RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help!
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
need help!

Im trying to convince my parents to homeschool me. like the kind where you do weekly meets or online courses. but my parents just think im complaining and are not even considering my porposal sereously.

my dad just says that if im home schooled I will "not learn social struture" and "school just teaches you to deal with things" and that im learning to work in an organized system. When i say i want to furfer my education he just rebuts that with the same argument.

can you guys help make my parents take me seriously and come up with somthing for a good argument. I just dont think its possible to keep going through school.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
03-30-2008 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: need help!

Read these:
http://www.school-survival.net/answers/ ... lArguments
http://www.school-survival.net/answers/ ... cialSkills

Also, you might have to just start unschooling yourself to prove to your parents that you're really serious.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-31-2008 12:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

--monkey666-- Wrote:Im trying to convince my parents to homeschool me. like the kind where you do weekly meets or online courses. but my parents just think im complaining and are not even considering my porposal sereously.

How did you put your proposal forward? Did it sound like you were whining? At any rate, it has every right to be taken seriously.

Quote:my dad just says that if im home schooled I will "not learn social struture" and "school just teaches you to deal with things"

Bull-effin-shit it does. If it did, then why would you be asking for homeschooling in the first place?

Quote:and that im learning to work in an organized system. When i say i want to furfer my education he just rebuts that with the same argument.

Since your education is hardly being furthered in that great "organized system", I'd still attempt to convince your parents that homeschooling may very well be the best solution for you.

can you guys help make my parents take me seriously and come up with somthing for a good argument. I just dont think its possible to keep going through school.[/quote]

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
03-31-2008 04:55 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Sounds like your dad's mind is made up. What meaningful arguments can you come up with that will reach him at HIS level? Why should HE consider your proposal since everybody he knows has kids who go to school?

Your parents both might see your proposal as something that will further inconvenience them. HOME + SCHOOL might sound like a formula for WORK. Do you have some kind of plan for getting this home school proposal to give you a meaningful education? Can it do BETTER than traditional school?

You say "I just dont think its possible to keep going through school" but plenty of kids say that. What is it that makes your situation so different than others, and why should your parents take your whine seriously?
04-09-2008 04:30 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

akdonn Wrote:....whine.....

Jesus Christ, it is not a whine. He is obviously having problems at school that are real. Go to hell.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-09-2008 09:21 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

akdonn thats bullshit.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
04-10-2008 01:57 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

What if you get a part-time job to learn social structure and how to deal with things, and then learn outside of school?

akdonn has a point that they may just see your proposal as something that could inconvenience them... My mom gave me the same kind of "social structure" arguments when I first started asking about quitting school. I think a lot of it was also that my parents thought it would be a time investment on their part, and/or cost them a lot of money.

Plus a lot of people just never thought of questioning school. I suggest continuing to talk about the issue, find out their reasoning, suggest alternative ways, explain your problems with school, advantages of another approach, and especially how your plan will help you lead to at least as good an outcome in a few years than school.

Maybe pursue some learning outside of school and show them what you can accomplish on your own?
04-23-2008 09:14 AM
Tears_Of_Wind Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

well your dad is half right like you do leanr to sociolize with others and stuff in school,but if you think about it sometimes being in social gathern of your classmates in not as fun as some people thing like you have racism ullying and stuff in it.Try talking intelligent to your parents because it sounds like they are taking you as a kindergarden kid so try writing them a letter if they wont listen to you speak about how you are concerned about your education and make it sound like the whole class thing makes you not get enough study as you want to or the school brings bad study influence on you hope it works.

NEON..NEOn..NEon..Neon..neon
04-23-2008 11:47 AM