RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Birth... (if you could choose, would you have been born?)
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Birth... (if you could choose, would you have been born?)

I was talking to a guy in school about his family and it got to the point where he pretty much told me he was a accident and how his dad pulled that crap out of his ass about giving him life. I asked him if he would have wanted to be born if he had a choice and his answer surprised me.
I never expected a super positive person like him to say no to being born.. I predicted the whole conversation and I expected him to say yes but..

In a nutshell this post asks if you knew what you knew now then would you choose to be born in this world if you had a choice?

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2011 01:00 AM by SoulRiser.)
02-29-2008 01:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Re: Birth...

Its kinda hard to answer my own question.

The pros of birth- Being born has allowed me to play video games, see beautiful things of nature and meet people who are decent in their own way. I learned the feelings of Happiness, love, and trust and I also have eaten great food.

Cons- I was introduced to religions, controllers, death, awareness, Pain, sadness, etc(you get it).

I would answer more on this but my head kinda hurts now..

image hosting jpg
02-29-2008 01:24 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Yes, I would.

True, I've experienced some, erm, less than exemplary moments. Yes, there are some things I wouldn't mind changing. I've also been introduced to things I would have rather not have known about, if I could help it. But at the end of the day (or night, depending where I am), the pros of birth outweigh the cons.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-29-2008 03:23 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

I enjoy being alive.
02-29-2008 04:10 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

But you did choose to be here.
02-29-2008 05:55 AM
Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Kirby Wrote:But you did choose to be here.

No I didn't...

My mom and dad had jungle fever when they were young and the end result was me.. they didn't ask me Hey you wanna be born little man.. no they had sex and months later I became aware..

image hosting jpg
02-29-2008 07:34 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

One perfect day is worth a million bad ones.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
02-29-2008 08:22 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Yeah, I would choose to live. My life's good now and I wouldn't want to give it up.
02-29-2008 11:40 AM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I'd rather chose experience in living than not living anything at all. Even though life is bad at times, yeah, but eventually it all goes away so what's the care.
02-29-2008 07:26 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I'm glad I'm alive. I'd choose it over nothingness any day.

Quote:One perfect day is worth a million bad ones.

Quite true Smile

This reminds me of something I was thinking the other day... you can't bring a person into the world for their own sake. You can adopt one for their own sake, to make their life better than it was before and stuff, but that doesn't apply to spawning a new one, because they didn't exist before that. They get no say in the matter at all... and they get very little say in just about anything for years after they're born too. When you put it that way, it's no wonder so many people are depressed...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-01-2008 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Edit: I really don't know.
A year later, this is still bullshit.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
03-01-2008 02:28 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Well ah.

I wouldn't say I was happy to be born. My life is mostly shit with my paranoid Mom and Dad who disappears a lot.

I suppose I should stay alive to help you guys cope with your Anti-school furies =D
03-01-2008 09:18 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

A heroic person would say their glad to be alive if only for the chance to save others. I'd like to be like that, but I'd also like to be Hero of Time. Frankly, if I do something really awesome, like save the Hero of Time, then die as a result, living up to that moment would be worth it. So yes. I'll be born, for a chance at doing heroic stuff sometime.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
03-04-2008 01:40 PM
Ariadnae Basilisk Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

If I knew what I know now, I'd still choose life, but I'd make different choices.

[Image: Luffy.gif]
03-04-2008 09:23 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:A heroic person would say their glad to be alive if only for the chance to save others. I'd like to be like that, but I'd also like to be Hero of Time. Frankly, if I do something really awesome, like save the Hero of Time, then die as a result, living up to that moment would be worth it. So yes. I'll be born, for a chance at doing heroic stuff sometime.

I like the way you think. Yes

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-04-2008 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Ariadnae Basilisk Wrote:If I knew what I know now, I'd still choose life, but I'd make different choices.

as funny as this sounds... i did understand everything when i got older Laugh
03-05-2008 01:00 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

eww heroic...
Laugh

image hosting jpg
03-13-2008 05:35 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:But you did choose to be here.
I have to agree.

And, to answer the first post, yes, I would still choose to be here.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
03-13-2008 05:48 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

your all seeing this as "live or not live," but wasnt the question "would you want to be born now? or where you are?

well, i do enjoy many things about my life now, but if i could think about this as like, i wouldnt actually be missing anything, it'd just be differant, i would so not choose to be born human, no offense to you humans, but it sux. maybe another plain of existance, or maybe i'd just wait till we finally blow ourselves up and then start a new, or a hawk, thatd be great, or even maybe i'd choose to be born as a mutant, kinda human, but still better....

hmmmmmmmmmmm........

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
03-16-2008 02:14 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

nice thinking cryps...

If I could choose what to be born in this world I would be born a wolf or hawk or bird..

I always liked wolfs because they were animals that symbolized strength and freedom to me..
Birds on the other hand I would see them soaring in the sky and I wold look toward the sky while thinking of how neat it would be to soar in the air untamed.

Ehh those are my thoughts.

image hosting jpg
03-18-2008 02:37 PM
Sanjuro Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

As Mulla Nasraduine said "where we go before were born and where we go after must be very bad. After all we arrive sceaming and leave crying and reluctently"! So to answer yes I'd still like to be born if not because of that because of all the good I've done at my school.

Shickamaru-kun
03-19-2008 10:32 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

My purpose in life is to protect those I love, or die trying. So yes I choose to be born, if only to fulfill my purpose. Also just to clear it up, my mother and father don't count. They are sick, twisted, cruel ageist fuckers. They are the people who fucked up my life! Rocket Ranting Grindteeth Shooting Stabhead Tripleevil Thunder

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
04-26-2008 09:54 PM
cp Offline
~crazy~

yeah i would live. sure theres lots of bad shit in the world but lots of other people have lived through it so why cant i? its all about surviving and being happy (if you can).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein
[Image: new.gif]
05-06-2008 10:52 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Bump because this topic deserves it.

I would definitly choose to be born. Yes, there is lots of negative stuff in my life, such as school and my parents always arguing, but there's always something positive that makes everything else worth it.

And this > Nothingness.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
03-11-2009 05:21 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Zherneboh Wrote:
Bullshit.

i agree thats bullshit.

id choose to be born. not for my self but for those who need me.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
03-11-2009 07:12 AM
chibichibibear Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

This is a really interesting question, and I automatically know my answer: no.

Because A) had I not been born, I wouldn't really care because I never would have existed. B) my family is really poor, and probably should have had two less kids(at least, if not no kids at all...) They'd all benefit had I not existed C) I'm not that great a person, so not like I'd be depriving the world of an amazing brain or talent had I not existed(not like if, say, DaVinci or Edison had never existed, although it could be argued someone else would have come up with those things, just later)

So nah. Sure, life is fun..sometimes...but what's there to miss if I haven't ever experienced it?

Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician and writer.

My posts are usually lengthy, and I can't help it much... Sorry.
03-11-2009 02:13 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I'm not that great a person, so not like I'd be depriving the world of an amazing brain or talent had I not existed
Everyone has at least one thing they add to the world that nobody else can do, or do quite as well. You just haven't figured out what that is yet Smile

Hidden stuff:
03-12-2009 06:05 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Wow its been a while since I made this post(How time flies). Thanks for bumping me 5.

I'm alot more strengthened since I first made this topic but I guess my answer still remains the same currently at what I know.

The only things I got now that comfort me are the personal possessions I own and I have no great goals I desire to do. right now all I care about doing is getting through life and reaching the goal.

Maybe I'll change in the future or something but Now I would rather not have been born from my Mom and Dads wrestling fun.

Why struggle through life if I never had to do it to begin with..

image hosting jpg
03-13-2009 08:14 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Birth... (if you could choose, would you have been born?)

No, I wish I had never been born, because now that I'm here there are things I like too much to allow me to kill myself.
11-15-2011 03:24 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
RE: Birth... (if you could choose, would you have been born?)

necrobump.jpg
11-15-2011 03:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Homosexuality ain't a choice nor are you born with it Asder Miller 13 6,234 04-26-2013 11:15 AM
Last Post: Lime
  A father's rights before the baby is born. UnschoolShqiponjë 71 44,459 12-08-2011 03:28 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Are intellegent people born from hard times? Abandoning Ship 21 7,580 09-25-2008 07:39 AM
Last Post: thewake