helping students come up with ways to deal with the reality of needing an education for a better life, but when you promote fraud and lying and misrepresentation you are teaching people to be less than honorable. When you piss away your chance to gain a basic education, and you are less than honorable, you are a good candidate for another of society's uncomfortable institutions: PRISON.

If your so damn smart, then why is school such a big deal, really? In fact, the "smart" kids are cruising through school and getting the good jobs, while those who now spend all their time trying to get around the inevitability of some day having to get a job and support themselves based on ability and knowledge, are wasting valuable time.

I see it every single day; kids who WISHED they had stayed in school now that they have ADULT responsibilities and very limited resources to meet the challenges. Kids whose parents didn't insist that they go to school--from middle school--and now cannot get any but the most labor-intensive jobs.

Kids who tell other kids they shouldn't have to go to school are the blind leading the blind.
04-09-2008 05:51 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

akdonn Wrote:Middle school is a tough time for kids and for teachers; I have been a middle school teacher. However, the more people come up with bs stuff like "unschooling" the sooner homeschooling itself will become something that loses credibility. That's why they have the high stakes testing now, and there will be more ways to sort out who has a basic education and who doesn't.
Basic education (math and english) ends at about the end of year 4. After that the only thing schools is trying to doing is wasting your time and trying to brainwash you.

Also, I've dropped out of 3 different schools (currently dropping out of 3rd) because I find them all too easy. The one I am currently leaving is university. I can learn faster at home with the internet, with no boredom.
Quote:What "unschooling" sounds like to me is a fraud; you get your parents to say they are teaching you at home and then do whatever you want to do. Hey, do you really think that is going to give you the basic education you need to COMPETE in a world where economics determines who gets to EAT?
You do realise you learn something every day? Also these kids will one day have to get a job. If they chose to do nothing it's their fault when they up working in factory. Let them make that choice.
Quote:I think this website is great for helping students come up with ways to deal with the reality of needing an education for a better life, but when you promote fraud and lying and misrepresentation you are teaching people to be less than honorable. When you piss away your chance to gain a basic education, and you are less than honorable, you are a good candidate for another of society's uncomfortable institutions: PRISON.
I repeat, basic education stops at year 5 (start). Once again, let them chose if they will do things that will result in them being in prison. It's their choice.
Quote:If your so damn smart, then why is school such a big deal, really? In fact, the "smart" kids are cruising through school and getting the good jobs, while those who now spend all their time trying to get around the inevitability of some day having to get a job and support themselves based on ability and knowledge, are wasting valuable time.
Because school is wasting my time. Right now I am working on gaining an income. If all goes to plan, which I'm sure it will, in 6 months I'll be making double what everyone at McDonalds does, for much less work.
Quote:I see it every single day; kids who WISHED they had stayed in school now that they have ADULT responsibilities and very limited resources to meet the challenges. Kids whose parents didn't insist that they go to school--from middle school--and now cannot get any but the most labor-intensive jobs.
These kids often are this situation because school and their parents failed to teach them responsibility and independence. They were probably crying out for help in their own way, but no one offered any. Then they end up hating school and their parents for not fulfilling their obligations.
Quote:Kids who tell other kids they shouldn't have to go to school are the blind leading the blind.
[/quote][/quote]There is a flaw with that statement. Who is to judge who is blind or not? No one can. Because who is to say the judges are not blind? Who is to say the judges judges are not blind? Ad infinitum.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
04-09-2008 09:14 PM