RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer Hours - If you have Any?
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Volunteer Hours - If you have Any?

How many volunteer hours do you have, that is to say, if you need them to be able to graduate High School? In my school we need 40 hours, and I'm in Grade Eleven and feel horrible and stupid because I have not a single hour out of those needed 40.

I am really going to get serious about it. I have ideas of what I'll do and plan to get a volunteer job this summer, or perhaps before summer comes. I feel stupid and lazy because I haven't done a single hour. My friends have. Some have gone past the needed hours. By Grade Eleven though, I don't have much time! My friends seem a little shocked when I say I have none, and teachers always say we should have hours by now.

But I don't see need of worrying over it. What's done is done, there's still lots of time.

I get frustrated, that's all. I like the idea honestly of getting involved in the community. I want to get out of my shy shell and do stuff. It's just stressful seeing as I've already got school, which is sort of our 'job' right now. In summer I am free and will admit, I DO become a little lazy, as far as working goes. I want to relax. And I know a volunteer job will still give me lots of free time, but it's hard finding the time when I want to.

But I suppose I have to go for it, really plan it, and be doing something soon.

Anyone else having the same problems? Or same feelings toward Volunteer hours?
02-08-2008 06:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I don't even know if I need volunteer hours. Kinda ironic they call 'em volunteer hours when you're being essentially forced to do them. Even if I have to do them I'll be sure to sew the seeds of chaos and disorder just out of spite.

K
S
02-08-2008 07:12 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I have over 100 that Im not getting them signed for untill grad night
02-08-2008 08:16 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I don't have any, thank the Goddess.

That's fucking bull shit though. You have to volunteer to work in order to graduate? Fuck that shit, I'd take them to court for Child Labor.

Bitches.
02-08-2008 10:01 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

"Volunteer" isn't exactly volunteer.
02-08-2008 10:06 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Glad for your support Oni-Chiisu Cool I do think it is good to become active in your community and even volunteer, but I dislike that it is forced upon us, a requirement in order to graduate. I know it'll help me for trying to get in future jobs, but if I didn't have the stress of having to get the hours I might be more interested in it. It's more pressure added with everything else!
Lucky you don't have it, at least every school doesn't force it upon you!

And Anonymous1.0, I DO think it is ironic. While it is volunteering in the sense, they could have called it community hours. Instead, "Volunteering Hours" is the name, which is ironic because we really don't have the choice to 'volunteer' we have to. So in a way it's not really 'volunteer' hours at all.

And that's awesome Maxwell! You've done a lot! Hopefully you get them signed soon. Even if you had to do it for school, I hope it was enjoyable.

And I agree youvebeenthunderstruck, it's not Cuckoo

If I have to volunteer, I want it to be good. I'll see what happens.
02-08-2008 10:11 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:"Volunteer" isn't exactly volunteer.

Shit, who're you telling? I remember volunteering for some business crap two years ago, but the employees were lazy fucks. They dropped all their shit on me to do. Have you fucking arranged a wedding three times over only to get no thanks for your work? Three times over because the bitch who wanted it done for her wouldn't fucking agree to anything I offered her. Then, after all my ass busting, I talked to their employer. All I got was "That's nice. Now get the fuck out of my office."
02-08-2008 10:17 AM
Almosthere Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I need fifteen to get past my freshmen year, and fifteen more every year after that. At least they don't lie to us by calling them 'volunteer hours' (they're 'service hours' here). They've found other ways to lie.

I believe strongly in finishing what i

one of the most interesting differences between school and prison, is that prior entering the second, you are read your rights. The less you know the better.

'Why is it that every time you open your mouth, you say something to annoy me?'
'With all do respect sir, i could ask you the same question.'

[Image: 8a21bd064d.gif]
02-08-2008 02:55 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

In my (Jew) school, volunteer hours are required, but to get an award you have to have X amount each year.

Like I'm gonna do volunteer hours for the award and not the feeling of having done something good. Sarcasticclap

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-08-2008 10:29 PM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Re: Volunteer Hours - If you have Any?

I'll be starting my hours soon. Some time soon, next week, I'll have to get my police record checked because I believe most stuff requires you to have it checked out. Then I'll maybe volunteer at a school or something. They said I can go and volunteer on PA days and stuff at different schools, get six or seven hours by doing one day like that.

I feel I really need to get them. Other people I know have more hours, alot more by this point in school..

Hate how the teachers and some kids make me feel like a complete lazy idiot for not getting any hours done. I have enough to do with school and all that.

*sigh* Noo
03-07-2008 09:43 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

We aren't required to do any. I volunteer at a local animal shelter, but out of my free will. Not only do I have a good feeling I've helped out, I also enjoy working with animals (most of it is just cleaning, but there's some personal contact as well).

I think it's really pointless to make you "volunteer". If you don't want to do it, you won't do it well.

Can you at least choose what organisation to "volunteer" at?

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
03-07-2008 10:34 PM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Volunteering/community service...yep, I've got those. I don't know, nor do I particularly care, how many hours I've got to do.

I'm not opposed to volunteerism, but when it's forced, then I get irritated. Since when does doing something extracurricular have any bearing on your education??

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-08-2008 06:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Volunteer" Hours Guest 19 4,382 05-09-2007 07:41 AM
Last Post: Will