RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Re: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:"an idea with no proof is called an opinion, and it DOES NOT BELONG IN SCHOOL!!!!!"

Holy fuck, rebel. You're completely wrong. Opinions absolutely belong in school.

I think he means that opinions should not be taught in school, not that they don't belong at all.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
04-15-2008 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Of course they should, unless they treat it as the only thing.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
04-15-2008 06:19 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

unschooling for life when it comes to religious convictions.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
04-15-2008 07:40 AM
Fanatic

Maybe being religious, but both evolution and creationism have the right to be taught in school.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 07:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

School does not have the right to be taught in school.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-15-2008 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

You're confusing me. :waah:

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 09:42 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I'm confusing myself too Smile
Don't mind me.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
04-15-2008 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Maybe being religious, but both evolution and creationism have the right to be taught in school.
However, the big issue isn't really whether creationism should or shouldn't be taught in school, it's whether it should be taught as an alternative to evolution in a science class (which I personally believe shouldn't happen). I doubt that many people would be offended if it was taught in a theological or historical context. I myself am currently learning about the Incan Creation Myth, albeit in Spanish class. Creationism has its place in school; it has had an undeniably large cultural influence, both historically in going into the future, and to ignore the fact that it exists would be ignorant. However, to include it within biology would be, at best, a very questionable academic choice.

Formerly Headspace
04-15-2008 10:43 AM
Fanatic

I don't think so, because it depends on a person's religious beliefs. Just make sure that you cover both of them equally, not favoring one over the other.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 10:50 AM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I don't think so, because it depends on a person's religious beliefs. Just make sure that you cover both of them equally, not favoring one over the other.
That, however, creates three problems. First, it implies that evolution is a religious point of view. It is not. Second, it implies that creationism has scientific veracity. It does not. And third, you would then have to teach, in a scientific context the creation beliefs of the following religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, Wicca, and various African and Native American Tribal beliefs, due to the restrictions placed on the Government preventing them from endorsing any single religion.

Formerly Headspace
04-15-2008 11:30 AM
Fanatic

All religions should be presented equally, it's still not fair to only teach one or the other while ignoring the counterpart.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 11:38 AM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:All religions should be presented equally, it's still not fair to only teach one or the other while ignoring the counterpart.
But that's just the thing. Evolution is not a religious belief. Therefore there should be no religious counterpart taught in science class.

Formerly Headspace
04-15-2008 11:41 AM
Fanatic

Literally, you're right, if you want to arbitrarily say this is science, this is not, that's fine, but nevertheless, they should at least be mentioned. I don't see the harm in simply OFFERING the alternative.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 11:43 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

what i meant is that opinions should not be taught as fact in school, because it leads to abuse of power and manipulation of the students. the only way to be as objective as possible is to teach whatever theory has the most proof. intelligent design has none, evolution has some. could evolution be wrong? of course. maybe God did create everything. but we should teach whatever has the best evidence to back it up.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
Fanatic

"the only way to be as objective as possible is to teach whatever theory has the most proof."

But again, that's still biased to one side.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Literally, you're right, if you want to arbitrarily say this is science, this is not, that's fine, but nevertheless, they should at least be mentioned. I don't see the harm in simply OFFERING the alternative.
There's nothing arbitrary about it. Scientific evidence is taken from observations from our environment, and it is these observations that provide the basis for what we know can be true. Evolution is based on such observations as fossil evidence, the geological time scale, radiometric dating, lab testing and even direct observation. Creationism, on the other hand, lacks any of the aforementioned qualities. Aside from being unobservable, untestable, and unsubstantiated, it breaks one of the main tenants of science, wherein the conclusion must be based on observations. Creationism, on the other hand, takes its conclusion and attempts to find and interpret evidence for it, which is an absolute faux pas to any scientist.

Formerly Headspace
04-15-2008 12:07 PM
Fanatic

Your opinion has a lot of merit, but I still think that if you ignore creationism entirely, that's not right; maybe you don't have to teach it, but at least mention it.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 12:11 PM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Your opinion has a lot of merit, but I still think that if you ignore creationism entirely, that's not right; maybe you don't have to teach it, but at least mention it.
But what would be the point of mentioning it in a science class if it's not science? The material would be essentially irrelevant in such a setting.

Formerly Headspace
04-15-2008 12:15 PM
Fanatic

You're right.

<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
04-15-2008 12:17 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Religion can not be taught as fact, at least not in school.

But banning it from a classroom is just as bad as banning Evolution. (And that is really damn bad for anyone with even slight intelligence who has to go through eight years of that, believe me.)

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-15-2008 09:17 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

things like intelligent design and creationism should be offered in either religion a or philosophy class. but if there's no proof, then it's simply not science and shouldn't be in science class. evolution and creationism aren't the only two theories about how species develop. if we allow one in that has no scientific backup, it sets a precedent that could turn "science" education into a mashup of opinions, groundless theories, and meaningless speculation just for the sake of not offending anybody.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
04-15-2008 11:35 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Blarrrrrr.

Since when is creationism an alternative to evolution? They can fit together perfectly fine. Someone started the "big bang" (which, afaik, scientists haven't explained yet)... and then things evolved from there. There ya go. Nobody can prove that someone started it, so they can just suggest it as a theory. It's not like they never do that, do they? Then again, they don't tend to mention much of anything that isn't going to be on a test.

Hidden stuff:
04-16-2008 05:51 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I'm not big on the big bang theory, it just doesn't sound....plausible to me.
I don't really have a theory on how the universe started but I think the idea of saying a god did it just over complicates things if you actually think about it.
I mean, where did a highly advanced being like a god come from, if there has to be a creator then someone had to make him and thus is more advanced and better than god and then someone to make that guy and so on which means it goes on forever or that...that....this theory hurts my brain because of it's all it's impossibilities.
If you think it's possible for something to be eternal *always has and always will exist* then why do you even need a god in there at all when the universe could have just always existed.
I'm pretty sure there's something I forgot to mention here but I obviously forgot to mention it.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
04-16-2008 06:26 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Neither creationism or evolution should be taught in a "Science" class. They should *both* be taught in Philosophical classes like Atomic Theory / Round Earth / the Laws of Friction were taught before they were proved.

I don't believe the wacky evolutionist scientists but I don't believe the wacky creationist scientists either. Neither of them have a leg to stand on, evolutionists started out as a quasi-racist anti-Christian hypotheses and the creationists were the logical "equal and opposite reaction" to it. They're both wack but some good might come form it before something eventually replaces evolution and creates a debate with it's "equal and opposite reaction"

I could go on all day giving examples why I think evolution is bunk, but I doubt I could sway very many here and the creationists aren't exactly helping the situation either. Every thing the evolutionists and creationists look at is described from the evolutionist/creationist view of the world and that skews the picture and hides the facts. For every topic there is the evolutionist-mainstream take on it and the creationist alternative take on it... both sides twist the facts... what the average person gets is not the Facts but instead evolutionist/creationist dogma.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
04-16-2008 06:28 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Something made earth. What made that something? What made that something?

I can only think that something timeless could make any sense out of this.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-16-2008 07:53 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

i don't see where all this doubt about evolution comes from. if you really look at it, there's some pretty damn good evidence supporting it. and where the hell did this "some things are too complex for nature to make, it must have been God" thing come from? complexity is a relative term. are people really so arrogant that they think their ideas of "complex" and "simple" are the universal standard? they say a human eye is too intricate for nature to make. well how the hell would they know? are they Gods? how else would they know when something is so complicated that it needs God to step in and finish the job? this is the problem i have with intelligent design; it's all based on opinions an relative standards and has no real objective evidence.

04-16-2008 10:43 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Sometimes, belief can be far stronger then proof. And if it is not hurting anyone except themselves, and they don't shove it down their child's throat, I think it's alright.

04-16-2008 11:02 AM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

Liquid, having piqued my curiosity so much, would you care to elaborate on what you believe to be the problems with evolution.

Formerly Headspace
04-16-2008 12:41 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

ben stein is a fucking dumbass,somebody should shoot him for spreading the bogous arguments that he showed....maby i will*loads rifle*

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
04-19-2008 03:57 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Creationism is Science,
You know why? Because if you take religion out of the picture(Judaism, Christianity, Pastafarianism, etc.) it's just an idea. All scientific theories started as ideas, maybe based on something out in the world, but ideas nonetheless. A religion could just as well claim evolution as it's supreme doctrine like many religions claim creationism.
I don't see how you can call creationism itself religion.
All there needs to be is a theory to be made about creationism, and that theory isn't Intelligent Design.
therenegadeoffunk Wrote:ben stein is a fucking dumbass,somebody should shoot him for spreading the bogous arguments that he showed....maby i will*loads rifle*
Ben Stein is awesome, maybe a little cooky, but he makes eyedrops fun.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-19-2008 07:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Intelligence is shunned . . . Unwilling_Authority 36 22,487 01-13-2012 11:06 AM
Last Post: Geeksta
  Intelligence vs. Effort Guest 22 18,438 12-21-2011 10:44 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  The importance of human intelligence. HeartofShadows 22 5,999 04-20-2010 08:33 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Intelligence - Is it real? Pieman 8 3,489 03-14-2009 12:34 AM
Last Post: Firion