RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How WE feel
ilyce200 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
How WE feel

I'm writing an article for my zine on teachers and how students feel towards them. Please leave a reply and contribute to my zine.
04-10-2008 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Re: How WE feel

More specific request?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-10-2008 11:28 AM
ilyce200 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I'm just looking for comments about teachers. Nothing specific.
04-10-2008 11:33 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Teachers are human. They're just as ignorant and just as caring as anybody else. They're just annoying to us because we have to deal with them almost every day.
04-10-2008 11:39 AM
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Teachers aren't really "teachers". They're just there to patrol and make sure you do your work. Most teacher just take work out of a book, not from their heads, and are slaves to the curriculum.

As mentioned, they're humans. Unfortunately, their conscience believes they're doing good for the students.
04-10-2008 02:10 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Depends on the teacher. There are some I respect, and some I can't stand, and the rest are at various stages inbetween. They're just like other people, only they have quite a bit of power over students, and as the saying goes, "Power tends to corrupt". The teachers I've respected the most were generally the ones who used their power the least. I didn't meet anyone who was completely immune to it, though.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-11-2008 06:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The exact quote that SoulRiser stated is: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." It is attributed to Lord Action from a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in April 1887.

Imagine that, 121 years ago THIS MONTH!

To answer the question: I think, as a teacher myself, that a lot of teachers are just people who are looking for a form of employment that is an extension of being a parent; they got kids, they generally like kids, they want to make a difference in kid's lives, so they become teachers. The power thing is part of needing to control students the way they need to control their own kids--because their kids are a kind of possession.

Our system of public education in the U.S. is based on an agricultural model that was established back when people mostly worked in farming and needed the summers off to bring in the crops. In the fall the kids went to school because they weren't needed as much on the farm and there were some basic things they needed to learn (The three Rs--Readin', Ritin', and 'Rithmetic) but it wasn't a big priority.

With the Industrial Revolution of the 1900s education became more urbanized and guys like John Dewey argued for more flexible learning opportunities and involvement of the community in the schools. While previously a lot of parents didn't really see why they needed to send their kids to school, the ideas of "progressive education" led to schools being established virtually everywhere in the country and attendance at certain ages being mandatory. Part of this was because it was believed that our form of government depended upon voters being able to understand how our system worked in order to elect capable leaders.

Today public school teachers are mostly government workers who get a college degree and attend at least a year more of training to become certified by the state. Public Education is still mostly controlled at the local level by school boards, however, and because of their powerful union teachers in this country are not measured by the quality of their teaching but by their ability to make it from day to day in a classroom with a bunch of ever more difficult brats--who are the result of an "entitlement society."

Perhaps if there was a "merit" system for teachers, the bad teachers would go away. Perhaps if parents could decide for themselves what public school they want their kid to attend, the schools would compete for students and improve. Perhaps if school was year-round and kids were sorted into vocational occupational schools if they didn't have a chance of going to college, then teachers would be more effective. Unfortunately, the system of public education is so big, and so expensive, and so in-grown, that change comes very slowly. Teachers might someday be part of finding a better way to serve the need to educate future citizens, but as it is now teachers are a big part of the problem.

The other part of the problem is parents.
04-11-2008 04:52 PM